Thread: Rod Holder Mounting Question - Hewescraft

Default Rod Holder Mounting Question - Hewescraft

Hello all-

First off, I have read through old posts and seen some of your setups. But I have a new to me Pacific Explorer 240 and I cant figure out what rod holders to use, and where and how to mount them. Here is my issues... My boat has the small deck rail on each side, which would be a great place to mount them, except the rails are pretty short, so mounting 2 clamp on holders to each rail would put my rod holders pretty close together. The next option is mounting one to the round deck rail, and then one flat mounted one on the gunwale closer to the cabin. This would be the best option for spacing the holders out, but then I'm drilling holes into my gunwale. Which I'm fine with, once I know which holders I'm going with because they'll be permanent. The other option is mounting one set further towards the transom, but on my port side I have my gas filler cap in the way.

So I just wanted to see what you guys are running, what brand, and type. My goal is to have 4 rod holders total on the back deck. I would like them to be adjustable so we can use them for halibut rods, but then also switch direction when trolling for salmon. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please include pictures if you can. Thank You!

-Adam

Oh and you can also text me pictures too if that's easier 841- 6569
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    Hello all-

First off, I have read through old posts and seen some of your setups. But I have a new to me Pacific Explorer 240 and I cant figure out what rod holders to use, and where and how to mount them. Here is my issues... My boat has the small deck rail on each side, which would be a great place to mount them, except the rails are pretty short, so mounting 2 clamp on holders to each rail would put my rod holders pretty close together. The next option is mounting one to the round deck rail, and then one flat mounted one on the gunwale closer to the cabin. This would be the best option for spacing the holders out, but then I'm drilling holes into my gunwale. Which I'm fine with, once I know which holders I'm going with because they'll be permanent. The other option is mounting one set further towards the transom, but on my port side I have my gas filler cap in the way.

So I just wanted to see what you guys are running, what brand, and type. My goal is to have 4 rod holders total on the back deck. I would like them to be adjustable so we can use them for halibut rods, but then also switch direction when trolling for salmon. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please include pictures if you can. Thank You!

-Adam

Oh and you can also text me pictures too if that's easier 841- 6569
    Iíll send you a message on what I did in the same situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Iíll send you a message on what I did in the same situation.

Send it to me too please, I'm in the same boat, no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by grantypoo View Post
    Send it to me too please, I'm in the same boat, no pun intended.
    Will do.

Could you message me how you placed your rod holders too, I am struggling with this one.

Thanks

This is a North River not a Hewes but the idea is the same & this separation works well for trolling. Each holder points perpendicular to the hull.

Attachment 98497

Attempt #2 with the **** picture!

Seward Rockfish Sept 2018.jpg
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

You may find more information on the hewescraft owners forum.

http://www.hewescraftowners.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonsmw View Post
    Could you message me how you placed your rod holders too, I am struggling with this one.

Thanks
    Sent

The Scotty Orca rod holders are pretty nice. Locking bases and quick release for the rod. If you mount to the rail add a screw through the tube and base to keep it from rotating.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Been using Scotty Striker rod holders for quite a few years, never had a problem with them. Solid and strong.

I have Scotty Orcas, Strikers and Cabelas Quick Draws. I like them all fine. I think a big thing to consider is which type works best with the different rods you use. I went to lower profile handle halibut rods and found myself using the Quick Draws almost exclusively as they also accommodate my spinning and trolling gear without the rods rolling in the holder. Nice to have 3 different style rod holders that all work with the same Scotty bases.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    The Scotty Orca rod holders are pretty nice. Locking bases and quick release for the rod. If you mount to the rail add a screw through the tube and base to keep it from rotating.
    They are nice.
    Have a set on my boat with the flush mount's.
    Another thing you can do with the rail mounts is wrap thin rubber around the rail first.
    A tourniquet works well.

They work good for getting stuck flyrods apart too.

My gunnels are too low to comfortably mount rod holders there and be able to work around the railing. So I did this. Not a Hewes though.

I love my Traxstech stuff. I can move the rod holders, beer holders and downrigger holders anywhere I want them or even remove them all for a clean gunnel. Very easy to install too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I love my Traxstech stuff. I can move the rod holders, beer holders and downrigger holders anywhere I want them or even remove them all for a clean gunnel. Very easy to install too.
    I never did get my finders fee for making that recommendation Rob
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I never did get my finders fee for making that recommendation Rob
    I left it on your boat this summer when I stopped by to check on it for you. Darn Ravens must have snatched the cash off the deck.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859