Thread: Granite Creek/Six Mile 2 April Report

Default Granite Creek/Six Mile 2 April Report

This is easily the earliest Iíve floated anything in AK. After the normal first trip of the year fumbling around I finally made it to the put-in just up stream from the Granite Creek Capmground. I was solo so I just bike shuttled the 4 1/2 miles after dropping gear and moving the truck to the takeout. I was extra cautious around blind corners not knowing what to expect. There were a half a dozen sweepers that I either walked the boat under or over. I forgot to bring a saw unfortunately.. Hopefully someone will do some work on this reach. It definitely needs it this year. The water was low but here were no big problems floating it in my 13ícat. Iíd be reluctant to float a bigger boat until the water comes up and the wood is cleared out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems like that would be a great place to live in retirement, or if someone worked on the slope.
    Part One https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cfnrock.shtml
    There is also a Part Two

Is it considered Granite Creek up stream of 6 mile raft put in? Read that Forest Service says 6 mile is non motorized. Nothing about Granite creek.

Granite Creek joins the East Fork of Six Mile just downstream of the Granite Creek campground. Most of the time that almost doubles the flow. There wasnít much runoff coming down the East Fork from Johnson Pass this early though. The East Fork is formed just upstream from Granite Creek where Bench and Center Creek merge.

I thought about doing this float 10 times. Looks like a blast. How far up can you put in?

Iíve put in at Bertha Creek campground but itís only floatable in a raft after a good rain. Otherwise itís just too bony. I think anything above Bertha Creek would be tough with oars. I usually put in underneath the hwy bridge upstream of the Granite Creek campground. Itís a pretty easy spot to launch.