Pack/Frame/Holster 8lb 6.5oz
    10x25 Binos 8.9oz
    15 Rounds Ammo/Carrier 1lb 1oz
    TP 10.7oz
    Rain Jacket 1lb 7.2oz
    Knives 9.6oz
    Compass 3oz

Total Weight 76.39 LBS

This is my loaded sheep pack for a September 2 week hunt w/ two people. Fortunately I will be sharing some of the load with my partner. I do have a few thing to add yet such as a saw, a couple contractor bags, rifle care kit, etc. Any suggestions on what to leave behind, where I'm too heavy, or things I need to add?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default I'd leave

I'd leave the following behind:

handgun - you already have a rifle
    washrag/towel - conveniences that you can do without
    GPS - never had a need for one in sheep country
    I also foundit interesting you're carrying crampons but not an ice ax
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Hand gun,saw,water filter,you have 2 water proof matches?? get ride of the bug dope and pack a head net...thats it for now...

Default Ice Axe

I will be carrying an ice axe, didn't include that in the pack weight. Sheep Man, I have waterproof matches in two different places, just in case. Also, you wouldn't recommend bringing a water filter? Also, how do you cut off the horns without a saw?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default the bug

I've had the bug before. My water filter goes with me. As for blackfoot, perhaps he's carrying out the skull.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

i'm ditching the compass, wipes, hand sanitizer, bug dope, water filter (bring tablets or somethign lighter and easier to throw away if you get sick of it) depending on where you go, i'd ditch the crampons, keep the ice axe, drop the handgun/ammo/holster, alot of little stuff would be gone for me. keep it simple, clothes, knives, optics, gun, tent/sleeping bag and pack...garbage bags and ixe axe, camera, gps and a paper map.

also i'd leave, lens pen, pocketknife, towel, wash aag, first aid kit, if you have duct tape and TP you can fix just about anything on your body, a few band aids or something is fine, i always carry migrane pills, i can't hunt with a headache, i sit around and cry like a little girl...headaches and me don't get along...lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default not bad...

Leave the handgun, shed the three pounds.
    A pack around 35lbs each for two people for two weeks isnt bad.

Frank

Default 35 lbs each?

I wish!! My partner will have to have his 16 lbs of food, his sleeping bag and pad, his clothes, etc. The shared weight will only equal about 31.84 lbs, which means that can reduce my pack weight by 15 lbs. I think he can carry the handgun:-) I can't say I am going to ditch as much as BRWNBR, wow. No crampons in the middle of September at 5000+ feet? The towel and wash rag together only weigh 3 oz. I think it would be nice to rinse my face once or twice.

Handgun Loaded 3lb 2.5oz Nope
    Rifle w/Scope 6lb 15oz
    Food/Dry Bag 16lb 6oz
    Sleeping Bag/Jacket 5lb 3oz
    Clothes 3lb 4.5oz Only what you are wearing, maybe a light synthetic or fleece top and an extra pair o socks
    Tent w/o Poles 5lb 15.5oz
    Sleeping Pad 1lb 10.2oz
    Game Bags 1lb 1.6oz You only need 3 little ones
    Rain Pant 7.3oz
    Towel 2.1oz Nope
    Wash Rag 0.9oz Nope
    Tent Poles/Stakes 1lb 10.3oz
    Spotting Scope 1lb 15oz
    Tripod 1lb 9.7oz
    Water Filter 14.3oz Nope
    Crampons 1lb 7.3oz Nope
    Headlamp 3oz
    GPS 5.4oz Nope
    Bug Dope 2.3oz Nope
    Lighter 1.3oz
    Stove Fuel/Bottle 1lb 14oz
    Stove/Cookware/Lighter/Utensils 1lb 9.3oz
    50ft Nylon Cord 2.9oz
    Rangefinder 7.1oz
    First Aid/Repair Kit 9.1oz Nope
    Water Carrying Bag 2.1oz Nope
    Emergency Blanket 2oz Nope
    Waterproof Matches 0.3oz
    Candle 1.1oz Nope
    Tootbrush w/5ft Duct Tape 1oz
    Pocket Knife 2oz
    Lens Pen 0.8oz
    Full 2 Liter Platypus w/Tube 5lb 1oz Get it as you go along
    Baby Wipes 2.4oz Hell yes, takes the place of wash rag/TP
    Waterproof Matches 0.3oz
    Mini Leatherman 3.4oz Nope
    Toothpaste 0.9oz
    Hand Sanitizer 2.4oz Nope
    Pack/Frame/Holster 8lb 6.5oz No holster
    10x25 Binos 8.9oz
    15 Rounds Ammo/Carrier 1lb 1oz Are you a bad shot?
    TP 10.7oz Baby wipes instead remeber
    Rain Jacket 1lb 7.2oz
    Knives 9.6oz Buy a $5 victronox, it weighs 1.5oz
    Compass 3oz

Don't forget to get you a set of Leki walking sticks, you are a fool to not use them, I use to carry crampons but never needed them sheep hunting.

And you MUST take a camera and a map of the area. The map will help you decide on approaches during a stalk if you have to take the unseen paths.

Take good care of your feet, every night get your feet dried out.

Good luck and be careful

no worries blackfoot, best thing you can do is take as much stuff as you want, four days into it, you'll notice stuff you've never used and at the end of the trip take eveyrthing you didn't even realize you had and toss it in the trash!! best way to learn is to do it. like i said, depending on where you are, keep or loose the crampons, i don't need them in my sheep area, some others you might need them....two weeks is a long time to live outa a backpack, you'll have more gear than most seven to ten day hunts, and it'll be alot colder so you'll need heavier sleeping bags and clothes, mittens, hats and hand warmers. so figure it'll be heavy no matter what you loose..murphy's law i guess.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink I would leave these!

1. Handgun 3 lb 2.5 oz 2.Water filter 14 oz., use Aqua tabs they work well. 3. Crampons 1 lb 7.3 oz 4. Rangefinder, 7.1 oz, just sight your rifle +3 @ 100 yards. 5.Knives 9.6 oz, one small gerber fatty 3 0z. 6. your sleeping pad for a Thermarest ridgerest 22 x 72 14 oz. 7. lens pen for a few eyeglass wipes. 8. towel and wash rag for one cotton bandana tyed to the outside of your pack, red color. 9. gps for topo map of area. Second the trek poles, don't leave home without them!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

this is going in the other direction for you, but from someone who has sheep and goat hunted, I'd be packing more binocular than a 9 oz. set of 10x25's. I'd think you'd want a quality full size bino rather than compacts.

Definately ditch the pistol/holster/pistol ammo. As far as your water bag, on "average" its only likely to be about half full at any one time, so you could probably drop a couple lbs. there for calculation purposes. I'd take iodine tablets even if you do take your purifier - if your in a hurry or in the dark or about to keel over from exhaustion they can be very handy at times. If your really concerned about weight, you can go to a "Z" pad, a 3/4 length is about 10 oz. Won't be as cushy as a thermarest, but works and would save you a pound. I'd personally be tempted to leave behind the crampons and ice axe, particularly if you haven't been trained to use them. They can get you into as much trouble as they might get you out of. I'd trade them in for the hiking poles - they look kinda girly but I'm a big believer in them. And one or both of you needs a camera (and needs to use it while your hunting) or you'll be kicking yourself a year from now.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun and good luck.

Default Thanks

This has been an eye opener for me. My partner will have a camera. I forgot about the sat phone I will have also, but he'll be packing that also. I will have maps of the area, just haven't printed them yet. I think I will take the crampons at least to base camp, don't want it to snow 6 inches and not have them. I wear contacts so that's why the hand sanitizer, but I guess the wipes would do the same thing. The ice axe is the trekking pole/ice axe combo, so I'm convered there. I'm not giving up the Thermarest. I have two cotton game bags that weigh the 1 lb 1.56 oz, thought about TAG bags, but that won't save much. I had already thought about leaving the rangefinder, I have confidence out to about 450 yards, and beyond that it doesn't matter how far they are cause I ain't shootin'. I'm still hung up on the water filter. Anybody use the Aqua Mira? What results? The other thing that nobody mentioned is the jacket. I will be wearing a Mountain Hardwear Alchemy jacket (windproof), but I also packed a Barney's Brooks range jacket. I figured it may get pretty cold, and I could use the jacket if I'm caught out on the mountain. I will be ditching some of the stuff you guys have suggested.

As I stated in my thread on weight of my pack for sheep/goat hunting 67 lbs. however my synthetic stock rifle w/ scope weighs 9 lbs. is that too heavy for a rifle? I notice all you other folks are packing 6-7 pound Rifles. Aside from that, I can get on the stairmaster w/ pack (at an incline) at a rate of 5 miles per hour no problem. I have a thin-muscular build therefore I must pack more food to burn the calories while exerting all that energy at altitude. There are some advantages you heavier guys have by burning up your stored energy. I also try to grab water when I can, I have been on some mountain tops where you cannot find water source and dehydration is not for me, so yeah water and food is a must for me, although i can grab water as I am trekking into the zone (sheep country) I still plan on taking a water filter, I have been in the military long enough and have been to some remote locations to experience that iodine tabs are not as effective as the new water filters. I'll be in the Chugach Range starting opening day so if you see me don't be a stranger we'll have coffee or tea.....K

Are you hiking in or flying in? If flying in I would make a camp where the plane drops you off and then make several days trips from their. I will be making a 12 day sheep hunt this year and will be doing this. I will set up my tent at base camp and bivy from there. I will take 5 days of food and then come back from more on the 4th or 5th day. Hopefully you will already have on sheep and will be making a meat run back to camp anyway.

I will just go down your list.

Handgun Loaded 3lb 2.5oz --- (Drop)

Rifle w/Scope 6lb 15oz

Food/Dry Bag 16lb 6oz --- (leave some at base camp. You can lighten the load if taking Mt. House by doing away with all the packaging except for one)

Sleeping Bag/Jacket 5lb 3oz

Clothes 3lb 4.5oz ---(Are these extras or what you are wearing? Leave extra’s at base camp)

Tent w/o Poles 5lb 15.5oz --- (Leave at base camp)

Sleeping Pad 1lb 10.2oz

Game Bags 1lb 1.6oz --- (There are lighter bags out there)

Rain Pant 7.3oz

Towel 2.1oz --- (Drop)

Wash Rag 0.9oz ---(Drop)

Tent Poles/Stakes 1lb 10.3oz --- (Leave at base camp)

Spotting Scope 1lb 15oz --- (if you plan on hunting with your partner the whole time and he is carrying a spotter, then use his)

Tripod 1lb 9.7oz --- (Drop)

Water Filter 14.3oz ---(Drop)

Crampons 1lb 7.3oz --- (Drop, unless you know for a fact that you will be hunting on glacier)

Headlamp 3oz

GPS 5.4oz --- (Drop)

Bug Dope 2.3oz --- (Drop)

Lighter 1.3oz

Stove Fuel/Bottle 1lb 14oz --- (Could save some weight by going to a jetboil, you wouldn’t need the cookware below)

Stove/Cookware/Lighter/Utensils 1lb 9.3oz

50ft Nylon Cord 2.9oz

Rangefinder 7.1oz

First Aid/Repair Kit 9.1oz --- (Leave at base camp, execpt for blister kit)

Water Carrying Bag 2.1oz --- (Leave at base camp)

Emergency Blanket 2oz

Waterproof Matches 0.3oz --- (Leave at base camp)

Candle 1.1oz ---- (If needed, Leave at base camp)

Tootbrush w/5ft Duct Tape 1oz

Pocket Knife 2oz

Lens Pen 0.8oz ( not sure what this is, I don't carry it so leave it)

Full 2 Liter Platypus w/Tube 5lb 1oz --- ( check out the water conditions and you might not need to carry as much on your pack)

Baby Wipes 2.4oz --- (A must!)

Waterproof Matches 0.3oz

Mini Leatherman 3.4oz --- (Drop)

Toothpaste 0.9oz

Hand Sanitizer 2.4oz --- (Drop)

Pack/Frame/Holster 8lb 6.5oz ( No holster)

10x25 Binos 8.9oz

15 Rounds Ammo/Carrier 1lb 1oz --- (Are you both shooting the same cal rifle? If not you shouldn’t need 15 rounds)

TP 10.7oz (Drop)

Rain Jacket 1lb 7.2oz

Knives 9.6oz --- (Go smaller and lighter)

Compass 3oz --- (Drop)

This will take about 27lbs off of your back.

Also the best way to lighten the load is to take is off your waistline. You still have time to drop some of that belly (if you have one) before you hunt. Look up a product called Isagenix. I started using this product on 7/4 and have lost 14 pounds and most of it off my love handles and waist. When I started I was 210lbs at 6ft.

I would add:

Baby power for your boys, I don’t leave home with out it.
    Hiking pole, I only take one.
    Camera

Default Holy cow

Dude, you pack like a hunting partner of mine. If you pack and all your gear sans your rifle and the clothes you intend to wear is more than 40 lbs you either have too much junk you don't need, have gear that is too heavy, or both.
    You can live without it. Trust me.

I don't like the partner thing...that way i have first dibs on trophies! besides i am very mobile and i like to move and don't need anyone holding me back, i move with stealth and speed and cover alot of ground, don't get me wrong i am a team player and will help anyone in distress! See ya all out there!!!!!.................K

Default Clearify

OK, to clearify. I am walking in and won't be coming back for two weeks. This is what I am taking in to base camp, not what I will be carrying everyday or even for 3-4 days away from base camp. 40 lbs wouldn't hardly cover shelter and food, I don't see how it's possible. My partner will not be hunting, it is a draw only area and I drew a tag. Clothes include 4 pair extra socks, two pair underwear, gloves, one pair poly long underwear pants only. Everything else I will be wearing. First Aid/Repair kit is basically blister care, extra pack pins, a couple bandaids, and a few stove spare parts. Lost 85 lbs. since last spring, so lightening up around the waist is getting harder to do.

Dude you lost 85 pounds? Not sure what you weighed before but losing too much weight could make you weak real quick, and you have a sherpa, that is nice, but that sherpa needs to eat and be in comfort too! so I'm sure he'll be packing his gear let alone some of yours. Hmmmm, a Llama would be real nice: sure footed, need not much water, can carry good amount of weight, and a good deterrant from griz, iknow some people have them, seen'em in Fairbanks....K

Default Pack Weight

Switch out your heavy cotton game bags for kifaru game bags, only 1 0z each. I'm noticing a general trend for the guys that pack too much - they plan on too many contingencies. Ie, what if it snows, what if I get stuck somewhere and it's cold. When I go sheep hunting I'm just assuming I'll be cold, hungry and uncomfortable the majority of the time. Part of sheep hunting is suffering. Stuff like taking two jackets just in case it gets cold isn't the right mentality for cutting your pack weight. Take enough stuff to keep yourself alive, but you don't want to plan on being warm and comfy in every situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast