Thread: Rabbit / Ptarmigan hunting and camping

Default Rabbit / Ptarmigan hunting and camping

Hi everyone, any ideas of any places to take my 10yo daughter out tent camping and possibly some hunting for rabbits or Ptarmigan within driving distance of Anchorage this weekend? We tried rabbit hunting about a month ago near Butte, but no luck and she is quite determined. Unfortunately no access to ATV or snowmachine.. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Drive the highway past Sheep Mountain to Mendeltna, and hunt anywhere areound there on foot.

Thanks for the advice Griz!

I'll second what Grizzly said, but only add that you can also find small pockets of them on the palmer hay flats, but I would recommend that you stop rabbit hunting after this weekend or at least very soon because they will start breeding very soon and I'm pretty sure the last thing your daughter wants to see is a few baby leveretts come out of the womb when you are cleaning the entrails. I've had it happen a couple times when hunting in April and so I stopped hunting them after March.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I'll second what Grizzly said, but only add that you can also find small pockets of them on the palmer hay flats, but I would recommend that you stop rabbit hunting after this weekend or at least very soon because they will start breeding very soon and I'm pretty sure the last thing your daughter wants to see is a few baby leveretts come out of the womb when you are cleaning the entrails. I've had it happen a couple times when hunting in April and so I stopped hunting them after March.
    What he said, and watch out for tularemia as it is contagious. If you hunt them late, clean them with gloves.

Well, went as far as Nechina, camped for the night which was quite chilly (17F) and stumbled on a few Ptarmigan. Daughter had a great time and good memories. Thanks for the advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations to the young huntress.
    Part One https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cfnrock.shtml
    There is also a Part Two

Way to go there dad!