Thread: Any NMEA 2000 Experts On Here?

Default Any NMEA 2000 Experts On Here?

Installed a new Suzuki 250 and all new Garmin electronics. The old backbone I had was a Lowrance blue. I now have all my Garmin on a separate Garmin network, but want to eliminate my old Lowrance network and combine the two. I need someone to take a look at what I have going on so I can order the right parts. If you know what you are doing, I will pay you for your time. Shoot me a message. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not quite understanding the question. "but want to eliminate my old Lowrance network and combine the two." Not quite making sense to me. Eliminate or combine?

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Sorry. Yep, a bit confusing. I think the simplest thing to do is eliminate the Lowrance network and convert my Suzuki gauge connector so that it will connect to the Garmin network. I also probably need a new engine interface cable so it can connect to the Garmin network. The end state I am shooting for is a single Garmin network with motor data. Probably just confused the issue even further...
    my next move is rip everything out except the new Garmin stuff and start from scratch.

I think all nmea 2000 plugs are the same. Just unplug it from the lowrance and plug it into the garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    I think all nmea 2000 plugs are the same. Just unplug it from the lowrance and plug it into the garmin.
    The old blue Lowrance connectors have a different pin pattern. Wish it was that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by woolydriver2 View Post
    Sorry. Yep, a bit confusing. I think the simplest thing to do is eliminate the Lowrance network and convert my Suzuki gauge connector so that it will connect to the Garmin network. I also probably need a new engine interface cable so it can connect to the Garmin network. The end state I am shooting for is a single Garmin network with motor data. Probably just confused the issue even further...
    my next move is rip everything out except the new Garmin stuff and start from scratch.

You will need a Suzuki Interface cable to connect your OB to the nmea 2k network & from personal experience, as strange as it sounds you will need to have that freakin interface cable programmed to your OB's serial # or it will not work worth doo doo. If you have Suzuki smis gauges hooked up to the OB, you will need to build your own plug to connect the adapter to the mechanics test port so that you can run the gauges & have your engine info come up on the Garmin plotter via the nmea 2k network. Take a look at the Hull Truth website for info on how to make the Suzuki connection as they have a section dedicated to it. Browns Point Suzuki back east is an excellent place to get the adapter & have it programmed before it is sent to you.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by woolydriver2 View Post
    The old blue Lowrance connectors have a different pin pattern. Wish it was that easy.

Garmin is a royal PITA as everything they use for nmea 2k is proprietary to their equipment & won't play with others. Thats how they get rich I guess...
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    You will need a Suzuki Interface cable to connect your OB to the nmea 2k network & from personal experience, as strange as it sounds you will need to have that freakin interface cable programmed to your OB's serial # or it will not work worth doo doo. If you have Suzuki smis gauges hooked up to the OB, you will need to build your own plug to connect the adapter to the mechanics test port so that you can run the gauges & have your engine info come up on the Garmin plotter via the nmea 2k network. Take a look at the Hull Truth website for info on how to make the Suzuki connection as they have a section dedicated to it. Browns Point Suzuki back east is an excellent place to get the adapter & have it programmed before it is sent to you.
    I will give Browns Point a call tomorrow. Such a headache. Thanks for the input.

Are you running a Wooldridge? If so call down to the shop and ask for Statton. He should be able to help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

NMEA2k is NMEA2k, it's not Garmin proprietary. The only issue you'll run into is with your Suzuki. I'm not familiar with them--I just know that Honda just needs an engine interface cable, Yamaha requires Command Link Plus and a Gateway Kit (plus a NMEA2k starter kit), Evinrude depends on if you're running G1 or G2. You need someone who works with Suzuki outboards to determine exactly what you need to connect it to NMEA2k. I have a Honda with Garmin electronics, and super easy to set up--throws the engine data right to the Garmin, and off you go.

Buy one of these... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrance-NA...-/361709704294

Plug and play. Remember, backbones and drops are two different things.

PS - The NMEA 2000 protocol has defined PGN's, so that it works across vendors. To get advanced features through this connection, vendors use proprietary messages that only work with their gear. That is why it "appears" that Garmin does their own thing, but it's really only for programming and some features that are not defined in the protocol.
    PolarMarine.net

Thanks for the input... determined a couple things... wrong engine interface cable installed, SDS to SMIS adapter was installed backwards, and LMF 200 gauge required firmware update. Since I have to run a new interface, I am just going to a single compatible and matching network backbone with a Suzuki c10 gauge. I am done messing with this old Lowrance crap. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    Sadly that is not the case
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.