Thread: Homer to Seward run

Default Homer to Seward run

I'm planning on keeping the boat in Seward this summer. Thinking of moving perhaps late April. I can tow her easily enough, but have wanted to see that country from the comforts of a boat for a long time. Obviously some potential big water out there, and a trip is highly weather dependent. Looking for some insight from those who have made the run. I have been as far as Gore Pt. from the Homer side, and never gone past Granite Cape from the Seward side. Have always heard great fish reports from those that venture to Nuka.

Places to check out on the way, both sightseeing and drop a line or two?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Have heard Beauty Bay and Suprise Bay are cool spots to check out with old mining history. Met kayakers camping on the west beach at Gore Point when I did the run to there from Homer last summer, they were kayaking from Seward to Homer. I would try to take enough fuel to let you explore a little on the way instead of just enough to make the run, sure looks like some cool spots out there, on the list of trips to do.

Don't forget the black bear hunting can be phenominal down that way!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If you've made it to Gore Point from Homer you've been in some excellent fishing there already. Nuka has nothing more to offer than the bay on the Homer side of Gore. On the other side...Granite to the pass...there are plenty of places to fish and overnight..

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Gulf of Alaska Coastal Cruising Routes from the Alaska Sea Grant marine advisory program is
    a little known cruising guide for your route. Hope this proves useful to you.

http://goa-travel.seagrant.uaf.edu/

Finally got the right weather window and made the run this past weekend. Left Homer at 8am Saturday and rolled into Seward 7pm. Had hoped to overnight, but my youngest got green gills, and wanted to be home. Did manage to fish a few spots and got the biggest yelloweye and quillbacks I have seen in 30+ years on the salt. Wish it was July 1, as we released some monster lings. Awesome scenery, this has been a bucket list trip and it didnt disapoint. Burned a total of 123 gallons of petro. Roughest water was the last 2 miles of the trip into Seward Harbor. Alaska Addiction will spend the rest of the summer in Seward
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I was out yesterday and saw your boat on B float down from me. That Bayweld is a nice looking boat! And that's a trip I'd love to do too but haven't gotten much further west than Granite Island. Hope you have a great summer here!

I have been wanting to do that run for some time now. However I would like to take 3-4 days and explore the country. Let me know if anyone wants to consider making the run with a few boats... safety in numbers. On a different note, I seen you over on B float, I am on C float, welcome to the neighborhood.