Thread: Pike Help

Default Pike Help

I am looking for a new (to me) Pike fishery in the interior. I have spent most of my time in Minto for Pike, but a recent bad encounter has my searching for new water. I don’t think I have the range to try the Tanana route into Minto and have enough gas to fish. I tried the Chatanika, but they were small and the water is really skinny and tight. I was reading in “Alaska Fishing” about the Zitziana, Chitanana, Birch, and Ray Rivers. Has anyone fished these and can give a report on the route, the fish and the water? I have heard a lot about George Lake, but frankly I am spoiled by Minto and the stories of George Lake don’t match what I have seen in the Flats. I look forward to any other Pike minded fisherman to help out another with the pike fever.

The problem with lake George is that you may knock a hole in your boat getting there. I have seen me do it. There has been reports of people messing with your truck if you park in Minto village. You can go down Murphy dome road to get there it is a lot shorter but the road sucks. The second corner going down the river is the only problem stay to the left, it will look like you should be on the right side. There is also the dall river, and before you get to the dall river there is the little dall it is not bad and there is some other types of fish that you can catch their. I have several other better locations but I can not tell were.

Default Pike Help

I drove into Minto 2 weeks back and had no problems, this was my first time there. We had no problems. One of the locals even chatted with us when we were loading up and gave us some pointers for our next trip. I was skeptical going in because we have heard all of the horror stories of vehicles getting trashed. Does this happen often and was I just lucky? Should I avoid this launch in the future? I really hate driving down the Dome road, it tears up my truck & trailer.

i have been to minto myself about 5 time and have never had a problem but i always stop and talk and act nice. But i know of three people that have had their rigs dammaged.

Default Minto

I have been many times and have been an advocate on how great everyone has always been to us, but then we were the ones getting the raw deal. We always are polite, in fact this trip we picked up trash at the boat launch. Oh well it happens, anyway I will file Dall river away. Thanks for the info.

I usually make at least one trip to the Dall River each summer. It's not what it used to be, but you can usually catch a half dozen 30"+ pike. I really enjoy fishing the Dall and usually don't see anyone else there when I go during the week.

The road to the Yukon bridge is one of the worst I have every seen and that is the main reason that I only make one trip per year. Last month they were working on the road and the road bed was basically 4" tailings and we were crawling along in 4WD at about 5 MPH for 5 miles or so.