Thread: boat repairs

Default boat repairs

I have a 12 ft row boat that I have been pushing around with a 3.5 hp motor. Unfortunatly one of the seams leaks. It is a rivited aluminum boat. Is there a way to stop the leak without taking the seam apart? I don't have the equipment to re rivit it and the boat is quite old, but other then the seam leak it is in good shape.

Default Ice & Water Shield

Call any roofer. They should have a scrap of it somewhere. Its a "peel & stick" product used on roofs. This will be temporary, but should get you through a boating season. Use it on the bottom, not the inside of the hull.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Thanks, I know exactly what your talking about, but never would have thought to use it.

You don't have a hammer or two hanging around? To reset the rivet or replace them is way too easy. Rivets are cheap and it is a good skill to have PM me I would be willing to teach you.

Default seam or rivet

Riveted boats tend to leak, and like our friend earlier said are easy to reset and easy to replace, all without special tools. I would try to reset the rivets first. If in doubt about the repair, just fill the boat with water. Easy to find the leakers at that point. I would attempt the repair before applying any type of patch material.
    Be forewarned that most rivets are a different material than the hull. If anybody tries to weld one, more often than not they blow holes in the boat hull.
    If the hull is cracked it might be welded, with or without a patch. Riveted patches work pretty well also.