Thread: Two man and a moose raft

Default Two man and a moose raft

Greetings O'great forum. We are looking for some education on a raft before calling the raft people. Our requirements are: capacity for 2 old farts (one small guy and one larger), gear for 12 days, one moose (we also plan on stowing a smaller raft in the improbable event that we harvested two moose). We want to try a different class l or ll river each year (suggestions are welcome) but are looking at the Bravo-India-Romeo-Charlie-Hotel creek for this fall because it is a road to road float. We would like the ability to roll it up in case we need to do a fly-in in the future if at all possible. We know we need a rowing setup. It has been suggested that we rent first and we havenít decided yet but we are leaning toward buying because of the rental cost (although very fair) for a long trip might be 1/3 the cost of buying. 1) What would you recommend for a primary raft. 2) Advice on the smaller carry-on raft for one guy, one moose if needed. (Thanks Mike for your advice on the solo, one moose rig but we are now wanting to start out in the same raft if possible).

Have you looked at the PV Levitator? I've heard a lot of good things about them. Sounds like it would fit your parameters. https://pristineventures.com/product...-oars-package/

For a carry on raft I would do the math and figure how much extra load carrying capacity you need if the Levitator is fully loaded with one guy and max Moose meat. Probably a Legend but might get by with a Cork if you don't pack heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by south coast stu View Post
    Have you looked at the PV Levitator? I've heard a lot of good things about them. Sounds like it would fit your parameters. https://pristineventures.com/product...-oars-package/

For a carry on raft I would do the math and figure how much extra load carrying capacity you need if the Levitator is fully loaded with one guy and max Moose meat. Probably a Legend but might get by with a Cork if you don't pack heavy.
    Thanks Stu, I will check that out.

I just realized that I posted in the wrong forum. I am reposting on the float hunting forum. I am so sorry.
    -Dan

Lots of good options out there.
    I have a Levitator and love it. It will easily handle two guys, heaps of gear, and 2 Moose, and still draw minimal water. Thats a factor to consider with a smaller raft. It might not sink with all that weight, but it will be riding deep. The Levitator didn't even notice 2 guys, gear and a Moose, easily floating through 3-4". Its a narrow raft as well, so navigating smaller creeks isn't a chore. It obviously doesn't pack down as small as PVs other rafts like the Legend or Pioneer Extreme, so if space challenged with respect to aircraft, maybe one or two of those other rafts might work better. The Lev fits into the back of a C-180 with heaps and heaps of room to spare.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Wow, I didn't realize the Levitator could handle two guys and two Moose!

Yukoner - How are the oar saddles vs. a regular frame? Seems like a big plus for air transport over a regular frame.

Another really nice feature of the Levitator is that it can be converted from self bailing to non-self bailing. Best of both worlds. I think most of the PV rafts come with this set-up (?).

Larry has some images from a trip he did: 3 guys, 3 moose in the Lev. It was loaded right up, but lack of floor space was the issue, not capacity.
    2 guys/2 Moose and it wouldn't even blink, but it would drag in 4" of water I suspect.
    The saddles work. Period. No issues at all, just crank the straps securing them tight. I leave the plugs in the floor along with the inflatable floor. If it rains, we lift one end and remove a couple plugs and drain it. The only negative was that mine is the original PVC model PV did, and the grab loops are fabric rather than the molded ones on the current Levs. The new ones he uses are much better. Other than that, she's golden.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Larry has some images from a trip he did: 3 guys, 3 moose in the Lev. It was loaded right up, but lack of floor space was the issue, not capacity.
    2 guys/2 Moose and it wouldn't even blink, but it would drag in 4" of water I suspect.
    The saddles work. Period. No issues at all, just crank the straps securing them tight. I leave the plugs in the floor along with the inflatable floor. If it rains, we lift one end and remove a couple plugs and drain it. The only negative was that mine is the original PVC model PV did, and the grab loops are fabric rather than the molded ones on the current Levs. The new ones he uses are much better. Other than that, she's golden.
    Very good info. Thanks Yukoner.