Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 88

Thread: .375 H&H questions

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    fairbanks, ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    My one and only experience with a 375 H&H drove me away from the round for good. There were a lot of factors. As mentioned bench shooting it is no good. The only thing worse is prone shooting one multiple times. For my first caribou we borrowed a rifle, a 375. Needless to say it wasn't sighted in properly as we were told (we failed to verify its zero and that was our fault) and that led to several shots at a North Slope caribou from the prone position. I couldn't walk straight for several days after, it jacked my back up so bad.. Just things to consider. I won't spend a dime on one. If you always have something to rest the rifle on go for it but if you ever plan on hunting where you may have to lay down to shoot that would not make my list of rifles to take.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    If you always have something to rest the rifle on go for it but if you ever plan on hunting where you may have to lay down to shoot that would not make my list of rifles to take.
    Fair point. For those circumstances I might bring along shooting sticks, but agree that prone would be a butt kicker. Or back kicker. I definitely plan to practice various shooting positions. And for a straight up caribou hunt I might just take my 300 mag instead.

  3. #23
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,330

    Default

    I don't own one, but when I was in Africa seven of the professional hunter carried .375's. One carried a .416. Pretty popular over there.

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    Question: when using a shoulder pad, bag of shot, life jacket, etc. at the range, how do you all manage the issue of LOP and eye relief? In the past when I've tried extra padding of various types, I wind up struggling a bit with the actual shooting. I'm on the shorter side, which probably doesn't help with compensating around that particular issue...
    The shoulder pad that I wear at the range is not that thick. Therefore, LOP is not really affected. Also, having a scope with good eye-relief helps to reduce any required neck-strain forward to acquire a full field of view.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    My one and only experience with a 375 H&H drove me away from the round for good. There were a lot of factors. As mentioned bench shooting it is no good. The only thing worse is prone shooting one multiple times. For my first caribou we borrowed a rifle, a 375. Needless to say it wasn't sighted in properly as we were told (we failed to verify its zero and that was our fault) and that led to several shots at a North Slope caribou from the prone position. I couldn't walk straight for several days after, it jacked my back up so bad.. Just things to consider. I won't spend a dime on one. If you always have something to rest the rifle on go for it but if you ever plan on hunting where you may have to lay down to shoot that would not make my list of rifles to take.
    For open country hunting, you should have a bipod that makes it possible to shoot from the sitting position. Shooting sticks make it possible to shoot from the standing position. Get prone and your likely to have interference from grass and brush. Maybe the gun was sighted o.k. after all.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I don't own one, but when I was in Africa seven of the professional hunter carried .375's. One carried a .416. Pretty popular over there.
    I remember reading in a book (many years ago) about bear guides on Kodiak where it mentioned the .375 as the back up gun of choice for most guides. That was enough for me to want one.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  7. #27
    Member hogfamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    I shot the Ruger # 1 I mentioned earlier in standing, sitting, and prone. Did not find the recoil all that bad in any of the positions. Slightly less in standing and sitting. Maybe the manga-porting did the trick?
    I did not find the report all that much louder either.
    I know that the current owner had the 'porting done locally so maybe it is not the standard 'porting?
    “Move that fat ass Henry!”
    “Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

  8. #28

    Default

    Follow up question re: optics...

    Decided I want a scope for it that will have bit more on the high end magnification, looking at 9x and 10x upper end possibilities...

    And at the same time I like the idea of minimal magnification at the low end. But the 1.5-5, 1.5-6, etc., don't give me enough at the upper end. And the scopes that have a 2-12x-ish range are outside my budget.

    3 options, which would you choose (all comparably priced):

    a) 3-9x36, 1 inch tube
    b) 3.3-10x42, 1 inch tube
    c) 2.2-9x42, 30mm tube

    The catch is that c is a used optic, from an online vendor. Options a and b are brand new in the box. All are excellent glass.

    Bear in mind this is for a 21.5" barrel .375 H&H, primary use will be for moose and for deer in bear country, so looking at realistic range from 20-300 yards, but not ruling out the occasional possibility of a longer shot.

    Also bear in mind that this rifle has open sights and any scope will likely be mounted with QR rings, so in the event of a need to go into brush after a wounded animal close range shots shouldn’t be a problem regardless of scope magnification.

    What say you?

  9. #29

    Default

    Take one of your existing rifles out, set the scope at 5x or 6x and look at something 300 yards away. Can't imagine why that isn't enough, but it's fer sure your gun.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Take one of your existing rifles out, set the scope at 5x or 6x and look at something 300 yards away. Can't imagine why that isn't enough, but it's fer sure your gun.
    10 years ago, sure... maybe even 5... but eyes age.

  11. #31
    Member The German's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Ok, well FWIW,,,,, I think you are "Over" thinking this,,,, ie..... either one of the Scopes Below, will do everything that Cal. of Rifle, and "You" will ever need to do,,,, Period.!!!
    But there is One thing that you have not mentioned, that I've seen anyway,,,, and that is Iron-Sights as a Back-up, there are many Types/Choices out there,,,, and depending on which Gun Manufacture you choose, that maybe already be taken care of,,,, but in my case, I cut the Bbl. to 22", and added the Ruger Barrel-Band Type Front Sight, Mag-na-Ported 2-Ports thru that front assy., all to go with the WARNE bases, and Quick-Release Rings, the Ghost-Ring Rear Sight Fixture, is also a Quick Release Style that fits the WARNE Bases as well.
    This all works VERY well,,,, especially when I have my Back-Pack on, the Scope is in the Pack, but I'm Ready with Iron-Sights, if need be.
    TG

    Attachment 97445Attachment 97446 I've been Packing a .375 since about 1995 +/-, with that 1.5-5x20 Leo.
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Ok, well FWIW,,,,, I think you are "Over" thinking this,,,, ie..... either one of the Scopes Below, will do everything that Cal. of Rifle, and "You" will ever need to do,,,, Period.!!!
    But there is One thing that you have not mentioned, that I've seen anyway,,,, and that is Iron-Sights as a Back-up, there are many Types/Choices out there,,,, and depending on which Gun Manufacture you choose, that maybe already be taken care of,,,, but in my case, I cut the Bbl. to 22", and added the Ruger Barrel-Band Type Front Sight, Mag-na-Ported 2-Ports thru that front assy., all to go with the WARNE bases, and Quick-Release Rings, the Ghost-Ring Rear Sight Fixture, is also a Quick Release Style that fits the WARNE Bases as well.
    This all works VERY well,,,, especially when I have my Back-Pack on, the Scope is in the Pack, but I'm Ready with Iron-Sights, if need be.
    TG
    Noted, and overthinking is a specialty of mine. Especially when I should be hiking up some hills to get my lazy ass in shape for summer and fall, rather than sitting around googling crap.

    My comment that the rifle has iron sights might have gotten buried in other info in the comments above.

  13. #33

    Default

    Belay previous comments, sometimes a great deal makes the decision for you. I came across a Swarovski Habicht 1.5-6x42, on line, in excellent shape for under $500, and couldn't resist. So that's what will go on the .375. I'm sure it will work well this season, and if it's not exactly what I need I can always put it on another rifle or sell it for at least what I paid for it. Done deal.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    sometimes a great deal makes the decision for you.
    Completely agree. I go to my local Gun Exchange weekly, one day walked out with a Browning "A" bolt, Stainless, synthetic, in .30-06 with a [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)] Leupold [/COLOR]VX-Freedom 3-9x40 CDS... It was in barely used condition, as most things here in "gun unfriendly Connecticut" are. it had been there for a day, was on consignment. I made an offer and walked out of there for under $500.00, taxes and fees included. That deal spoke to me, for sure. American Leupold, no-question forever warranty, a wonderful "A" bolt. Couldn't pass it up.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    77

    Default

    I have a Interarms Mark x 375 HH with a Mannlicher stock, and I absolutely love it!! No recoil what soever ! Now its probably because its heavier than a boat anchor , but it shoots just fine any day of the week!

  16. #36
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,330

    Default

    I think with the trajectory of the .375 why not a 3x10 Leupold with a BC reticle. Seems perfect.

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I think with the trajectory of the .375 why not a 3x10 Leupold with a BC reticle. Seems perfect.
    I may well go that route down the line, definitely makes sense. I just put a Swarovski z3 3-10x42 on another rifle and I am loving it so far, so down the line when I can swing the cash I may go with the same optic on the 375 — consistency across various rifles is always a good thing… But in the meantime I got such a great deal on this 1.5-6x42 I couldn’t pass it up; It may only live on the 375 for a season or two before it goes on to another build, will have to do some field testing to see.

  18. #38
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Just wanted to add that Ive got a 375 H&H in R700. I put a Bell and Carlson stock on it and the recoil is tolerable for a rifle Im not going to shoot box after box of rounds at the bench with.

    I went the quick release rings route with mine. I put a Leupold UL 3x9-33, but the rifle sports open sights and that is how I hunt it 95% of the time. It's kind of become my rainy day hunting rifle. Dont have to worry about a scope fogging or being wet....just point and shoot.

    For shooting off the bench, I will wad up a jacket, wear a thin lifejacket, or piece of foam and put it on my shoulder. I dont find that another 1" LOP really throws me off too much if I"m on a good rest with plenty of time to make a shot.

    Just saw that you picked up a Swarovski for it, that looks like a pretty good match. No high magnification really required in a rifle of that type, IMO.

    Jeez, upon reading The German's post above, it looks like he and I are on the same page....should have just quoted him and said "ditto"

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Just wanted to add that Ive got a 375 H&H in R700. I put a Bell and Carlson stock on it and the recoil is tolerable for a rifle Im not going to shoot box after box of rounds at the bench with.

    I went the quick release rings route with mine. I put a Leupold UL 3x9-33, but the rifle sports open sights and that is how I hunt it 95% of the time. It's kind of become my rainy day hunting rifle. Dont have to worry about a scope fogging or being wet....just point and shoot.

    For shooting off the bench, I will wad up a jacket, wear a thin lifejacket, or piece of foam and put it on my shoulder. I dont find that another 1" LOP really throws me off too much if I"m on a good rest with plenty of time to make a shot.

    Just saw that you picked up a Swarovski for it, that looks like a pretty good match. No high magnification really required in a rifle of that type, IMO.

    Jeez, upon reading The German's post above, it looks like he and I are on the same page....should have just quoted him and said "ditto"

    Definitely will not be shooting box after box at the range! But I do plan / need to shot it enough that I feel comfortable with it, otherwise I just won’t hunt with it—too much chance of missing an easy shot, or worse, wounding an animal, if I’m not confident in my own ability with it. At that point I’ll just take something else into the field.

    So I definitely apppreciate the suggestions and guidance here. Dry firing, padding, etc. Any others, keep em comin.

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Take one of your existing rifles out, set the scope at 5x or 6x and look at something 300 yards away. Can't imagine why that isn't enough, but it's fer sure your gun.
    My thinking exactly. I have seen a whole lot of coyotes knocked off their feet at close to the quarter mile mark with a straight 6 power scope. My two main coyote guns both wear straight 6X scopes. I like the field of view that comes with lower magnification.

    I think the 1.5x6x42 will be perfect!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •