Thread: why not rockhopper?

Default why not rockhopper?

I read negative comments on rockhopper. What are every ones opinions on them in rocky stream? I see a unit made in Canada that incircles the prop and the flat lower plate type like I guess the Cabela's model. I know I broke several cavitation lower unit plates on stumps on my 40 hp Honda river boat when I drilled and put on a dolfin plate down south, seemed to be too much torque to plate from plastic fin. Thanks for your input.

Default rockhopper?

As I've said in several canoeing threads, my experience with a Rockhopper has been very positive. My Rockhopper is bolted to the underside of the anti-cavitation plate on my 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha, and a Dolefin is bolted to the topside. I have had no breakage problems. Is your motor, in use, in a locked down position, or is it free to tilt and return when you hit something? I wonder if the higher torque of a 4 stroke 40hp Honda may be part of the problem? I think I would call the guy who makes them. His phone numbers are listed on his website....

rockhoppermotorguard.com

I love mine, but a 15 horse on a canoe is a light duty application, compared to a 40hp Honda.

Default Rock Hopper

the reason you break the plate with dole fins is that they stick out from the plate 5 to 10 inchs an if they hit a stump or rock it puts a lot of torque on that pate an with a 40 HP you can be going at a good clip ,where with a canoe an on a river that is moving you won't be going any thing like that 10 to 14 MPH max on good flat water, you will be reading the river all the time an when you are around logs an rocks you will be going slower an the rock hopper protects the lower gear box, the prop still takes a beating but still is ticking SID

Default Rockhopper?

Prior to putting on the Rockhopper, my prop on the then new motor took a beating. Left the beatup prop on when I installed the RH. In the last 3 seasons, that old prop is still in the same condition as it was when I first installed the RH....there has been no further prop dinging....RH, in the rivers I've been running, has protected the prop. I have a new prop, which I carry as a spare, that I'm going to install, and then carry the old one as the spare. That's my experience. The "wing" on the bottom of the guard is wider than the prop and does offer protection.

Default rock hopper

could you post a photo of a RH or a web site as I think I have it mixed up with a different unit SID

Default Rockhopper....

Sid -

rockhoppermotorguard.com

Default Rock Hopper

Thanks For The Web Site SID