Thread: 2019 pots reduced to 3

Default 2019 pots reduced to 3

Yuk..

PWS Subsistence Shrimp Pot Fishery Pots Reduced to Three
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...1018217910.pdf

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That is some serious bull shyte. I was super happy happy to see permits are available now... until I read this garbage. Id rather see a shorter season than lower pot limits any further.

Well, Nuts
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Iíve often wondered why the reporting is in gallons. Sometimes I get quarts not gallons. I feel that I have to report something but rounding up is a huge difference. Reporting 0 gallons seems wrong especially when a string comes up with little to nothing when prospecting.

I try to follow as close as I can. The law says, "Whole Gallons'. So if I don't get a gallon, I don't report it. If I get 1 1/2, then the whole gallon total is 1. Even then, is some areas the shrimp are larger. 30 might be a gallon in one area and other areas it might take 50 to make a gallon. Obviously the methodology in reporting is an exact science.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I know it says whole gallon but i record them as accurately as possible. Iíll give a .5 when Iím in between gallons to avoid the problem above.

The EO is pretty vague for the commercial guys limits, did they get reduced too? Sure hope we are sharing the burden and not putting it all on the subsistence guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Sure hope we are sharing the burden and not putting it all on the subsistence guys.
    It is not only Subsistence but Sport Fish too.

If I only pull up 10 shrimp, I'll record it as 0.1 gallons or something to that effect. I try to be as accurate as possible, and a half gallon is certainly not 0. That's been my approach, and I've never heard back from F&G that my numbers don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If I only pull up 10 shrimp, I'll record it as 0.1 gallons or something to that effect. I try to be as accurate as possible, and a half gallon is certainly not 0. That's been my approach, and I've never heard back from F&G that my numbers don't work.
    Just nit picking,
    1/2 is not a whole gallon.
    .1 is not a whole gallon either. I would not record that. Just peel and eat right there. I really don't think accuracy is going to be great anyways. How many people have their 5-gallon bucks labeled with lines, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and can guess by looking in to a .1 degree of accuracy or 1/2 gallon? I would think that F&G has a fudge factor built into the reporting somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post

The EO is pretty vague for the commercial guys limits, did they get reduced too? Sure hope we are sharing the burden and not putting it all on the subsistence guys.
    The commercial pot limit will be determined based on the # of boats that register coupled with the area they're in this year and anticipated harvest.

When comparing the two, it's worth noting that the overall sport harvest guideline level was increased this year, not decreased. The pot limit reduction is due to the fact that the sport harvest exceeded the guideline harvest limit by ~20,000 pounds last year along with the trend that participation/effort keeps increasing. That sort of overage hasn't happened in the commercial fishery due to strict in-season harvest reporting that leads the fishery to be shut down once the fishery limit is reached. So basically, the total # of pounds that are allocated to both fisheries was very slightly increased - the pot limit for the commercial fishery will probably go down if more boats register and it might remain unchanged if the same # or less register - and the season will be closed by EO when the GHL is reached. By extension, if fewer sport fishermen participate this year or the GHL is not reached, there may be an increase in the pot limit in future years.

Thanks for the explanation Brian 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The commercial pot limit will be determined based on the # of boats that register coupled with the area they're in this year and anticipated harvest.

When comparing the two, it's worth noting that the overall sport harvest guideline level was increased this year, not decreased. The pot limit reduction is due to the fact that the sport harvest exceeded the guideline harvest limit by ~20,000 pounds last year along with the trend that participation/effort keeps increasing. That sort of overage hasn't happened in the commercial fishery due to strict in-season harvest reporting that leads the fishery to be shut down once the fishery limit is reached. So basically, the total # of pounds that are allocated to both fisheries was very slightly increased - the pot limit for the commercial fishery will probably go down if more boats register and it might remain unchanged if the same # or less register - and the season will be closed by EO when the GHL is reached. By extension, if fewer sport fishermen participate this year or the GHL is not reached, there may be an increase in the pot limit in future years.
    Last season, the GHL for the noncommercial shrimp fishery was100,800 lb;this was exceeded by more than 28,000 lb with a pot limit of 4. Thats right from the F&G announcement. Maybe the rec quota should be reduced by that amount for the coming season ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692