Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: 3 shrimp pots

  1. #61
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otnotdoit View Post
    There should be a regulation that if you commercial shrimp you can't sport shrimp.
    There is such a regulation during the season. A commercial fisherman can cancel their registration for the fishery and thereafter sport shrimp, but they can't do both at the same time.

  2. #62
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. I'll never understand the arrogant and myopic view of one class of fisherman thinking the resource is theirs, and theirs alone.
    A guy that understands whats going on here!

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  3. #63
    Member KantishnaCabin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Well, I had a wonderful day out shrimping with my wife. We went to Whittier on Sunday and checked into the Inn at Whittier. Lovely dinner and beer with the wife and a very comfortable room overlooking the harbor. Monday was about as perfect as it could be weather wise. Thoroughly satisfied here, and the wife is happy the freezer is filling back up with her favorite seafood.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. I'll never understand the arrogant and myopic view of one class of fisherman thinking the resource is theirs, and theirs alone.
    I also agree with this. Itís not like itís so restrictive that you canít get all the shrimp you want if you really wanted to. The season is over 150 days long, and if you canít get all the shrimp you want during that time, you either donít want them that badly and/or need to get better at it-neither of which necessitates excluding someone from a fishery.
    I am all for putting resident opportunity over financial/commercial interests, but just donít see it in this case. I know some are going to say that I only get to go a couple times a year, but that is your problem, not everyone elseís. Other users who dedicate the time/effort to harvesting the resource shouldnít be restricted/cut off because you donít get to go as much as you would like. Itís like everything in life, if it is really so important to you to fill your freezer with shrimp, then you need to make that a priority in your life and schedule around it.

  5. #65
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinBow View Post
    I also agree with this. Itís not like itís so restrictive that you canít get all the shrimp you want if you really wanted to. The season is over 150 days long, and if you canít get all the shrimp you want during that time, you either donít want them that badly and/or need to get better at it-neither of which necessitates excluding someone from a fishery.
    I am all for putting resident opportunity over financial/commercial interests, but just donít see it in this case. I know some are going to say that I only get to go a couple times a year, but that is your problem, not everyone elseís. Other users who dedicate the time/effort to harvesting the resource shouldnít be restricted/cut off because you donít get to go as much as you would like. Itís like everything in life, if it is really so important to you to fill your freezer with shrimp, then you need to make that a priority in your life and schedule around it.
    Wonder if your thoughts will be the same once the limit is down to one pot and a 50 per season limit because F&G realizes too late that they have mismanaged yet another fishery.

  6. #66

    Default

    Yeah, it would feel differntly since that is completely different than now where a person can get as much as they could possibly need if they really wanted to. The problem is not F&G for two reasons:1) itís the hordes of people fishing on a limited resource. I hate to break it to everyone, but any of us who drops a pot is part of the problem and why we are having more and more restrictions. 2) F&G determines the allowable harvest and the BOF determines the allocation split.
    According to F&G the resource is actually in a little better shape than last year, itís just too much effort being put forth which is leading to these restrictions. In reality F&G doesnít really manage a fishery, they manage the people who are participating. Itís funny to me that some on here are upset about the restrictions (basically F&Gís only option for managing the resource), but complain that F&G is managing the fishery too loosely and it is going to crash and burn.
    I have only been shrimping for a handful of years so no expert, but talking with those I know who have done this for a long time, they still catch about the same numbers per pot which to me indicates it is a stable resource. If it does get to the point where we are severely limited, then I think that the commercial/financial interests should take a back seat to residents sport/subsistence fishermen. However, I would still go out and fish just one pot if thatís what it meant to protect he resource as I really enjoy my time on the water and the excitement of seeing what might be in the pots.

  7. #67
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    For all the talk of the fishery collapsing, it might help to look at the data. I totally understand that there are concerns about fishing pressure and managers should always remain vigilant, but the data suggests that although there are yearly fluctuations in the shrimp biomass, overall the population trends have been stable or somewhat positive.

    I didn't find data from the 2018 pot survey, but this data includes years up to 2017.









    Source: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../890169415.pdf

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For all the talk of the fishery collapsing, it might help to look at the data. I totally understand that there are concerns about fishing pressure and managers should always remain vigilant, but the data suggests that although there are yearly fluctuations in the shrimp biomass, overall the population trends have been stable or somewhat positive.

    I didn't find data from the 2018 pot survey, but this data includes years up to 2017.

    Source: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../890169415.pdf
    It would be nice to see the 2018 data, but with the data you've provided it seems like F&G is being cautious with the current approach since the overall limit isn't being increased but they are trying to control effort. This is way better than putting a daily limit in place. It would be great to see this fishery grow for both recreational and commercial, the data shows the fishery is growing...for both user groups.

    It's all about how you cut up the pie, I want the biggest piece of that pie, but so does everybody else. If we get a bigger pie then my piece becomes bigger, as does every piece. Let's grow the pie and all get more, whether that be by 5 pots or 3 pots.

    As a recreational user, I still think the recreational users need a better way to measure and report. I think the current system is extremely unreliable since it is based on the judgement of fishermen...and that is never a reliable source.
    ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman


  9. #69
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For all the talk of the fishery collapsing, it might help to look at the data. I totally understand that there are concerns about fishing pressure and managers should always remain vigilant, but the data suggests that although there are yearly fluctuations in the shrimp biomass, overall the population trends have been stable or somewhat positive.

    I didn't find data from the 2018 pot survey, but this data includes years up to 2017.









    Source: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../890169415.pdf
    Thats the problem with all these charts and graphs, those guys at F&G only believe what the charts tell them, no real world fishing experience except for some hoaky pot survey at the end of the season. Just look around the rest of the country and see how that has caused other fisheries go to poop.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  10. #70
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Thats the problem with all these charts and graphs, those guys at F&G only believe what the charts tell them, no real world fishing experience except for some hoaky pot survey at the end of the season. Just look around the rest of the country and see how that has caused other fisheries go to poop.
    I would much rather our management decisions be based on data collected using rigorous criteria than anecdotal reports from fishermen. To suggest that they don't use "real world fishing experience" is not accurate at all - especially as it pertains to the commercial fishery, they get timely reports of what is going on as the season unfolds.

    Last year I had my best shrimping success since the mid-80s. I've almost never had such consistently full pots. Based on my "real world fishing experience", I guess we should up the pot limit since the shrimping is so good.

    I'm not suggesting that there is no value in looking at other data points beyond what these charts convey, but regular sampling using consistent techniques and locations is an important part of developing population estimates, and that is an important part of managing fisheries like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •