Thread: Fairbanks area

Default Fairbanks area

Good evening everyone, I may have an opportunity to take a job in the Fairbanks area and Id like hear about the area, hunting, fishing and crime. Its not my ideal location as Id like to live near the coast but Im hoping that in time I could transfer. So, lets hear the good and the bad! Im from NE Ohio so snow and cold are common but I hear its colder in Fairbanks lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted up there in Sept. for 3 weeks. I could not believe the Fast Food prices. And it is CROWDED!

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I hunted up there in Sept. for 3 weeks. I could not believe the Fast Food prices. And it is CROWDED!
    I dont eat fast food luckily!
    My wife wont be able to transfer for at least a year so renting a house further away wouldnt be an issue. Any recommendations?

Yes it can get way colder, and hang in there longer than us further south, but there can be some real beautiful summers up there. Doesn't seem to get the rain like we do down here. I remember taking my daughter up to start at UAF in the fall and it was 76 degrees at 11pm. Absolutely beautiful! The whole time we were there it was gorgeous.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'm about 25 miles east of town and the quality of life here is pretty exceptional, I think. That said, forget the "epic" anything you might have heard about Alaska, except maybe the epic cold. The fishing is great but it's pretty much grayling, burbot, and pike, we don't have towering mountains or moose behind every tree, but we do have great trails, a lot of space, and the natural world on our doorstep. There are moose and caribou but you'll work for them. Small game hunting is excellent (we've hit peak hare).
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I'm about 25 miles east of town and the quality of life here is pretty exceptional, I think. That said, forget the "epic" anything you might have heard about Alaska, except maybe the epic cold. The fishing is great but it's pretty much grayling, burbot, and pike, we don't have towering mountains or moose behind every tree, but we do have great trails, a lot of space, and the natural world on our doorstep. There are moose and caribou but you'll work for them. Small game hunting is excellent (we've hit peak hare).
    Im not afraid of working for a moose or caribou, and I really enjoy small game hunting. I love being in the outdoors and I want my kids to be enjoy the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by rooster85 View Post
    Im not afraid of working for a moose or caribou, and I really enjoy small game hunting. I love being in the outdoors and I want my kids to be enjoy the outdoors.
    That's basically all you need, aside from warm boots. I'll add that I think this is a terrific place for kids to develop great outdoors skills.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

We've been in Fairbanks for about 21 years now. I like it. From what I've seen its one of the better locations in the state for being able to find a reasonably priced house on a few acres of woods within 15 or 20 minutes of town. We live in the Cripple Creek neighborhood on the SW side of Fairbanks.
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    We've been in Fairbanks for about 21 years now. I like it. From what I've seen its one of the better locations in the state for being able to find a reasonably priced house on a few acres of woods within 15 or 20 minutes of town. We live in the Cripple Creek neighborhood on the SW side of Fairbanks.
    Hows the crime? My cousin lives in anchorage and tells me about the crime there.
    Also, how long is it dark for during winter?

Hows the crime? My cousin lives in anchorage and tells me about the crime there.
    Also, how long is it dark for during winter?

The crime isn't remotely as bad as LosAnchorage, but it's definitely not nonexistent and it's worse than it used to be. Thieving seems to be the primary pastime of lots of people.

At winter solstice we get down to a little less than 4 hours of direct sunlight, and the sun's low on the horizon.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Be careful which part of near the coast you transfer to eventually. If our new Governor has his way, youll have to swim for it.

Im not a city guy, can someone recommend an area outside Fairbanks to look at? We raise hogs, beef, assorted poultry and garden here and wed like to continue wherever we may land.

Im not a city guy, can someone recommend an area outside Fairbanks to look at? We raise hogs, beef, assorted poultry and garden here and wed like to continue wherever we may land.

How far "outside Fairbanks" do you want to be? Where /what is your job?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    How far "outside Fairbanks" do you want to be? Where /what is your job?
    Ft Wainwright

You might look at land out Chena Hotsprings Road, or out toward Salcha.

What about kids activities in the area?

As a new resident to Fairbanks ( Moved there in February) I can tell you that , yes it gets cold, ( -30), any city has crime, tons of activities for kids ( I have 3 grandkids there ranging from 3rd grade to 10th grade)

Another thing to consider is that we can get some pretty significant temperature inversions in the winter. If you get a place in the hills it can be a LOT warmer during cold snaps with a little elevation. If you like to heat with wood, there are restrictions to burning on some days in some areas. You might want to find a map of the "non-attainment" area. Water well drilling can be hit or miss also. You can spend big bucks to drill a deep well and get not so good (high iron, etc.) water. Many people, myself included, have a holding tank and haul water. We just have a moderate sized garden so it isn't that big of a deal. If you want a larger farm it could be a factor. Finding property with an existing well with good water would be a big plus.
    Louis Knapp

a lot of what is above is very true, my sons property, where I live now with them, is up in the hills, so the inversion is real and he will be often warmer than down in fairbanks and away from the "smog"
    yes many of his neighbors, including us have to have a water tank and water hauled in, runs about 9cents a gallon delivered, maybe in the flats you can have a well. YOu will also see a lot of people wiht water tanks in the back of thier pickups. It would be cheaper to get the water in town at a water station, but with a family of 6, 2 horses and other assorted animals, we use a lot so easier to get delivered. 1500 gallons at a time, but we might jump up to a 2500 gallon tank as one week the water hauler could not get up our hill ( to neighbors either) and we ran out, not fun.
    seems a lot of people heat with fuel oil, we only have heat on that, boiler system. That gets deleivered too, however, we are gonna start hauling ourselves in 55 gallon drums and a pump, as the fuel guys charge 40 cents a gallon to deliver, and we have to go to town almost daily anyway
    cooking and hot water is electric, but I am used to being on propane and we are gonna explore that and the cost comparison, plus I like cooking with gas. I did not see many people with propane tanks at their homes, so maybe their is an issue with propane in Alaska...Fairbanks anyway

also as stated above , some food is more money, esp fast food and pizza. however Costco is the same price on most stuff as it is in Oregon, Walmart, fred meyer and safeway is pretty competitive to Oregon, but a bit higher...Organics is a lot higher. I have not lived in Fairbanks for a summer yet, my son says that there will be a few farmers markets that open in the summer, good organics and good prices. Gas is 15 cents higher in Alaska even being self serve, but diesel is cheaper.

I cant think of many places id rather live than fairbanks area. you can live as cheaply or expensively if you want. you can have all modern amenities; flush toilets, garage, heated shop - but its gonna cost you. you can also live dry cabin life super cheaply, but you gotta work more and tolerate a bit of discomfort. i don't have kids so can't tell you exactly, but my friends kids seem to be plenty busy, its a very family friendly town. The people here are generally great. Crime is only bad by fairbanks standards, which means not bad at all, but it has gotten a little worse. Mainly property theft.

It does get cold, which even people from other parts of Alaska seem to be scared off by, but I like it for the consistent snowpack and lack of icy storms in the middle of winter. I came from the south and had never had a real winter, and I'd say I've adapted pretty easily, and seen my share of -40 and colder. Its not a negligible issue, but its easy to adapt to as long as you're prepared to do so. People always talk about how great fairbanks summers are but personally I prefer winter.

Raising beef will definitely be a little more challenging than you're used to, but pigs and poultry no problem. For my garden I collect rainwater and that actually gets me pretty far, as I haul water in my pickup too. Hunting and fishing right in fairbanks is not anything to write home about, but the location gives you access to everything else. Its a regional hub, and you can get out in the swamps for moose, in the hills for bou, or the mountains for sheep pretty easily. Salmon is a 6 hour drive minimum. Speaking of which - a reliable vehicle is pretty important.

papabear - plenty of people use propane, but your propane will freeze at -55F. Thats how I calibrate my thermometers

As far as areas to live, I echo the reccomendations of chena hotsprings road or salcha areas. if you're planning to build or to stay long term - walk the property, in the summer, before you buy. The ground up here is pretty bad, lots of permafrost and subsidence issues.

Oh yea, mosquitoes can be brutal!!