Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a lot to learn... powder advice?

This is a very good read on penetration in .458 cartridges. Faster is not better when it comes to penetration with big solid/hard cast bullets.

www.garretcartridges.com/penetration.html
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 1 Week Ago at 12:29.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    This is a very good read on penetration in .458 cartridges. Faster is not better when it comes to penetration with big solid/hard cast bullets.

www.garretcartridges.com/penetration.html
    Couldn't get the link to work.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Couldn't get the link to work.
    See if this gets you to their site.
    http://www.garrettcartridges.com/commentaries.html

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I've looked through my stuff but can't find the special issue dedicated to the 45-70. I can't remember the name of the magazine if it would save my life. It had tons of info about reloading of this round. Everything from just a couple grains to use on squirrels and such around camp all the way to full house loads for Cape Buffalo. Anyone remember having seen this issue? If so please post the info. Thanks in advance!

One article is in Handloader Magazine, August 2007, #248. It's a tease because it's only available in electronic format now.

Default OK then...

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    See if this gets you to their site.
    http://www.garrettcartridges.com/commentaries.html
    http://www.garrettcartridges.com/modern4570.html

I certainly feel comfortable knowing my .45-70 will do the job. If I do my part, we should be OK. Hoping to not need it, but better to be prepared...

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If you want to have some real fun with that 45-70 and get to know the rifle real well, order up some standard 400- or 405-grain lead bullets, then check the cast bullet reloading manuals.... Best of all, cutting back on the cost of bullets and powder will save you a buncha bux getting there.
    So I read a number of the comments on the Garrett links...all things that make sense to me, 'specially for my Redhawk .44 and Marlin .45-70, the two guns that will be with me on my next trip to the bush. So I looked at their prices. Holy-moly! I DO think I can save a BUNCH-a-Bux getting there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12