Thread: Primer shipping to Alaska

Default Primer shipping to Alaska

Question for you. I moved up here last year and back in NY i have a lot of primers. I know from idway, Cabelas, Dillon etc you can order primers and they tack on $20 per 10,000 to ship via UPS. UPS Hazmat line tells me that they do not ship primers at all to Alaska. Anyone know another carrier that does?

The only way that primers can be shipped to AK is by barge from the west coast to ANC. Shipboard cargo. The cost for one primer or 100,000 (or possible more) will be about $880. This includes truck freight from the distributer, to the sea cargo terminal. That would make a couple thousand primers pretty expensive. Just bite the bullet and go to a local shop and buy what you need. It's called the cost of being here and you will be compensated in October.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Thats the way its looking like

I'll just sell those to friends back there and buy some more up here. I already have bought some just figured since I had about 20,000 back there it would be cheaper to ship them. Looks like FedEx might but its probably not going to be worth the hassle in the long run.

Default Primer Shipping

One way to do it is to load the primers into cases, which transforms them from Class 1.4 to ORM-D Cartridges Small Arms. ORM-D can be accepted for Air Shipment easliy by FEDEX, same as fully up rounds.

Or you can carry from 4lbs to 50 lbs, if your airline allows ammo at all, in your suitcase on the airplane.

The weight limit depends on which airlines you fly with

The cost of shipping 4 cases of primers (20K) will most likely exceed the value of just buying them here. Most of the local gunshops will cut you a good deal if you buy in bulk like that.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Just bite the bullet and go to a local shop and buy what you need. It's called the cost of being here and you will be compensated in October.

Murph, What a great response! Besides, it will give you more excuses to go into sporting good stores looking for goodies when you need primers.
    Tennessee

Default FedEX will ship

But the hoops you have to jump through and the cost is not anywhere near worth it. $225 for two cases (10K) makes them awful expensive primers. Not including the UN4G boxes you have to buy to package them in which I found if you bought in quantity they aren't bad but all I needed was one.
    And as far as the cost of being here goes coming from NY I'll gladly pay a lot more to be here than there!! And I don't ever really need an excuse to go to a gunshop, I need the excuses when I get home