Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13' KaBoat SK385XL

Mt AL,

We have an infestation here too.

Thanks for all comments and ideas. I'm anxious to get my boat while it's too much snow to work on my house but temps are rising so it won't last long. Once I get into the boat I'm sure there will be more questions. Thanks again!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I read somewhere that folks are coating the bottom of their Kaboats with urethane. Is this for bottom protection or to make the PVC bottom material slicker to allow it to slide over obstructions, rocks, logs, etc. easier? The more I look at this sucker the more I wonder why it took me so long to get interested in them...now if mine would just ship.

Just spent 3 days digging snow out of my house foundation so I can get subgrade leveled and insulation for my hydronics heat system in place. Gotta focus on the house but I'm taking a little time off when the 13' arrives.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Not sure how many folks use the fold up transom mounted wheels to launch or move your Kaboat around, but I ordered a set off ebey for $70. Got em today and they are nicer than expected. Stainless (Chinese most likely) legs that are nicely finished and work easily and 3" wide solid plastic wheels that are supposed to support 250 lbs. that should roll easy enough except in loose sand. We'll see how they last...just wish my 13' was here.

I wouldn't worry about coating with urethane, it is for extra protection. The double layers on the bottom should be good.

Good advice Brian!

I noticed on another site some folks are using bed liner on catarafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Not sure how many folks use the fold up transom mounted wheels to launch or move your Kaboat around, but I ordered a set off ebey for $70. Got em today and they are nicer than expected. Stainless (Chinese most likely) legs that are nicely finished and work easily and 3" wide solid plastic wheels that are supposed to support 250 lbs. that should roll easy enough except in loose sand. We'll see how they last...just wish my 13' was here.
    I have/had those on mine and they work fine as long as the boat doesn't have much weight in it and the surface isn't too gravely/loose. I used ATV ramps and those wheels to get the boat in and out of my truck and down to the water a few times. keep mine inflated all the time. Also needed a hitch extender and "canoe holder upper" thing to keep the boat in the bed while en route.

I drilled my transom for the angle pieces and slathered exterior caulking everywhere, used fender washers, etc.

Still have them, but customized a Harbor Freight trailer for full time KaBoat duty for most trips. If I go on a long trip with it deflated, the wheels go back on. Ice is melting here, can't wait to take it out soon.

Ice on the big lake is gone but the small lakes are still 3-4" but going fast.

I have a bed extender and it works well. My snow machine trailer is 8 x 14' so I can use that in a pinch. The set I got have solid tires 4" wide so I'm hoping they will support the 13'...wish it would ship so I can get the frame built. I want to play in the Clark Fork when the flow is down and maybe get a fish or two on the fly rod.

If you get over this direction give me a shout.

Next question...I'm planning something to cover the air floor. Do most folks use some stiffener between the air floor and the bottom... if so what?
    This is what I got for my 15 footer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sprung a leak on the floor because I'm a dummy and dropped a cigarette butt so I felt like it was necessary to protect the floor afterward. I don't have any pics of it in use but it works great. You just tuck it in between the tubes and floor before its fully inflated and it locks the mat in place after inflation. The roll was 4 feet wide so I have the other half of it if anyone needs it.

I also got some launch wheels from ebay that were surprisingly good quality. Only problem is the transom is so narrow that when the wheels are in the upright position after launch you can barely steer without the motor hitting the wheels. I have just been pulling the wheels off in the water and storing them up front. The hard part is putting the wheels back on while you're on the water so you can just roll it out onto the beach. It is a real PITA. So, just make sure to mount the wheels as far out as possible. I could've gone out maybe an extra inch on either side but I don't know how much of a difference that would've made. Hopefully it works a little better for you.
    -

Thanks for all the info and suggestions gents!! I have seen folks unhappy with the wheel legs getting in the way of steering. I have a 55 lb thrust electric, a 3.3 hp Merc and a 9.9 hp Merc so hopefully I can make something work with the wheels in place or some mod.

l got an email from the distributor today and the latest shipment has arrived in South Florida. Unfortunately, there are some minor cosmetic "issues" with this shipment and they offered several options and I choose the $100 discount and ship my boat soonest. I've been dealing with cosmetic issues for years and have so far survived them all...ready for my Kaboat!!

Kaboat ships from Miami on 15 April...3rd coat of paint on the frame a couple hours ago...ready to deal with cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by jsonn View Post
    This is what I got for my 15 footer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got some launch wheels from ebay that were surprisingly good quality. Only problem is the transom is so narrow that when the wheels are in the upright position after launch you can barely steer without the motor hitting the wheels. I have just been pulling the wheels off in the water and storing them up front. The hard part is putting the wheels back on while you're on the water so you can just roll it out onto the beach. It is a real PITA. So, just make sure to mount the wheels as far out as possible. I could've gone out maybe an extra inch on either side but I don't know how much of a difference that would've made. Hopefully it works a little better for you.
    Had the same problem with launch wheels in the way of the motor limiting steering. I made some "half way up" brackets from aluminum bar stock and clevis pins. Keeps the wheels below the head of the outboard and allows you to keep the wheels on the transom. Someday I'll learn to post better pics!

Kaboat ships from Miami on 15 April...3rd coat of paint on the frame a couple hours ago...ready to deal with cosmetics.
    Awesome, just in time for the lakes to thaw! I'm cosmetically flawed but make it through life OK, should be the same for your kaboat.

Wheels? I donít understand the need for them.
    I launch at remote launches so myself and my partner just grab a rope and haul down to water. Then we mount the outboard. Then we load our stuff. Then we launch. The boat is easily manageable with two people and when Iíve done it solo, I went through same process. Just sweated a little bit more.

Even if if I was using a paved launch, Iím not sure I see an advantage of using wheels.
    What purpose do they serve?

Can't comment from experience but I think the wheels reduce sweat and I'll probably do a fair amount solo trips. I love my cargo Esquif but I can't easily launch or recover alone even when I use the stupid canoe wheels that never track where want them to go...hoping these wheels will make it a lot more fun with the little 13' Kaboat which is one of the reasons I bought it...now... how to cope with old, slow and ugly.

#2 son caught 14 Rainbows in the 16" range and released all but two, one for him and one for Mick his 100 lb Lab and loose fish retriever. Mick loves sushi.

I put wheels on a 15' Kaboat because I do some portages, and where it is difficult to launch alone or even with two people. I found that it is fairly easy to haul it around alone, but better with two especially in loose gravel or sand, even with the motor mounted, which is 80#. The balance is right if I put the bow on my head and grab the ropes; can even go up hill. I changed the hard wheels to pneumatic that go over rocks easier.
    Last year I learned the hard way though that raising the motor and going over rough trail can damage the lift mechanism on it. I'll try a support of some kind to prevent that.
    RandyS

Thanks for that input guys. I always take my motor off when portaging. But itís something to think about. I also donít portages very much. Lol
    and if there is the possibility of a lot of dragging I take a buddy.
    Wheels can be useful.

I forgot to mention one other thing about wheels. If I am going a moderate distance without the motor on it, I put the wheels straight up, flip the kaboat upside down, and put the bow on my head. That changes the balance and makes it much easier for one person to move it.
    I tried to upload a picture but for some reason it was rotated 90 degrees.
    RandyS

Lightbulb

Here's a pic of what I came up with:

I put a threaded rod thru a piece of aluminum tubing with lock-nuts to make an axle. All fabbed in the Fairbanks Walmart parking lot I used the wheels from my game cart. A ratchet strap keeps it in place. I mainly use them to get it up/down using ramps but it's also better than dragging the boat to the waters edge.

PS: I got 7 1/2' Cataract oars. I plan to test them out on some II+ rapids this spring. Will try to get some video of the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Wheels? I donít understand the need for them.
    I launch at remote launches so myself and my partner just grab a rope and haul down to water. Then we mount the outboard. Then we load our stuff. Then we launch. The boat is easily manageable with two people and when Iíve done it solo, I went through same process. Just sweated a little bit more.

Even if if I was using a paved launch, Iím not sure I see an advantage of using wheels.
    What purpose do they serve?
    My main reason for getting them was to quickly launch/recover when I am in Seward and the water is a little choppy. Putting an 85# motor on while standing in 2 feet of water and waves are hitting you and the boat is not a good time. Even with the pain of having to remove them in the water I still use them to launch even on flat water. Itís a whole lot easier to mount the motor at an ergonomic height with the wheels down then roll the boat rather than heaving the motor around by hand up to the boat in the water.
    -

It's here! Outer box a shambles but no apparent damage to the boat or contents. First thing I noticed was a stamp saying " made in Viet Nam" not Taiwan or Korea as some of the other folks reflected. Now , I have a number of reasons to not be happy about that but I'm willing to give it a fair chance. Pump, oars, rope and one seat appeared to be fine too. Just as I was getting ready to remove the boat I got a text from my plumbing inspector saying "call me". Well apparently I put vent on the wrong side of the floor drain...change it and send him a pic and he won't fail me...good guy for sure. Well that's a 2 hour round trip, half hour to move vent and I got back home too tired to screw with the boat...chapter 2 tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast