Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 13' KaBoat SK385XL

I cut my skegs off.....

It will work but won't it slip on med & high power turns ?? SID

Quote Originally Posted by south coast stu View Post
    I cut my skegs off.....
    Why? I love mine. Help tremendously with tracking and stability.

I hear you Yukon on that one, Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Why? I love mine. Help tremendously with tracking and stability.
    They were always getting hung up on stuff (truck rack, sticks, etc.). I built my KaBoat for running skinny. The Solars don't seem to need skegs. But to each their own....

They were always getting hung up on stuff (truck rack, sticks, etc.). I built my KaBoat for running skinny. The Solars don't seem to need skegs. But to each their own....
    Watch South Coast Stu's youtube video for some shallow water running, makes sense for what he's doing. Mine are staying on for my usage.

they do get hung up, and though I run a prop at the moment, I enjoy the tracking they provide.
    When i has my surface drive I enjoyed the tracking ability vs the sliding ability that my boat offered.
    running up remote Alaskan creeks that barely fit your boat the tracking ability is important.

But, if there was an advantage for me, I’d have no problem
    modifying it.

I've only had the electric on mine so far but would think the 9.9 would need skegs in place to improve tracking and keep it going in the right direction in a turn. It would be fun to slide around when you want to but not sure how to make them retractable...dagger board thru the floor?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I've only had the electric on mine so far but would think the 9.9 would need skegs in place to improve tracking and keep it going in the right direction in a turn. It would be fun to slide around when you want to but not sure how to make them retractable...dagger board thru the floor?
    Sea Eagle has a removable skeg system and they sell the base and skegs. When I was going to cut mine off, when I was whole hog on the jet and following south coast stu's awesome bottom conversion for same, I was going to buy the sea eagle removables. However, went the "lake" rout with my Kaboat instead. Some day....

Have FUN an don't kill your self on the water SID

I'd still like to be able to do some mild rapids (2 or less) so I think they add stability in steering there as well...but I'm no expert.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I can’t critize anyone for cutting skegs off. I use a 20 hp 4 stroke on mine.

Is that a 15'?

Still thinking of building a 20HP 4 stroke long tail for my Esquif Cargo but then #2 son wants to put a hole in the bottom and convert to a jet ski water intake and pump, etc. But then we have an almost running snowgo engine at about 80hp...gotta finish my house and plane first.

BTW, if you don't have a Henry lever in .22 Mag... get one...incredibly accurate!

K boat is still loosing air but not at the rate it did previously. I took it out yesterday and used the 3.3 Merc and it seemed to push it maybe 25% faster than the 54lb thrust electric. No fishing, just fooled around for a bit and brought it home...new house (soon to be home) and stuck it in the hanger for safe keeping. Gotta say it's a nice little boat and by myself the 13' is just the right size...maybe a 15' would be right for 2 folks.

Keep your powder dry and your flies wet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234