Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing aircraft alert

Default Missing aircraft alert

Cessna 172 went missing enroute from Rainy pass to Wasilla yesterday.
    They have not found it yet. Keep your eyes peeled if your out flying. Weather has been less than ideal for searching. I'm really hoping they find them alive.

Really hope they find that. The report that it was seen on a lake but has not been found yet was troubling. I cant imagine a 172 being able to land on any lakes in that area and be able to get back in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Really hope they find that. The report that it was seen on a lake but has not been found yet was troubling. I cant imagine a 172 being able to land on any lakes in that area and be able to get back in the air.
    Lots of deep snow out there, be hard to spot a white plane.

The news agencies seem to have stopped updating the story since Thursday.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The news agencies seem to have stopped updating the story since Thursday.
    Do you know why they would do that?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

This one seemed to quietly slip away quickly. No info on who it is, color of aircraft or anything of the like.

Saw a post on Facebook that National guard is overhead just the weather isn't cooperating - they had a ping of some sort from the plane. There's people in Skwentna and Rainy Pass Lodge waiting.

172 with red wings.

I know who the pilot is but will keep it quiet for right now but first hand info from his family there still wasn't any news waiting for weather to lend a helping hand. I had not heard of a ping being detected that is new news to me.

14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Any updates on this search? I am not on facebook, so I am not seeing any new info out there.
    I am hoping the pilot found one of the cabins up in there and is hunkered down waiting for rescue.

FROM THREE DAYS AGO:::
    ANCHORAGE (KTUU) -
    Last week, a small Alaska plane went missing, flying from Rainy Pass to the Wasilla airport. Now, days later, officials say weather has improved enough for the search to resume.

The plane was a red and white Cessna 172, according to David Bedard, spokesperson for the 176th Wing of the Alaska National Guard. It was reported missing on March 7.
    While Bedard did confirm that only one person, the pilot, is thought to have been on board, the identity of the missing person has not yet been released.
    Crews with the Guard will launch Tuesday, as Bedard said weather is looking good for another search attempt. Search and rescue efforts were put on hold last Thursday due to deteriorating weather conditions.
    An Air Guard HH-60 Pave Hawk with a para rescue team will be looking for the missing plane.

No new info releases after a few more days... The news media, who could really care less about any victims, has moved on to other stories.
    By the way, I believe the record for surviving after a winter time crash is 81 days.....

Might be prudent for aircraft drivers to take a serious review of their winter survival kit

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    No new info releases after a few more days... The news media, who could really care less about any victims, has moved on to other stories.
    By the way, I believe the record for surviving after a winter time crash is 81 days.....

I flew through twice today to pick up cargo on the west side of the range. I packed extra fuel to do a little looking.
    Conditions were bad first trip and a little better on the second. I think everyone is hoping for a little sun up there today.
    There has been a fair amount of new snow and wind since the aircraft went missing.
    Just really tough conditions for searching.
    After spending some time looking for this aircraft I am definatley turning my attention towards my survival kit.
    My heart goes out to the family. I truly hope this turns out to be a survival story for this pilot.

https://www.ktva.com/story/40161725/family-friends-raising-money-to-fund-search-for-missing-pilot

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help with the cost of searching for a pilot missing near Rainy Pass since March 6.

The Federal Aviation Administration confirms the missing plane’s tail number as N7469A. Online records list the aircraft as registered to Tim Twohy, the same man money is being raised for on GoFundMe.

According to the fundraising site, Twohy was flying his Cessna 172 back to Wasilla from the Submarine Lake area where he was picking up a bison for a friend. The site describes Twohy as a well-known member of the community and the kind of person who, "would do anything for anybody."

Courtesy of Lynette Cooper

Several private pilots, as well as various agencies, have been involved in the search. Bad weather, however, has hampered search efforts.

According to the Alaska Air National Guard spokesperson David Bedard the search is on hold due to weather conditions in the area, but that Civil Air Patrol had been flying Tuesday morning.

Civil Air Patrol Maj. Bryan Emerson said Tuesday afternoon their search activities had ended for the day.

"We launched one plane this morning but he had to turn around because of low clouds, and we've got six on standby," Emerson said.

Lynette Cooper, who's representing family members, said in an emailed statement:

"We are very appreciative of the ongoing search and rescue efforts of the National Guard, Civil Air Patrol, RCC, the Iditarod, Air Force and Private volunteer efforts of friends, family, and Alaskan pilots who are actively trying to rescue/recover him despite inclimate weather. We miss him greatly, and we remain hopeful that he will be found safe with yet another adventure story to share."

Courtesy of Lynette Cooper

The GoFundMe site raised more than the initial goal in just a few days. As of Tuesday afternoon, the page showed that $6,745 had been pledged toward the $3,000 goal.

Copyright 2019 KTVA. All rights reserved.

Search suspended.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) — Update: Friday, 7:22 p.m.
    The search for Tim Twohy, whose aircraft went missing near Rainy Pass has been suspended.
    In a press release, David Bedard of the Alaska Air National Guard's 176th Wing said the decision was made following recommendations from the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center.
    The Cessna 172 was reported missing on March 7.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Tr...507436161.html

Hopefully the weather will improve and they can find him.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

He is family of someone I know and he is reported to be quite skilled and a "MacGyver" type. I hope he is holed up and will be found....

When I go out, I plan on a long term camping trip. As I am sure other pilots do as well. I would be irate if everyone stopped looking for me after 10 days. I would be getting low on freeze dried chili-mac by then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast