Thread: Mat-valley Ice Fishing?

Default Mat-valley Ice Fishing?

We are back at ice fishing for trout again, after a really quiet late January and February. We fish stocked and unstocked lakes usually for larger rainbows. Did pretty good up in to December, usually keeping only one fish a day if we intend to eat it that night.

We Fished the last two days, with mixed barometer settings and nothing, so far, some stickle-backs, but no real bites.

Any one doing a bit better out there?

We've been jigging small spoons and bait - cooked and raw shrimp, and salmon eggs on hooks with mashed barbs. We fish two holes each and usually stand next to or hold the rods - slow jigging.

Probably won't fish outside the valley this winter.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

We had luck on salmon row cured popcorn shrimp. Bright pink seemed to work pretty good. This was on Finger Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    We are back at ice fishing for trout again, after a really quiet late January and February. We fish stocked and unstocked lakes usually for larger rainbows. Did pretty good up in to December, usually keeping only one fish a day if we intend to eat it that night.

We Fished the last two days, with mixed barometer settings and nothing, so far, some stickle-backs, but no real bites.

Any one doing a bit better out there?

We've been jigging small spoons and bait - cooked and raw shrimp, and salmon eggs on hooks with mashed barbs. We fish two holes each and usually stand next to or hold the rods - slow jigging.

Probably won't fish outside the valley this winter.
    Hey Woodsman,

My guess is the bite for rainbows is still a little bit off, but should start improving in a few weeks as the temperatures start to rise, the ice begins melt, and the underwater plants start photosynthesizing a little. My guess is the rainbows are just a little hypoxic right now, which is typical in Late winter. Early spring it usually starts to improve and will peak right before break-up. Maybe try some lakes that are a little deeper. Usually the deeper (Oligotrophic) lakes have a little bit more of an oxygen reserve and they don't experience the steep declines in oxygen this time of year. When the shallow lakes become hypoxic, rainbows become lethargic. This is a good time of year to fish deep lakes with Arctic Char, Burbot, and Lakers. Good luck.

Hey guys! Great come backs. Bushwack, I agree, its a little early, we are fishing for big ones, in a stocked lake where nothing ins moving. We haunt the lake lately a couple days a week viewing the barometer etc. Soon now :-)

Hope you are still having fun! Honestly, don't worry about the Lake Louise situation. These are the good old days there, best in many years. I don't even LET people know when I fish there. It is amazing when we go.

Some other amazing places that no one will mention either even in the valley. Lake trout fishing is more secretive than good grouse spots.

Enjoy! Great to read your comments and insight! :-)

Glen
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Coop, thank you for the comeback. Finger Lake is an excellent place to fish. I haven't fished it in years, but the stocking rate is way off the chart with Chinook and they eat great. Thank you! Best Regards!

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    We had luck on salmon row cured popcorn shrimp. Bright pink seemed to work pretty good. This was on Finger Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys! Great come backs. Bushwack, I agree, its a little early, we are fishing for big ones, in a stocked lake where nothing ins moving. We haunt the lake lately a couple days a week viewing the barometer etc. Soon now :-)

Hope you are still having fun! Honestly, don't worry about the Lake Louise situation. These are the good old days there, best in many years. I don't even LET people know when I fish there. It is amazing when we go.

Some other amazing places that no one will mention either even in the valley. Lake trout fishing is more secretive than good grouse spots.

Enjoy! Great to read your comments and insight! :-)

Glen

You mention Lake Louise, you also mention we are having the good old days at the moment, can you please tell us about your latest studies to confirm this? Truly the fishing on the lake system has declined and will continue to do so with the added fishing pressure from the two lodge sponsored guides, and the added events.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    You mention Lake Louise, you also mention we are having the good old days at the moment, can you please tell us about your latest studies to confirm this? Truly the fishing on the lake system has declined and will continue to do so with the added fishing pressure from the two lodge sponsored guides, and the added events.
    Whens the big Louise derby kicking off?

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Whens the big Louise derby kicking off?
    Hopefully never 😊 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    No chance 51, I'm retired. For your own personal reasons, you don't want to believe the experts, when you out grow that tendency let us know, for now, it's your way or the highway. Good luck with that Grandpa.

Try to keep learning, I take it we're not too old for that. Over & out.

No chance 51, I'm retired. For your own personal reasons, you don't want to believe the experts, when you out grow that tendency let us know, for now, it's your way or the highway. Good luck with that Grandpa.

Try to keep learning, I take it we're not too old for that. Over & out.

Nice personel attack