Thread: My insurance just jumped

Default My insurance just jumped

The underwriter that BWI was using for their 180/185 program, decided not to cover Alaska any more.... So

My insurance premium just jumped up an additional $1,500 from last year, with a higher deductible...

I will be shopping around...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I got quotes from BWI for my 180 from about 3 companies last summer, and was surprised by how low they were. I chose not to go with them because they would only write a $100k seat liability limitation. I was told that in AK, I needed an instrument rating or 3000 hours in order to get a higher liability limit (I have a little over 2000 hrs). I wonder if there have been some significant losses for the BWI companies?

I've been with Avemco for many years and they give me a $250k seat liability limit. Hangaring my airplane for the winter mitigates the premium cost, but it's still at least double the cost of insurance in the lower 48.

It turns out that the underwriter, ( AIG ) decided that they were pulling out of Alaska, particularly on floats, after all the losses over the last couple years spooked AIGs owner.

So the 180/185 ( group buy) program with BWI is still alive, but AIG underwriters messed it up for Alaskans.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I like those guys, BWI. They are always very helpful when I have questions or need some paperwork shuffled.
    My guess is they will still be very competitive on pricing. My renewal comes up in May so we will see.

I had a good experience with Falcon down there in Soldotna. Llyods was the underwritter. They'll insure anything.