Thread: I need a boat!

Default I need a boat!

I am relocating to Ak next spring and I am looking for a boat to fish out of. fresh water rivers for salmon, trout etc. I don't have a huge amount of excess cash but would like to have something to fish out of, any suggestions on length, size of engine, seats, brand name, should I buy it up there? Is there a place up there I should be looking?

Default start shopping now

I went through the boat purchase ordeal this year. While I can recommend a local shop that made me very happy, I think you will do better for your buck down south. You will however get better after purchase service if you buy locally. I know a few shops in the lower 48 specialize in river boats. I would look into those, so that you don't get something that just will not work up here. Also match your price against the shops up here. They have web sites. Good luck and good boating.

I would look at the Yamaha series of john boats. I think they are called G series. Put a 50 hp 4 stroke prop on it if you want to mainly fish the Kenai. Other wise put the biggest DI 2 stroke jet on it that the manufactor allows. 18 footer would be good start. Keep the boat open till you get up here to see how you want to rig up the accessories.
    The other option, and probably the best buy in the long run is to spend your first summer up here looking around and buying something fairly new but used.
    Tennessee

Default Boats

Just to let you know we build custom Jetboats/Jetsleds of all shapes and sizes. Each boat is built to fit each individuals needs. Anything from a basic flatbottom or semi-v up to a Full walk thru windshield. We have been building boats now for over 10 years and this year had a boat go to Anchorage for the first time. It was a 18ft 60 inch bottom, tiller sled. We set it up with a 90/65 Yamaha 4-stroke Jet. The outfitter is very happy and has ordered another one for his lodge. We will be delivering to the Anchorage area 2 times a year now. Early spring and probably mid-late summer. Also quoting a few others for some other lodges out there. Right now we are putting a few diff. packages together for some basic tiller set-ups. Our pricing is is not out of the water either.Our Hulls have a minimum of 1/8 inch thick Aluminum. Fully welded with a Lifetime Warranty. We have built thicker hulls (3/16,etc) for Search and Rescue Boats. I can send you one of our DVD's to show you the variety of boats that we have to offer or e-mail some pics. I would like to talk to you if you have time or e-mail me at sephillips5@hotmail.com Phone # (989) 386-5641 We can chat about floor layouts, weight distribution in the boat, etc. There are lots of diff. things to consider. Thanks Jason @ RiverMan Boat Corp.

If you're looking to get the best bang for your buck, I'd shop Craigslist, Supersaver, Elmendorf "Lemon lot" etc. as there are many to choose from usually in April-early/middle May....

Default Be very sure...

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    I am relocating to Ak next spring and I am looking for a boat to fish out of. fresh water rivers for salmon, trout etc. I don't have a huge amount of excess cash but would like to have something to fish out of, any suggestions on length, size of engine, seats, brand name, should I buy it up there? Is there a place up there I should be looking?
    ... that you want to limit yourself to just freshwater rivers. There are boats that will work reasonably well for rivers and inshore waters (notice I didn't say very well, as there are no great dual purpose boats).

You may decide you would like to do some trolling or mooching in Res. Bay, or Homer, or... well you get the picture. A river boat will beat you to death in a little chop.

How about a Lund with a detunable 4-stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... that you want to limit yourself to just freshwater rivers. There are boats that will work reasonably well for rivers and inshore waters (notice I didn't say very well, as there are no great dual purpose boats).

You may decide you would like to do some trolling or mooching in Res. Bay, or Homer, or... well you get the picture. A river boat will beat you to death in a little chop.

How about a Lund with a detunable 4-stroke?
    You won't die, you will just wish for the pain to stop.

I really am thankful for the help so far.
    I've been looking at a smaller boat that had a good price. Seems like it is probably too small and there is a potential for wanting to see bigger water.
    Also the whole moving it north thing could be expensive, maybe I just hold tight til I'm sure Ak is the place for us permanent like.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/ plenty of boats there for sale.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!