Thread: Okay, so I caved in to "scope power lust"

Default Okay, so I caved in to "scope power lust"

After getting my Pentax PF65EDA-II with the XW14mm (28x) eyepiece and being blown away by the image I just couldn't get past the "what if I had just a little mo powa at times..." so I ordered the Pentax XF 8.5mm eyepiece which will give the little Pentax scope about 46x. About the max you want to push any 65mm scope. I just didn't want to go with a zoom even though there are many astro zooms to choose from. The fixed power eyepieces will always give a better image. And, with the quick release mechanism changing the eyepiece is a snap. Plus the Pentax eyepieces are waterproof and have the lifetime gaurantee.

So I have the wide, bright 70 degree FOV 28x with 20mm eye releif as my main eyepiece for most viewing and the 60 degree FOV 46x with 18mm of eye relief for when "a little mo powa is betta" if atmospheric conditions permit.

The scope and the two eyepieces cost less than a grand including the scope cover delivered to my door (call Doug at Camerland). 56ozs total weight. The xf eyepieces are only 5ozs but the XW's are 13ozs. I figured the XW was worth the extra 8 ozs, it was also 130 bucks more than the XF though. The other option is for a guy to go with the XF 12mm (32x) instead of the XW14. I just decided to spend the extra and get the Pentax big dog XW eyepiece for the brightness, FOV and ER.

I'll post a review of the XF 8.5mm after I get it next week.

If any of you guys live in the Fairbanks area and want to check out the Pentax 65 with these eyepices shoot me a pm. You can "try before you buy".

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default mo powr

Oh yeah, you can't ever get too much! Just put you a Binford Tools sticker on it now, LOL.

Perry, I'll be interested in what you think of the new lens. I've been thrilled with the performance of the XW14 on my pentax PF65. So far, I have not felt the need to add more power.
    From my living room window, I can see the small towers on the top of Hideout Hill over in the Mystery Hills with great detail. They are at least 30 miles away.

Ya, the XW 14 seems to really hit the sweet spot with that scope. I may have just wasted 149 bucks. Well, what can I say... I think there was an old song that said "too much ain't enough...." Well, too much probably is too much!! At least I will satisfy my curiosity to see how the scope does at 46x.

Maybe I should change my handle to NeedMoPowa! Or, ThinkINeedMoPowa!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again