Thread: travel/pack rod

Default travel/pack rod

we are going on a bear hunt in the chugach national forest. looking for some travel rod recommendations. something that will fit in a frame pack. thanks

I would consider almost any 4 pc, 9' fly rod "packable" If you don't fly fish, just use it with a small spinning reel.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I have both Eagle Claw and Fenwick pack rods that are combo fly and spin, (you reverse the handle), both I have used all over the West Coast and AK from 6 inch trout to 30lb salmon. I would recommend either. Although I'm not as fond of the newer compost versions as I prefer fiberglass.

The Eagle Claw is less expensive.
    ďMove that fat ass Henry!Ē
    ďDonít swing your balls or youíll swamp the boat!"

+What Hogfamily says. Several years ago, one of my Son's gave me a (cheap) Eagle Claw, 4 pc, yellow pack rod. I have 4 (or 5 of them now)that I've picked up at gun shows, yard sales, etc. The things I like about them are; 1. They are cheap. 2. It doesn't matter if your fishing for 6" dollies, or 5 lb Silvers the action is perfect (IMHO). My only complaint is that after 10 or so casts, the tip or top half goes flying off on a cast, if you don't check it regularly.

A simple solution that I along with other fly fishers use is to use electrical tape over the ferrules. Try it, i think you will like it.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

LOL.

I meant composite not compost.
    ďMove that fat ass Henry!Ē
    ďDonít swing your balls or youíll swamp the boat!"

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    +What Hogfamily says. Several years ago, one of my Son's gave me a (cheap) Eagle Claw, 4 pc, yellow pack rod. I have 4 (or 5 of them now)that I've picked up at gun shows, yard sales, etc. The things I like about them are; 1. They are cheap. 2. It doesn't matter if your fishing for 6" dollies, or 5 lb Silvers the action is perfect (IMHO). My only complaint is that after 10 or so casts, the tip or top half goes flying off on a cast, if you don't check it regularly.
    That sounds perfect I donít fly fish. The fishing is definitely secondary so I donít know how much fishing I will do, I just want to be prepared for whatever I stumble across. Silvers should be running somewhere when we come up at the end of August. Going to have to research what tackle is used for silvers. Iím sure it is different than fishing for Kings on the lower Niagara River in New York. Thanks

Tons of options for Silvers in terms of tackle. One go to is salmon roe if its allowed where you're hunting, only down side is the smell in a bear prone area....

If not roe, then spoons and spinners is what you should look at next. I personally use Pixie's and Vibrax a lot. Now color and model all come down to personally preference in most cases, so I would lead you astray with my preconceived notions on color selection... That should give you a decent start.

Oh, one last thing if you like throwing flies, you can't get much simpler than a coho fly. Basically a large fly hook with a tuft of yarn above it, then a larger weight couple feet above it. Google it if you want a better look than my description.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak47nutter View Post
    That sounds perfect I donít fly fish. The fishing is definitely secondary so I donít know how much fishing I will do, I just want to be prepared for whatever I stumble across. Silvers should be running somewhere when we come up at the end of August. Going to have to research what tackle is used for silvers. Iím sure it is different than fishing for Kings on the lower Niagara River in New York. Thanks
    since your back-packing and weight is a consideration, I would take a 6 pac of my favorite no 3 vibrex or mepps spinners. Then again if I were to find myself near to a lake or river full of grayling I'd want 1 or 2 small (no 0 or no 1) silver spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeyefun View Post
    Tons of options for Silvers in terms of tackle. One go to is salmon roe if its allowed where you're hunting, only down side is the smell in a bear prone area....

If not roe, then spoons and spinners is what you should look at next. I personally use Pixie's and Vibrax a lot. Now color and model all come down to personally preference in most cases, so I would lead you astray with my preconceived notions on color selection... That should give you a decent start.

Oh, one last thing if you like throwing flies, you can't get much simpler than a coho fly. Basically a large fly hook with a tuft of yarn above it, then a larger weight couple feet above it. Google it if you want a better look than my description.
    We have tried vibrax for kings with no luck, but I will have to get them for the silvers. This trip is going to be quite the learning experience.
    I don't think roe would be the best for when we are hunting we might take a day off to fish we will have to try it. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    A simple solution that I along with other fly fishers use is to use electrical tape over the ferrules. Try it, i think you will like it.
    And the simpler solution is waxing the ferrules. They won't ever come apart on a cast, and won't get totally stuck together, which is a worse problem.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Where are you going to hunt? I see bear sign, as well as the real deal, and occasional hunters and guides, down low when fishing silver streams in the Chugach. The fishing is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Where are you going to hunt? I see bear sign, as well as the real deal, and occasional hunters and guides, down low when fishing silver streams in the Chugach. The fishing is really good.

we have rented a cabin in sterling and are driving maybe towards moose pass, parking on the road. then spike camping as far as we can go in in a day. then hunting from their, any direction would be appreciated.

Also what pound test and mono or fluorocarbon?

I've had a lot of fun with the yellow eagle claw. Now I mainly use a Daiwa rod. 8 piece or something... little stouter and better suited to silvers, less suited for small trout, and packs up shorter. I use 8-14# line on it. The Eagle claw handled 6# very well- I once caught a 20# Deshka king with it on 4# test.