Thread: S&W Shield in .40 S&W

Default S&W Shield in .40 S&W

Had to have one...everyone loves them. It has been 100% reliable.

I got one without the safety, it shoots nice and recoil is just about the same as my Glock 27. It's a little thinner than the 27 but has a few less rounds. Carry wise I see no real advantage to the single stack and less rounds..IWB holster carries both just the same. I stippled the grip since the plastic is kinda slick. 15yd groups are grapefruit size...certainly good enough for defensive use. Only complaint is the mag release is too short and unlike Glock there is no after market upgrade that I can find. I might clip it on the sun visor in the little truck just to keep it handy.

Thought you should know.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Had to have one...everyone loves them. It has been 100% reliable.

I got one without the safety, it shoots nice and recoil is just about the same as my Glock 27. It's a little thinner than the 27 but has a few less rounds. Carry wise I see no real advantage to the single stack and less rounds..IWB holster carries both just the same. I stippled the grip since the plastic is kinda slick. 15yd groups are grapefruit size...certainly good enough for defensive use. Only complaint is the mag release is too short and unlike Glock there is no after market upgrade that I can find. I might clip it on the sun visor in the little truck just to keep it handy.

Thought you should know.
    Yeah, I should know. I gonna check'em out.

40 S&W would be a New cartridge for me.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

They make them in 9mm but I prefer the .40. Nothing wrong with the modern 9 mike mike.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Late to the party as usual. The 40 is dying out around here and I don't know why. It's more thump than a 9mm. I have a FNS-40 and a FNS-9. I don't need them both but in my world the 40 is a legal round for deer in a handgun and the 9 isn't. Neither of mine have safeties either! I looked at the Shield when I got the FNS-9 but since I already had one in 40 I figured it best to have them both the same.

I do like the Shield a lot. It should serve you well!

Maybe it's being replaced by the 10mm which of course is a better defensive handgun for 4 legged critters. I have several of both calibers and always carry a 10mm in the woods and the .40 to town...'cause they both begin with a "4".

I have read good things about the Shield; I hope you enjoy your new toy.

I've got a SW40G that I picked up for a flat 200 bucks about 5 or 6 years ago. It has been completely reliable. I have never had it fail to feed or extract any type of ammo I've tried to run through it. It's not a perfect solution but when I don't feel like something heavier I wear it in a chest holster with 200 grain hardcast Double Tap, which, at the range, shoots very well through it. Because I bought this, a couple of years later I bought a Kahr CW40 and, on the occasions I CC, it's the gun I carry. It's really light, thin, rides well and shoots very well (never had a failure with it either). I have considered that maybe I need me a 10mm too... just because.

Again, congrats and enjoy.

Thanks AK!

I carry the same 200gr flat nose in all my 40's and tried them in the 10mm...I like the 180 flat nose better because they seem to shoot better in my G20 and G29.

I am impressed with the reliability of the Shield. It's even reliable when my wife shoots it and she has a wimpy grip. Still like my G27 better.