Thread: Colt Match Target 22 Auto 4inch barrel

Question Colt Match Target 22 Auto 4inch barrel

So last night I was in the basement at my Mother In-laws helping her with some stuff and happened to see a dusty handgun laying on the shelf. I picked it up and said "Hey what's this?". She said "I don't know, I think it's that old bb gun". I looked at it and said "No, it's a Colt 22, a real gun". She said "Do you want it? Take it, I'm afraid of guns". "Are you sure??" I said. "Ya it's been there for years".

It had no clip so I looked a little harder and found it. I then came home a did a quick google and judging by the clip release (behind the trigger) and serial number it appears to be a 2nd generation Woodsman Match Target made in 1950. It is in excellent condition, just needs a good cleaning. The clip doesn't seem to want to stay in tightly but when you push the button it does eject it firmly. Any thoughts?

So, any of you guys have any experience with this little gem? From what little I read it's an old classic and worth around 1000 bucks depending on condition. But, that's just what I saw some selling for online. I really don't know. Doesn't matter though. It's not for sale. I think I'll clean it up and go shoot it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Sure beats the heck out of stepping in a pile of wet and steamy. I collected Colt .22 autos for years, and gave up on them when people thought they were more valuable than I did. I love it when that happens.

They are more fun to keep when you have nothing in them. They cost nothing while they stay at your house. Just feed it WINCHESTER Super X and it will be happy.

Nice find!

I bought one new in 1976, but it was stolen in 1977. Still have the box with serial # and reported it stolen, but it's never reappeared. Still pi$$ed every time I think about it.

In its short tenure, I fell in love with it. No other way to put it. The heavy barrel contributed greatly to pointing, and it was accurate as sin. The shorter barrel made it handy to pack. I would have liked a few ounces peeled off the trigger, but it wasn't any heavier than my Ruger target model. And speaking of heavy, light as the gun was to carry, it would keep up with the HS Match Target I was compeating with at the time, though it seemed to weigh half as much.

Don't know what to tell you on the mag, except I would track down another and try that before passing judgement on the gun. With nothing else to compare it with, you can't tell whether it's a mag problem or a gun problem, and it's too good a gun to mess with blindly.

Hang onto it, but shoot the heck out of it!

Default Have one

I have a Colt Woodsman Target Match and love it. Knocked a crow off one day at 50 yards with it. Fantastic shooting little gun and bascally hand made craftsmanship. It does not like the modern Thunderbolts and other ultra high ammunition. Standard rounds are great, it was made for target ammunition velocities anyways. I will always keep mine nad for $100 I could not have gone wrong.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Sure beats the heck out of stepping in a pile of wet and steamy....!
    My wife did that in the berry patch last weekend!!

Thanks guys. Ya, seems like a quality little gun. Thanks for the advice on the clip.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Yeah, beautiful little pistols, wish I had another!

I've always been drawn to the Woodsman's, but the Match guns are real interesting, and not that much more to pack.
    I'd bet that when the mag's loaded, and the rounds put pressure against the bottom of the slide, that the slop will go away. Give it a shot and see...(safety first, always)
    They ARE valuable, might consider taking her to a fancy dinner or somethin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    I've always been drawn to the Woodsman's, but the Match guns are real interesting, and not that much more to pack.
    I'd bet that when the mag's loaded, and the rounds put pressure against the bottom of the slide, that the slop will go away. Give it a shot and see...(safety first, always)
    They ARE valuable, might consider taking her to a fancy dinner or somethin'...
    Good idea with the clip there.

Hmmm, fancy dinner.... I'm thinking Ruffed or Sharptail Dinner!!