Thread: help narrowing down areas

Default help narrowing down areas

coming up in june could use some help narrowing down area's to look at. what im looking for is cheap like dirt cheap (witch im shure means looking at allot of drunken forest aka permafrost) preferably with road access (idealy some where where i could get close to with some sort of transit ie stage line) within a few minutes of the cost with good halibut and rockfish fishing, crab and spot prawns would be plus dont minde middle of no where and/or no public utilities.

I don't mean to be rude, but...good luck.

Within a few minutes of the coast, good fishing, crabbing, and shrimping pretty much means you're looking at Southeast. That you equate that with permafrost tells me that you don't know much about Alaska. Permafrost and drunken forests are common in the interior - hundreds of miles from the coast and good fishing. Maybe you could look around the Glennallen area for such land, but you'll still be a couple of hundred miles from Vadez with its good shrimping, mediocre halibut fishing, and non-existent crabbing. Many places in Southeast will give you what you want for shrimping and fishing, but the land is expensive and you won't be on the road system (and the marine highway might be dying due to budget issues).

You can have highway access, good shrimping/fishing/crabbing, or cheap land - for the most part, pick one - maaaaybe two if you're lucky.

Middle of nowhere black spruce bog, within sight of something that some people might imaginatively call a "road" during some parts of the year, with no utilities, for $5K per acre, 1 hour drive to the nearest grocery story, 5 hour drive to the nearest city with any kind of public transit or taxi service... That we can do!

Road access, public transit, minutes from the coast, great fishing/shrimping/crabbing....and dirt cheap? Not in Alaska. Not anywhere in N-America that I'm aware of. And if anyone does know of such a place, please PM me, my bag is packed.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Need more info. Are you moving up for good? Just for the summer? Just for two weeks? Do you need a job? Do you have boat, truck, ATV, airplane? Look at over the counter land.
    DENNY

What is dirt cheap land.....??? Twenty or thirty or fifty thousand dollars per acre.....???
    Part One https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cfnrock.shtml
    There is also a Part Two

State of Alaska is selling parcels on POW and Baranof. Not what I would call "dirt cheap" but at least you won't have a light bill.

No offense but if you're broke please just stay away, we got more than enough....my town already makes Appalachia look like Park Avenue....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

damb sutch positive comments lol. spent two seasons up there before k-beach and chignik. not mooving full time anytime soon probally 4yrs or so and then still split time between az&ak. not broke but have a plan and that puts allot of my extra money into 401k and investment portfolio. have a truck ill ferry up next year if i get a place and leave it. ive never been up to look at property just work and i didnt figure on finding all that i mentioned thats why i said ideally

not realy looking for anything already developed did construction for years would rather build myself just looking for the land this year

There's good cheap land around Kasilof for sure....some muskeg some not....like it up there myself. Check the MLS listings.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

kasilof added to the list i remeber that kasilof run had some big ass reds and good number of kings and i do have a weakness for hard smoked kings

Kasilof isn't far from decent fishing for salmon and halibut, but the area has no shrimp fishery, a very limited crab fishery, and no public transportation. Still, might be worth a look since the combination of features that you're looking for doesn't exist.

yea as far as seafood halibut is definitely at the top wouldnt minde some hard smoked king and kipered reds either. im not assuming theres cheap quality land everywhere but with allot of patience and looking with cash in hand its posible to get somthing good, thats how i got the place im at now a place with high property value and picked up what would be considered dirt cheap but thats also why i wanted some help narrowing down my search area not being that familiar with the country

Rains A LOT in southeast, for the most part better fishing and crabbing and shrimping than in southcentral. Hunting is subjective, what do you want to hunt and how much, southcentral gives you a launching point to the entire state, southeast not so much. Interior gives you hunting and lake/river fishing, but it also gets a little cold.

If it were me and I wanted the best of everything and money wasn't a concern and I didn't care about the rain, southeast is where I would look. Kodiak is good too. Next best bet, especially if money isn't a concern PWS, then the Kenai Peninsula.

For what you asked for, Anchor Point to Kasilof on the Kenai Peninsula will fit the bill. There are dirt cheap opportunities, it's on the road system, and you can at least access most of what you want...even if it's hours and not minutes to access it.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

yea the sound is at the top of my list i made a frind in valdez thats been hunting down here whos gona keep an eye open around there for me, i wouldnt mind kodiak or even farther on the peninsula but the logistics of geting materials and everything else out would increase cost in a way i dont realy like. hunting is one reason for building up there i want my brown bear and my dall and i dont do guided especially for that price lol

There is a balance between accessible and affordable. Often times the least expensive land is the most expensive to develop due to the cost of transporting material. I highly recommend defining exactly what you want in a piece of land, finding out what the going rate is for such land, and saving up until you can afford it. There is nothing more expensive than cheap land that you can't use.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

[QUOTE=azdesertrat;1658194 my brown bear and my dall [/QUOTE]

Do you think there is a bear and a sheep with your name stenciled on the side.....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR