Thread: Unsubstantiated Rumor on possible crab opener

Default Unsubstantiated Rumor on possible crab opener

I heard that there might be a reopening of tanner/dungenesscrab in PWS, opening all of PWS. Anyone hear anything or is this someone's pipe dream? I know that last year shrimping in Port Valdez, I boated 40+ in one pull and a 5-gallon bucket the next day. There has to be more down there. Yes I released all of them. Even the tanner that rode up and stretched across the entire top of my 36" dia. pot.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

If there is, I sure hope itís not just a winter fishery like the king crab fishery our there. Certainly no shortage of juvenile tanners in shrimp pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If there is, I sure hope itís not just a winter fishery like the king crab fishery our there. Certainly no shortage of juvenile tanners in shrimp pots.
    How interesting... a few seasons back I'd get quite a few juvenile tanners in my shrimp gear but not one for at least the last 2 seasons. Maybe I'm just getting a little better at hitting ledges and such instead of the muddy bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    How interesting... a few seasons back I'd get quite a few juvenile tanners in my shrimp gear but not one for at least the last 2 seasons. Maybe I'm just getting a little better at hitting ledges and such instead of the muddy bottom?
    Where I hit them was near muddy ground except the large one that straddled the top of the pot. He was near a rocky ledge way out by Hidden Cove.

I heard f and g was doing test fisheries out there but it had not gone well for the locations they had picked but that was a year ago. Most the crab sizes were a little small to be legal.

Guess i need to start thinking about combo shrimp/tanner pots ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Guess i need to start thinking about combo shrimp/tanner pots ?
    That sounds realistic. Since there is no size imitation on pot size, a 1/2 shrimp and 1/2 crab pot would kill two crustaceans with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I heard f and g was doing test fisheries out there but it had not gone well for the locations they had picked but that was a year ago. Most the crab sizes were a little small to be legal.
    Since there hasn't been a season since 2001 (?) I wonder how long it takes them to get big. Tanners only live about 14 years so the math isn't adding up somehow.