Thread: Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers

Default Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers

I was given 7,000 of these yesterday and told that I can't use them in my 357. I know what the warning says on the side of the box and the guy that gave them to me said under no circumstances should they be used in 357 cases. The guy doesn't know me and I'm thinking he was just trying to give me good advice from that perspective. He didn't want me making a dumb mistake. I have never used 1 1/2 primers in anything however If I'm shooting cast 158 grainers with 38 special+P load data in a 357 cases then what difference does it make? I mean 38 special loads in 357 brass still equals 38 special pressure correct....or is there some convoluting scientific phenomena that you guys ain't learnt me about yet?

Sounds like they have soft cups. Likely to pierce with .357.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/...istol-primers/

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    Sounds like they have soft cups. Likely to pierce with .357.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/...istol-primers/
    That's what I heard too, way back in the day. I got a great buy on a bunch and used them up with 38 special midrange wadcutter loads, as I recall 2.2 grains of Bullseye. Never a hitch, but I never fired them in anything else.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I was given 7,000 of these yesterday and told that I can't use them in my 357. I know what the warning says on the side of the box and the guy that gave them to me said under no circumstances should they be used in 357 cases. The guy doesn't know me and I'm thinking he was just trying to give me good advice from that perspective. He didn't want me making a dumb mistake. I have never used 1 1/2 primers in anything however If I'm shooting cast 158 grainers with 38 special+P load data in a 357 cases then what difference does it make? I mean 38 special loads in 357 brass still equals 38 special pressure correct....or is there some convoluting scientific phenomena that you guys ain't learnt me about yet?
    Pressure probably less in 357 cases because more case capacity in the bigger case.

Sounds like a matter, (not a case, but a "matter") of high pressure, so are your loads High Pressure?

I'd say, TRY them, but with only 7,000 of them, you won't wanna waste any.

Thanks for the LINK, Superx.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well I could just toss em all in a bonfire and givevthe coyotes something to howl about!! But I think Iím just going to load 38 Special loads in 357 cases! I agree on your pressure theory!

I haven't used a lot of rem 1 1/2 primers but I have used them in +p 38spl loads without issues in 38 spl cases. Pressure should be less in 357 cases.

Same guy just gave me a case of Remington 6 1/2 primers that he bought during the Obama shortage. He couldn't get anything else for his 223 so he took what he could get. I needed a reason to buy a Hornet....not much reason just a nudge. Ha! Not sure whether to go 17 Hornet or 22 Hornet this go around.

Easy enough to load a few rounds and test fire. Better than loading hundreds or thousands and then finding a problem. Sezz the guy who once loaded up 400 rounds of new Winchester 257 Roberts cases without checking them first for length and trimming as needed.... Atsa whole, whole lot of bullets to pull.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Easy enough to load a few rounds and test fire. Better than loading hundreds or thousands and then finding a problem. Sezz the guy who once loaded up 400 rounds of new Winchester 257 Roberts cases without checking them first for length and trimming as needed.... Atsa whole, whole lot of bullets to pull.
    Ha Ha , I think we've all pulled one or two of those bone head moves in regards to reloading. I can think of several very time consuming do overs. The worst one would have been a bad deal. Back when I first started loading I loaded 200 rounds of 308 ammo with a case full of IMR4198. Twas suppose to be IMR4895. Shew boy that would have been a warm un! Not until I was putting the rest of that 5 pound jug away did I realize what I had done. I was frusticated to say the least.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Most of my boo, boos, happen before the cartridges are completed. Like, putting the powder In BEFORE the Primers.

I hadda pull the bullets on a whole slue of 357 loads, one time ago. I don't remember why, but I remember beating my hammer thingy, nearly to pieces.

Now, I run most everything through a case gauge, rifle, and handgun. Cept, I don't have gauges for 38, 357, 44, and 30 30. I do got one for 45ACP.

I HIGHLY recommend those case gauges. They're really great for bottle-neck rifle cartridges, and auto pistol. It's an extra step, but you can discover things that otherwise go unnoticed.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.