Thread: Swede Lake trails CLOSED

Default Swede Lake trails CLOSED

Until further notice the Swede Lake trail system is closed to all but private land owners and the Army. BLM trail workers found a land mine on a trail last week and the Army was called in to detonate it. They are organizing and will go back in to sweep the area with more equipment to locate more if there are any. Hopefully this will be wrapped up before hunting season begins. I will post this in the ATV section also.

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/t...li_trails.html

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...630&p_docnum=1

We were down there last weekend and got a laugh at the sign. They duct taped the notice that they had found "unexploded ordinance" right next to the "Tread Lightly" part on the sign.

Thankfully at this point no one has gotten blown up.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default History?

Anyone know the history of the trail as to why land mines would be in this area? Would be interesting to know, I've lived in the area for 20 years and haven't heard anything about past military operations on this trail. Thanks for the info...

As a long time user, I'm curious too, and seriously hope this isn't another underhanded Federal attempt to close something for disingenous reasons.

Perhaps the military did some cold weather or all-terrain type testing there but it sure hasn't ever been military land. That's what the areas around Greely and Black Rapids Glacier were for.

It's no gov. ploy to close the trail, thats the anti-tank mine that was found and deonated by the Military late last week, off swede in the hungry hollow area. The operator and everyone around was very lucky.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, scary stuff. Makes you wonder what the military has been up to in Alaska all these years.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Most of the trails north and south of the Alphabet hills were built by the military back in the 60's. They wouldn't be there if not for the them. If you ever fly over and to the south of the hills you will see hundreds of miles of trails between the hills and the Glenn highway. I can leave from my back door and end up on the Denali highway in the winter with no problem following the spider web of trails. The Swede Lake area was not a live fire practice site like around Greeley and other places, but it was used. Hopefully someone just forgot to pick this one up after show and tell one day. Fingers crossed. Who knows how unstable these things are after this many years in the dirt. Real lucky a piece of equipment didn't hit it and set it off.

Strike two for the military this month. Anyone else following the agent orange issue in Tok?