Thread: Dc827

Default Dc827

Short-term lurker on the forum after moving up to AK last June, first year in the draw, pulled DC827.
    Put in thinking if I got lucky I would hike in for this hunt-- now that I actually did, weighing the options of fly-in vs hike-in.
    Has anybody done this hiking in recently?
    Or have strong opinions to suggest I should put more consideration into fly-in?
    (Cost of flights is a hesitation, but not absolute limitation)

Who, what, when, and where is dc827??

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    Who, what, when, and where is dc827??
    Caribou. Unit 20A. Central Alaska Range.

Huh. That must be a new(ish) one. I'm not the best source of information here as I'm out of Anchorage vs Fairbanks... But I think one of the first deciding factors is where are you thinking about accessing? Looks like a pretty big area and I haven't really heard of Caribou being real thick through there... My bet is they would be more along the south area of your hunt, close to the mountains. Again, could be wrong there as I haven't hunted that area. Have you put in a call to ADFG to get some thoughts on where in the hunt area would be good to find animals? You might be able to quickly narrow down your options and cost/benefit of fly-in vs hike-in.

I've scoured the previous couple threads on the hunt, which of course, has a mix of opinions on hiking and flying. Working on getting into contact with the area biologist.
    Hoping if someone has recent walk-in (or fly-in) experience they might be willing to provide thoughts on access (via email, I can provide), their experiences, perhaps the best time to go, etc.
    If I go on foot, I will be able to scout through the summer and leading up to the hunt.

Do the tag justice and fly in.

Quote Originally Posted by sklobe25 View Post
    Short-term lurker on the forum after moving up to AK last June, first year in the draw, pulled DC827.
    Put in thinking if I got lucky I would hike in for this hunt-- now that I actually did, weighing the options of fly-in vs hike-in.
    Has anybody done this hiking in recently?
    Or have strong opinions to suggest I should put more consideration into fly-in?
    (Cost of flights is a hesitation, but not absolute limitation)
    ATV up Healy Creek

Spoke to the area biologist, leaning towards fly-in.
    I've got calls into Wright, Bushwacker, and Golden Eagle to gather fly-in options, pricing info, etc.
    Any other suggestions for taxis/transporters?

I知 gonna atv up Healy Creek and set up camp. Seen some big bulls sitting in camp. This year I値l probably see nothing because I have the tag. We値l see.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    I知 gonna atv up Healy Creek and set up camp. Seen some big bulls sitting in camp. This year I値l probably see nothing because I have the tag. We値l see.
    Last time my Trooper buddies and I checked, Healy Creek is archery only. You'd better off (legally) to hunt Yanert Fork with a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sklobe25 View Post
    Spoke to the area biologist, leaning towards fly-in.
    I've got calls into Wright, Bushwacker, and Golden Eagle to gather fly-in options, pricing info, etc.
    Any other suggestions for taxis/transporters?
    Dean Creek and Dick Creek. But Dean Creek would be my pick. We killed some hellacious caribou in there while working for Lynn Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Last time my Trooper buddies and I checked, Healy Creek is archery only. You'd better off (legally) to hunt Yanert Fork with a rifle.
    Much of Healy creek isn't in the "Healy-Lignite" archery only area. And yes I have seen caribou every time I've gone up that creek.

In fact not sure when all of Healy Creek has been "acrhcery only". The majority of the creek has always always been open to rifle hunting. Just the north side of the creek from coal down to the confluence with the Nenana is archery only.

Default Coal Creek and beyond

We will be well past the archery zone.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I've had this tag before and walked in, it was a very difficult hunt and saw very few caribou. After I harvested it was very difficult to get the animal out 7+ miles. I've flown into the area sheep hunting before and saw a ton of caribou, in areas not accessible via the roadway. Healy Creek is a good option if you have an ATV. One thing I have noticed about this caribou herd, unlike most herds that I've hunted, is that they like high rougher country, opposed to typical caribou terrain. My two cents, but if you can afford to fly, go for it. There are also a number of grizzlies in area and if you go later in the season you might get one too.

After some input here (thanks!) and elsewhere, I figured out a way to do an economical-ish fly-in, so that痴 what I値l be doing.
    Hope to post success photos in....5.5 months.

I've wanted to draw DC827 for over a decade. It may be best to fly in. There are a lot of controlled use areas there where ATVs are not allowed during hunting season. I have yet to travel Healy Cr by ATV, but some day . . . In searching USGS maps and google earth there are a few landing strips in the Wood River CUA, and some near the Totat drainage. Maybe one could ATV in, get picked up and take a short puddle-jump to a ridge? Another option would be to horse train in. There's a clan from Fairbanks, the Curnow's that run a guide business (last I'd heard) where they train in from Healy to the Wood River. They may be a resource to talk with? In any event, enjoy planning and executing your hunt!

Photo should be here.
    Last edited by sklobe25; 09-11-2019 at 15:27. Reason: There's a photo...can't get it to post