Thread: Outboard Jet on Canoe?

Question Outboard Jet on Canoe?

Just curious, has anybody ever tried one of these on a canoe? I'm thinking something like a Wenonah Backwater (15' square stern)

3 Hp should equate to about the same as a 2 hp prop (?). $460 shipped (I assume only to lower 48) and 21# https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outboard-mo...4383.l4275.c10

I've heard/read that 2 hp is pretty good for a smaller square stern canoe - capable of going against a decent current. But I've also heard/read that more would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by south coast stu View Post
    I've heard/read that 2 hp is pretty good for a smaller square stern canoe - capable of going against a decent current. But I've also heard/read that more would be better?
    I'd have to believe that it would have a lot to do with what kind of load you plan on hauling. But if it were me I think I'd be willing to give that thing a try. It does seem like it's pretty cheap, so who knows about the quality?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Supporting Member

only one way to find out! im guessing that its going to be even less effecient than an OB jets conversion just because its such a small motos and that is a pretty good sized output for such a tiny jet so there will br very little pressure coming out of that thing. i had a meghi longtail mud motor and overall i way impressed by there manufacturing. But get props, and i imagine impellars was a nightmare

Supporting Member

https://youtu.be/f6NafhBm5yk
    heres one running on a raft

I've done many miles with 3.5 prop motor and with a 2hp prop but mostly on lakes and slow rivers. It may work but won't break speed records.
    I also suspect the noise level will be high.....ala weed whip.

It looks awful gutless to me, but depending on your budget and expected uses it could be just the ticket.

Skip to about 2 minutes in on this video, I drive my 15 foot Grumman Sportboat up a shallow little side channel, grinding over the gravel. It's a fun rig!

Just curious, has anybody ever tried one of these on a canoe? I'm thinking something like a Wenonah Backwater (15' square stern)

3 Hp should equate to about the same as a 2 hp prop (?). $460 shipped (I assume only to lower 48) and 21# https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outboard-mo...4383.l4275.c10

Plus $200 shipping!

It's $260 + $200 shipping = $460 total. I fairly cheap air-cooled motor made in Brazil. Yes, probably going to be noisy and not last very long...

Troy - Thanks for the vid with the raft. I think that gives a good idea of how much (little) thrust these motors have. I think 6 hp would be a minimum to have much upstream capability.

aknative1987 - Nice vid. Those old Grumman Sportboats are great! Pretty much indestructible. Can't say I'm really a fan of the mud motors. Turning/maneuvering would be too much of an adventure for me!

It's $260 + $200 shipping = $460 total. I fairly cheap air-cooled motor made in Brazil. Yes, probably going to be noisy and not last very long...

Troy - Thanks for the vid with the raft. I think that gives a good idea of how much (little) thrust these motors have. I think 6 hp would be a minimum to have much upstream capability.

aknative1987 - Nice vid. Those old Grumman Sportboats are great! Pretty much indestructible. Can't say I'm really a fan of the mud motors. Turning/maneuvering would be too much of an adventure for me!
    If you look in the old outdoor magazines from the 60s you will find advertisements for a small outboard jet (Eska powerhead, I believe). This was before they began to appear aftermarket on larger OBs. Here is another I wasn't aware of: http://vintage-boat-parts.net/rare_v...nning_look.php
    Yes, $460 isn't bad. I bet it would be cheaper if you had it shipped to someone in the L48 and then re-shipped. I might get one.

It took some getting used to, but I can turn that 15 foot boat 180 degrees in a 16 foot wide area.

Quote Originally Posted by aknative1987 View Post
    It took some getting used to, but I can turn that 15 foot boat 180 degrees in a 16 foot wide area.
    Agreed there's a little bit of a learning curve, but I put one on a 6.5 hp Honda and now I go wherever I want. Slowly.

I bought a LANCASTER PUMP CO. GUPPY jet outboard off Ebay and never ran it. It's about 2 1/2 HP and has an aircooled 2 stroke powerhead.

My thought was to use it on my Clipper MacSport but never did. It's hanging in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    If you look in the old outdoor magazines from the 60s you will find advertisements for a small outboard jet (Eska powerhead, I believe). This was before they began to appear aftermarket on larger OBs. Here is another I wasn't aware of: http://vintage-boat-parts.net/rare_v...nning_look.php
    Yes, $460 isn't bad. I bet it would be cheaper if you had it shipped to someone in the L48 and then re-shipped. I might get one.
    The one I was talking about: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/350366045980714123/
    http://dan-collins.blogspot.com/2011...-outboard.html

Default something for the TC16 inflatable canoe

I'm also interested in this tiny jet outboard to run on my Sea Eagle inflatable canoe. Doesn't look too promising in terms of being bulletproof, though.

Need something to throw in the back of the Skywagon and then hump 1/2 mile down to the river without breaking my back. The Kaboat looks awesome, but to carry that and its outboard twice daily would be rough.

Don't much like leaving inflatable boats riverside for the bears to sharpen their teeth on...

https://www.seaeagle.com/TravelCanoe/TC16