Thread: Wolf hunting

Default Wolf hunting

If someone happened to come across a dying moose that seemed to be hit by a vehicle when would be the best time to sit and wait for wolves?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Not legal, unless all edible meat has first been removed, under the direction of the state troopers...see page 17 of the hunting regs for more detail.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I called them and they said let nature take it's course since it's a mile into the woods

Like cdubbin said, I would call the troopers back and be very clear with them about your intentions first. I'm not aware of any specific regulation for or against it, but I'd be cautious if I were you. I think it is borderline ethical and illegal. But, assuming it is legal, I would think wolves would be hesitant to approach it unless it is very remote. Coyotes and foxes would more likely to come and visit. But assuming that it is in a very remote location and let's say wolves did approach it, I would think sitting downwind about 200 yards away at night in moonlight or with a spotlight would be your best bet. I doubt wolves would come approach a road-killed moose in the broad daylight, but what do I know. I've only killed a few myself.

Thanks for the tips bushwhack.

I'll double check before heading out. Friend went back today and moose was dead with no sign of critters yet

Both the hunting and trapping regs are quite explicit on this:
    If road killed or any other human-caused mortality, the edible meat may not be used as bait. If you know for a fact that the moose died of non-human related causes, you may use it for bait, but not move it from the site.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

A moose that died from non human causes CAN be moved and used as bait with a permit from fish and game.

Dont get rules and regs from the internet experts, talk to fish and game in person.

Quote Originally Posted by nooksack View Post
    A moose that died from non human causes CAN be moved and used as bait with a permit from fish and game.

Dont get rules and regs from the internet experts, talk to fish and game in person.
    And make SURE you get the first and last name of who you talked to and anything else you can do to cover your azz
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I think there is a difference between actively using meat from road kill as bait and tracking an animal that died from wounds from a collision. I don't see how what was described could be misconstrued as using road kill meat as bait.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman