Thread: 1986 Argo question:

Default 1986 Argo question:

I just traded for this Argo, it has the Kohler 18 hp Magnum engine, once I got it running (carburetor plugged up) I notice sometimes during turning I can feel, what seems like, the chain slapping the floor. I pulled the front floor board and the chains do have some slop. I found an online manual and it says to inspect the track tension to remove the chains and carriage and put them on a bench.....Anyone have any experience inspecting the chains while they are still on the rig? This is my first Argo.

I am somewhat familar with one that is older, and a newer one. They made some changes in regards to the chains and chain tensioners, i assume that one has all double row chains? The chains can wear through the tensoner pads, bottom line is chain slap when turning can be normal. Are you running tracks?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

No tracks, I did notice the small chain coming from the front axle is tighter on the left side than the right. I'll try to load some pics to see if that helps.

Attachment 97297

some of the pads look like they were replaced, but then there is one that looks a little crooked.

Attachment 97304

changed out the fluid in the Transmission, it was low and not on the dipstick, it was a grey color, at least through the plastic tube I was sucking it out in. I did notice, when driving in high or low range, it makes a whurrr noise, I'm thinking that is not normal??? but hoping it is! Everything seems to work ok, other than the chain slap on the floor board sometimes on turns. I looked over the ware pads on the chains and they seemed ok, but one of the tensioners looks a little bent, I'll see if I can straighten it out some later on. The reason I picked this thing up is, to get to my property, I have to go through about 75 yards of swamp.

Did you check the sprocket set screws ? To make sure it did not slide over ? Could be why your chain is crooked
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Also go over to http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-atvs/ lots of great info there
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I did go there, waiting for approval to post. Been searching, but haven't found anything relevant yet.

Thanks.

I will, have to wait till I get time to pull the battery and firewall to see it.

OK, all double row chains with the old style adjusters, yeah they get bent and wear, replace them if they look like they are worn beyond normal. I cant see well enough in the pics, Seems like there is a bolt or two to adjust the tranny up and down to tension the main drive chains. Thats is not a great design and new ones are better... 28K better, sure why not... make sure and keep the chains oiled every now and then. Also new tranny fluid is a good thing. They are cool machines and will do/go where other machines wont... They can be a bit of a maintenance thing and require some time to sort out if they have been neglected. Chain slap on turns is normal.... If you are replacing tires get Argo tires, dont be tempted to try any ATV tire.

Have fun...!
    TR

Thanks, I feel better about it now. Is the whurrr sound something to be concerned about or is it just the chain on gear noise? I only hear it when I'm moving....

I dunno .... hard to compare your whurr sound to the whirr sound I know..... LOL... they are noisy, gears, chains, lotsa stuff whirling around...... probably ok, squeals, howls, smoke could be a cause for concern... or the neighbors cat... you get use to it, I usually wear ear muffs.
    TR

Finally got around to pulling the fire wall and the adjustment for the drive chains was low on the right side, so I loosened the bolts and adjusted it up and when I went to loosen the bolt on the left side, I found the hole is stripped out, looks like I have enough room to drill and tap the hole, but there isnt a lot of room on the slot that is mounted to the transmission......then I noticed the left brake caliper is leaking on one side, which I thought no problem, just take it off and re seal it, but then I saw you have to take the brake rotor off to get the caliper off, anyone done this? Will it have to be pulled off or do they just bolt on? I do have a manual and will look it up, just looking for some advice from someone who had done it before.

Thanks, I guess it wasn't a crooked chain, just the tensioner is bent a little.

Update: turns out the whrrr noise I mentioned is only in Low range, I had high and low range mixed up, no noise in high. In high range it is kind of boggy on sharp turns.....slows down quit a bit, I'm also thinking the new carb isn't working right, it smalls gassy and the low idle doesn't seem right.