Thread: Multiple lynx misses, please help with advice.

Default Multiple lynx misses, please help with advice.

Hey yíall,
    This has been my first season trapping, (well trying) and I seem to have set up in some decent spots. Iíve had my snares out now 2 months and have had MULTIPLE cats come through and I miss them all. I set them approximately 1 foot up, depending on snow levels. So far Iíve had cats go under them, indicated by their tracks and the snare is still loaded. Iíve tried guide sticks and the same result. So I lower the snare and they just hop right over it.
    What says the trapping community? In all honesty I think Iíve missed at each location totally close to a dozen times total.

Thank you you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingFreitag View Post
    Hey yíall,
    This has been my first season trapping, (well trying) and I seem to have set up in some decent spots. Iíve had my snares out now 2 months and have had MULTIPLE cats come through and I miss them all. I set them approximately 1 foot up, depending on snow levels. So far Iíve had cats go under them, indicated by their tracks and the snare is still loaded. Iíve tried guide sticks and the same result. So I lower the snare and they just hop right over it.
    What says the trapping community? In all honesty I think Iíve missed at each location totally close to a dozen times total.

Thank you you in advance.
    I usually set the top of my lynx snares right at about knee level, maybe a hair higher. Then I make a big V with my guide sticks to force them to place their neck directly in line with the snare. I've never had the problem you are describing although last year for some reason I caught a lot of rabbits in my lynx snares. This year I haven't caught 1 rabbit in my lynx snares. It boggles my mind that a rabbit can jump high enough to get caught in a lynx snare but I know it happens. This year I tried setting most of my lynx cubbies directly underneath a big white spruce tree to prevent them from being buried in snow. Not sure if that has something to do with not catching rabbits, but so far it seems to be working.

Maybe take a picture of a couple of your sets and post them. Then maybe the other trappers online can see what your doing?

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C8F04AF-C4CA-4544-9193-92D433E42D23.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	97295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	718D0AF3-02E6-442C-BFFB-EBD2268FEED6.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	97296Before and after.

Not fenced in enough if you ask me. They can just walk around your snare to get in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Not fenced in enough if you ask me. They can just walk around your snare to get in the pen.
    Appreciate that. I had actually added more brush to that one after this miss. But my other spot had a cat go under 2 snares. Is it possible that it was just a kitten?

It boggles my mind that a rabbit can jump high enough to get caught in a lynx snare but I know it happens.
    Rabbits are crazy jumpers, I've come across a few in underground vaults and the will jump as high as the ceiling (6-8 feet) with no problem...they don't have those big back legs for no reason!
    ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Appreciate that. I had actually added more brush to that one after this miss. But my other spot had a cat go under 2 snares. Is it possible that it was just a kitten?
    Yes, definitely possible.

The snare is too open maybe? Around 8 inches is perfect for me

Too me it looks a little too low also. Hard to tell from the picture but I like the top of mine about knew high. And I prefer to have my cubbies more concealed under spruce trees to prevent them from getting buried.

Cats have no aversion to blocking/guide sticks, etc. Kick or stomp a trail in the snow to guide them and then block it with branches. Leave only the space for your snare open with roughly an 8" loop. Sounds like you are missing them because you are giving them options as to where they can pass through. Good luck.

Too me it looks a little too low also. Hard to tell from the picture but I like the top of mine about knew high. And I prefer to have my cubbies more concealed under spruce trees to prevent them from getting buried.
    I meant to say knee high, not knew high. And I agree with Nooksack, don't give them any options.

use a chin lifter get their heads up into the snare they are sniffing around with eyes on the bait down low in front of them so their heads are down get that head up. The other option and one I like better to avoid loosing that lynx to cannibals use a foothold in place of that snare if you have them
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

It looks like you have the bait laying on the ground. Hang it up so it's at eye level to a link.
    You want that cat with it's head up when it hits the snare.

Wanted to update. Thanks everyone for the advice. This one made it passed my snares, but couldnít get away from the #5 that I set.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A028DF43-6713-45A5-B27C-3D3F6BB9A80B.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	97348

That is great. So glad the trappers here could help and you were successful.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Nice looking cat. What did it weigh? I'll guess 23 lbs.

Hey thanks a lot guys. Not the biggest cat but our first, and after months of trial and error so we think the world of it and couldn't be happier. Spoke with an older trapper buddy who pointed out that its got all white toes which makes it a little unique. Either way, first season was fun, got some trail cam pics, lots of hiking, met a few new good folks and to top if off pick up a pretty cat that will soon be a full mount.
    Thank yall again.

Good Job glad everyone here could help. I remember my first one 38 yrs ago like it was yesterday I bet 40 yrs from now you'll remember yours too
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it