Thread: Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die 480 Ruger??

Default Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die 480 Ruger??

In another thread some members said they have/use this die. I can not find where Lee makes such a die. I can find on their site where they will make the regular factory crimp die, but no mention of a carbide one. Have I not found the right place yet to get a carbide die or is there some confusion?

For those with the regular factory crimp die for the 480 Ruger: Lee says to send in an empty case (no powder or primer) with a seated bullet so they can make the die. Is this the route you took to get one of these dies?

Thank you.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    In another thread some members said they have/use this die. I can not find where Lee makes such a die. I can find on their site where they will make the regular factory crimp die, but no mention of a carbide one. Have I not found the right place yet to get a carbide die or is there some confusion?

For those with the regular factory crimp die for the 480 Ruger: Lee says to send in an empty case (no powder or primer) with a seated bullet so they can make the die. Is this the route you took to get one of these dies?

Thank you.
    https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/

I see Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Dies listed, but not for 480 or 500. There is 454, but not in a set.

I dunno why they wouldn't make them for 480 or 500 . Were I you, I'd quiry them about it.

The Deluxe 4 die sets include the FC die. That's what I have for 357, 44 mag, and 45 ACP . I didn't know they were Carbide. It looks like they are all carbide, at least, now.

They do Roll Crimp. Cept the 45 ACP does a Taper Crimp. Lee also makes a Collet style FC die for rifles. That makes 3 types of FC dies. IIRC, they make another one .

Clazy mon.

Give them a holler. I've contacted Lee before, ordered from the website, always got a good reception.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It may have been me who chimed in because I have many Lee Factory Crimp Dies. However, I just ran out to my shop to double check and the crimp die I use for my .480 Ruger is a 'Redding 86380 Profile Crimp Series C .480 Ruger/.475 Linebaugh' die. Sorry if I added to the confusion. The Redding die works very well for me. I may have run into the same problem you are having when I set up for the .480 Ruger, just can't remember.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Thanks guys.

I have sent a 375 Ruger casing in to Lee to have them custom make me a crimp die. It was pretty fast and works great. I own several of their factory crimp dies and highly recommend giving them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I have sent a 375 Ruger casing in to Lee to have them custom make me a crimp die. It was pretty fast and works great. I own several of their factory crimp dies and highly recommend giving them a try.
    I wonder why they want a case to make a Crimp Die, cept maybe they don't have one.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I can only speculate I guess if it isn't one of their normally stocked items they want to make sure they have the correct length, etc. I know that there are all sorts of wildcat cartridges out there and they can make a crimp for any combo. This was quite a few years ago and the 375 Ruger was fairly new, they may have a stock crimp today. I could also be a matter of how popular one is before they stock them.

I use the Lee Case Length Gauge/Holder for trimming cases and have had to send several cases to them before receiving the gauge. I think the last one I sent them was .22/250AI.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I can only speculate I guess if it isn't one of their normally stocked items they want to make sure they have the correct length, etc. I know that there are all sorts of wildcat cartridges out there and they can make a crimp for any combo. This was quite a few years ago and the 375 Ruger was fairly new, they may have a stock crimp today. I could also be a matter of how popular one is before they stock them.
    I see.
    Probably just using the same procedure they'd do, if for a Wildcat.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I use the heavy crimp die that came with my Hornady die set. Works wonderfully. No bullet creep.

How close is it to the 475 Limbaugh? Maybe that die will work for the 480 Ruger too? Assuming Lee sells a 475 Limbaugh crimp die.

Just to wind this thread up: I didn't find what I wanted on Lee's site that I wanted to jump through the hoops to get. I poked around Midway's site and found "close enough" for me. I got a "Lee Collet-Style Crimp Die" for the 480 Ruger and 500 S&W. The Carbide would have been nice but I can live without it (both revolvers have a built in round checker) and the Lee dies make it easier for me to seat and crimp in 2 steps.

Following up on Kobuk's advice I also found 375 Ruger and 32 WS Factory Crimp Dies in case I ever have the need to crimp those rounds.

Thanks for the help.