Thread: Salmon sharks?

Default Salmon sharks?

What’s the skinny on salmon sharks? Do people eat them? Fun to catch I’d imagine. I used to catch threshers and smaller makos out of San Diego, great fun in a kayak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We targeted them one time during the pink runs in PWS. Out behind HItchenbrook, anchored, bucket of bloody water dripping, flicking pieces of carcasses out the back. Hooked up with a large one, crazy fight, broke off finally. I’ve ate it, not a huge fan, but not bad.

Great fun to catch. The problem with the meat is, if you don't like it a whole lot, you still have a whole lot of meat to eat. It runs against everything I stand for in hunting and fishing to kill one then pile it into a dumpster that day or a year later, so we just don't kill them. We don't hunt for them, but if they get as far as the side of the boat after a fight, the leader gets cut. Glory pics are just as good with them swimming beside the boat as hanging on a dock waiting their trip to the landfill.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

They are very edible, but like the makos I used to catch, bleed and gut and put on ice ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Great fun to catch. The problem with the meat is, if you don't like it a whole lot, you still have a whole lot of meat to eat. It runs against everything I stand for in hunting and fishing to kill one then pile it into a dumpster that day or a year later, so we just don't kill them. We don't hunt for them, but if they get as far as the side of the boat after a fight, the leader gets cut. Glory pics are just as good with them swimming beside the boat as hanging on a dock waiting their trip to the landfill.
    Most of the threshers I used to catch we’re released. They taste pretty good, just not a fan of killing them if I could avoid it. I’d like to try salmon shark though. What’s it taste similar to?

Reminds me of swordfish, to the point that I sometimes wonder about all the "swordfish" in the markets.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

They taste just like chicken.... Great fight, but have plans for the abundance of meat if you keep it.

In Valdez there was a couple of charters that targeted them for a couple of years. I don't think anyone targets them anymore and I have not seen one at the cleaning tables in years. I wouldn't mind tasting some. As always, the recipe used can be the deciding factor on the editability.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Reminds me of swordfish, to the point that I sometimes wonder about all the "swordfish" in the markets.
    Now that’s funny right there. Most flatlanders in this part of the world don’t know seafood from seaweed. It is whatever it says it is on the package and they eat it and like it. I think they might be surprised at what they are really eating! Especially breaded fish patties......one step from dog food some of it. It’s kinda funny how a grocery store in Ioway can have two different brands of halibut and one costs twice as much as the other! Cutting the ears off a mule don’t make it a horse and writing “Halibut” on a Mississippi River carp don’t make it good table fair!

Air Charter / Transporter

Salmon sharks are a lot of fun to catch. I've had the opportunity to catch them in PWS, Homer, as well as Kodiak. As for taste, I agree they are more like swordfish, as a good description. Our favorite way to cook them is to marinate them in Yoshidas sauce and then grill them, very good that way. One shark will feed a few families, a lot of meat, and not something most eat on a regular basis like halibut or salmon.

As far as catching them......there are some areas that they frequent. When I was a kid growing up in Valdez there was a bay nearby that at 10 minutes before high slack they would surface and go into a frenzie for about 15 to 20 minutes and then slip back into the abyss. The catching was great there. Find those type of areas and you'll have an amazing time. They will ruin cheap reels!!!
    Adak Caribou Hunts
    dave@svahunts.com
    1(907)399-1775
    http://www.adakcaribouhunts.com/

I helped eat a 600 lb thresher caught off the Oregon coast. The meat was mild and tender almost like a beef steak, meaty, but more of a chicken flavor with very slight seafood flavor. I’d take thresher over halibut most every time.

I have also eaten some mako and it was denser and drier than the thresher, with more of a seafood flavor. Still delicious, but I wouldn’t prefer it over halibut.

I would speculate the salmon shark would eat more like a mako, but never had it, so pure speculation.

The meat has the texture of Manatee but the flavor reminds me of Condor or Eagle.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The meat has the texture of Manatee but the flavor reminds me of Condor or Eagle.

I’ve eaten salmon shark; once. It wasn’t special. Especially considering the alternatives of halibut, rockfish and salmon.

My captain refused to try it saying he would never eat anything that “pissed through it’s skin”.

I ate sand shark many years ago. I was NOT impressed.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Been reading and lurking on this site , then I find this

I've only had it once, and spot on the texture reminds me of swordfish. Personally I like fish that has a bit of texture to it, so shark, swordfish, halibut are some of my favorites.

I've never targeted salmon sharks and don't know that I'd want 100's of pounds of shark meat even though I really enjoy it. As apex predators, they have quite high mercury content so not something you should make a major part of your diet.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Is there any special care needed when processing shark meat since they do pee out of their skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Is there any special care needed when processing shark meat since they do pee out of their skin?

Gill and bleed immediately, then gut and pack full of ice, the sooner you butcher the better.
    Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Gill and bleed immediately, then gut and pack full of ice, the sooner you butcher the better.
    Does it keep in the freezer for any length of time?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!