Thread: Bait Casting advice

Default Bait Casting advice

First trip to Alaska and looking into buying new Casting rod and reel. Can I get some advice on what I should be looking at.

Thanks

Most of us use 8'6" casting rods with trigger-type reel seats. Most manufacturers categorize them as "salmon/steelhead" casting rods. The action you'll need depends on the size of the water you'll fish as well as the species. I prefer medium rods for silvers and similar sized fish. In Loomis that equals a #4 action, or a 1024, which designates 102" and #4 action. Manufacturer codes vary.

Reels? It's hard to go wrong with an Abu. I also like Quantum's Cabo reels and several Shimano models. I look for easily adjustable reel tension and I personally prefer thumb button releases to thumb bar releases. The reel tension adjustment is important to adjust the reel speed to the lure weight and wind when your casting out line. The spool accelerates when you cast and the wind slows the line. If the spool goes faster than your line??? After a few rat's nests on the spool you'll get the picture. I don't care for thumb bars because I still like to thumb the spool while casting out line and fighting a fish. The thumb bar gets in my way. Some guys like them, though. Most casting gear is designed for bass fishing. Make sure you get a reel that has adequate line capacity and enough drag to play with the species you're going after.

It may be your best bet to wait and buy your new gear here. We have lots of stores that carry the right rods and reels for fishing around here.

Thanks Mr. Pid,

Do you think I would be better off going with spining gear over casting?

If you anticipate tossing light lures? Yes. If you're drifting bait? No.

I love baitcasters, but if I'm out tossing a Vibrax I'm happier with a spinning reel. Fixing fouled spools on your baitcaster while your buddy's catching fish is frustrating.

There is definitely a learning curve to using a baitcaster well. If you enjoy that challenge, take it. It's like my wife and her fly rod. She doesn't need to be catching fish to have fun. She enjoys the casting. If the only goal is to spend the maximum amount of time with a lure in the water? A spinning rig will suit most people better. Especially on gusty days or when the brush is at your back and limits your casting stroke. Those factors make baitcasting difficult even for the experts.

Suggestions on these

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat20166

Would like to spend around $100

The gold standard of Alaskan baitcasters.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...331&hasJS=true

Another thing. I'm right handed. To me that means I want to hold the rod in my right hand. I only use left hand retrieve baitcasters.

Default Rod, Reel, & Line

I don't think you can go wrong with the Garcia 6500. Waiting to buy your rod and reel up here is a good idea, as it saves the hassle of hand carrying the rod through airports. However, if you're not experienced with using a baitcaster you may wanna' buy one now and practice a lot to hone your skills and prevent those backlashes. Every backlash creates weak spots in your line. Lastly almost as importantly to me is your line. Lines over 30 lbs seem to have more memory which impedes skillful casting. I prefer Magnathin in 30 lbs. It's an oval line, but has the diameter of 17 lb and reduced stretch. You can virtually override the Garcia's drag by torqueing the Star Drag tight and still not break 30 lb. test. Good Luck.

What weight would you recommend.

Also, the Classic C3, and Garcia 6500 are those trolling reels? I only ask because that is how Cabelas list them

Thumbs up

I second Mr. Pid's thoughts. I use the Abu 6501C3 (usually around $65) and have had absolutely no problems with it. It is paired up with a Medium/Heavy action Lamiglass rod and 35# kevlar line for kings and I then switch to a Medium/Light action with 14# mono for silvers. The left handed reel (Ambassadeur "XX01" models) is the only way to go unless you like changing hands every time you cast or cast with your left hand. Like Pid said, casting really light lures is the downfall of the baitcaster. I use #3 Vibrax for silvers and they cast without any problem. If I go to a #2 or smaller, it starts getting tricky.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have to agree with what's already been stated. Fred Meyers has the 6500 C4 on sale for $75 right now and that imo is the best choice for salmon all around. I do however use a 5600 C4 for reds and silvers. It doesn't hold quite as much line but it is a little lighter for a day spent casting.

Pid is right about the fact that they do take some practice to get used to and it can be frustrating to learn how to set it up at first. Best I can suggest if you get one is to read the directions and take note that there are basically 2 drags. One for fighting fish and the other for casting. Don't try to strong arm the rod and cast a mile. Set it a little tight and practice a bit backing off the casting drag about an 1/8 turn at a time until you ratnest it and then snug it back up. I prefer a baitcaster on everything but my flyrods and the ultralights. Hope that helps if you go that route.

Default Abu Garcia 6500 Baitcasting Reels

I have two of em on 8'6" Ugly Sticks. Use em mainly for trolling for Silvers in PWS. Although I did use em in Main Bay on Reds and did real well. Baitcasting reels do take some getting used to to avoid the dreaded "eagles nest".

This setup is plenty strong to handle all species of salmon.

AH

Default Abu Garcia 6500 Baitcasting Reels

I have two of em on 8'6" Ugly Sticks. Use em mainly for trolling for Silvers in PWS. Although I did use em in Main Bay on Reds and did real well. Baitcasting reels do take some getting used to to avoid the dreaded "eagles nest".

This setup is plenty strong to handle all species of salmon.

AH