Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 192

Thread: Trouble on louise

  1. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Makie View Post
    I am not happy to see Wild Alaska become over run by the Fishing Tournaments that have come to Alaska from other states, very said to see our last Frontier disappear.

    Go away
    Are you new to Alaska? Tournaments began before statehood. The Valdez Silver Salmon Derby started in 1952. The Homer Halibut Derby started in 1986. Uncle Ted started the Kenai River Classic twenty five years ago. Whittier, Seward have tournaments as well. Lots of them in AK and in the winter time too (Trustworthy Hardware Kenai Pen Derby, Homer Winter King Derby, etc.).

    Don't think theyíre going away anytime soon...

  2. #82
    Super Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Are you new to Alaska? Tournaments began before statehood. The Valdez Silver Salmon Derby started in 1952. The Homer Halibut Derby started in 1986. Uncle Ted started the Kenai River Classic twenty five years ago. Whittier, Seward have tournaments as well. Lots of them in AK and in the winter time too (Trustworthy Hardware Kenai Pen Derby, Homer Winter King Derby, etc.).

    Don't think theyíre going away anytime soon...
    And the famous Chitna Ice Derby at Silver Lake!!!

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  3. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    And the famous Chitna Ice Derby at Silver Lake!!!
    All if not the most of the derbies derbies you listed are for salmon
    they grow and replace fast, a large lake trout may take 20 to 30 years to grow, big difference

  4. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    469

    Default

    There has been over 4,000 views and over 80 replies, please if you support or or want to voice your concerns in this issue please call the point lodge at 907-822-5566 Ken Hobbs is the person you would need to talk to. I talked with him about my concerns and that I could not support it and he sent me a thumbs up.

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Mark Somerville needs to retire. He has been the thorn that has kept Louise from getting any kind of proper management. He tryís to tell everyone that fishing preassure has not increased that the lake trout population is well above the sustainable yield goals and that the tournament will not impact the lake what so ever. He has no data whatsoever to back his claims. He told John at the lodge that he is getting his numbers from iceshack registration and surveys sent out in the mail. I for one have never received any kind of survey and there are maybe 2 dozen shacks registered on Louise. Nothing good will happen to Louise until he is out of the picture.
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-11-2019 at 11:45. Reason: Negative personal comment

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    Mark Somerville needs to retire. He has been the thorn that has kept Louise from getting any kind of proper management. He tryís to tell everyone that fishing preassure has not increased that the lake trout population is well above the sustainable yield goals and that the tournament will not impact the lake what so ever. He has no data whatsoever to back his claims. He told John at the lodge that he is getting his numbers from iceshack registration and surveys sent out in the mail. I for one have never received any kind of survey and there are maybe 2 dozen shacks registered on Louise. Nothing good will happen to Louise until he is out of the picture.
    yep how true, that was the story when I talked to him about fishing on the lakes, everything was just perfect, he has no history of fishing on the lakes
    he did explain though how low priority lake trout were and the fishery up there. This has very little with a one time event it has everything to do with the long term sustainability of the fishery, and whey the increase is happening. Jeremiah is on the board of directors of Alaska healing hearts, and they are partnering with the point lodge, it does not take a lot to see what we are headed for.


    Jeremiahís relationship with Alaska's Healing Hearts began in 2012 when a mutual vision of giving back to the community and veterans was shared during Jeremiahís own Annual Hardwater Warriorís Ice Fishing Derby; one of the largest ice fishing tournaments in the state of Alaska .
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-11-2019 at 11:45.

  7. #87
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    The conservation concern is just a convenient scapegoat to curry favor toward their viewpoint.
    I'd expect no other response from a fishing guide. Please explain how this event will "help the conservation of the resource". What that statement means to me is that increased fishing pressure coupled with increased (mis)handling of fish out of water will "help the conservation of the resource".
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  8. #88
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,722

    Default

    I have edited one of the above posts. We do not allow negative comments about individuals. The line is somewhat different for public figures directly involved in management, as management decisions/priorities are certainly fair game for discussion. That said, please keep such comments focused on the issue at hand and not on the perceived integrity or motives of the individuals.

  9. #89
    Super Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    There has been over 4,000 views and over 80 replies, please if you support or or want to voice your concerns in this issue please call the point lodge at 907-822-5566 Ken Hobbs is the person you would need to talk to. I talked with him about my concerns and that I could not support it and he sent me a thumbs up.
    Forum Moderators quite frequently check posts that can be contentious to ensure all comments are appropriate and follow forum rules. To that end I have probably checked this 50-60 times so far and other mods too.

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Sorry about that I defiantly should have worded my opinion differently.

  11. #91
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    In most mandatory C&R fisheries in Alaska, the fish to be released isn't even allowed to be removed from the water. So how can it be brushed off that these fish will not be harmed as they are be removed from the water, placed on a flat board, and photographed in a specific way so to show evidence of the fishes length. This is not a "convenient scapegoat" as ignorantly stated above, this is a genuine conservation concern, at least from my perspective.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  12. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    In most mandatory C&R fisheries in Alaska, the fish to be released isn't even allowed to be removed from the water. So how can it be brushed off that these fish will not be harmed as they are be removed from the water, placed on a flat board, and photographed in a specific way so to show evidence of the fishes length. This is not a "convenient scapegoat" as ignorantly stated above, this is a genuine conservation concern, at least from my perspective.
    You are just speculating the above will happen. Do you have any evidence of cold water releases of lake trout being held out of the water for say 1 minute and their mortality rate??
    All the research I find on winter/cold water releases of lake trout to have near zero mortality, but maybe you have other research to prove otherwise.

    I caught a tagged rainbow over the weekend, called it in to the area biologist. That fish was caught the prior year during the spawn as it was running milt at the time being caught. It was measured on a "flat board", photographed, removed from the water much longer than most fish that get "photographed" by average anglers.
    Point is "most" of these fish will live, maybe all. A heck of a lot more than a weekend up there when these people would be out fishing on their own and harvesting their allowable limit by Fish and Game.
    Is conservation an issue? Maybe, on a very small scale in reference to the other reasons Willfish brought up for the public outcry of the event.

  13. #93
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehawk View Post
    You are just speculating the above will happen. Do you have any evidence of cold water releases of lake trout being held out of the water for say 1 minute and their mortality rate??
    All the research I find on winter/cold water releases of lake trout to have near zero mortality, but maybe you have other research to prove otherwise.

    I caught a tagged rainbow over the weekend, called it in to the area biologist. That fish was caught the prior year during the spawn as it was running milt at the time being caught. It was measured on a "flat board", photographed, removed from the water much longer than most fish that get "photographed" by average anglers.
    Point is "most" of these fish will live, maybe all. A heck of a lot more than a weekend up there when these people would be out fishing on their own and harvesting their allowable limit by Fish and Game.
    Is conservation an issue? Maybe, on a very small scale in reference to the other reasons Willfish brought up for the public outcry of the event.
    You forgot to mention or perhaps were unaware that while that fish was being tagged, measured and photographed, an ADF&G tech was irrigating its gills with water, so it could breath.

    What I've read in Lake Trout C&R research suggests at least a 15% mortality rate. Longer exposure (time out of water) and warmer water surface temps increase this rate dramatically. Call that small scale if you'd like. To me if there is a maybe, then there should be concern.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  14. #94
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,215

    Default

    How about if winter really decides to come and you have people having those fish out of the water for a minute (letís be honest thatís pretty fast) in 0 degree weather and they start freezing up. How does that affect cnr mortality.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  15. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    78

    Default

    [QUOTE=kwackkillncrew;1656952]How about if winter really decides to come and you have people having those fish out of the water for a minute (letís be honest thatís pretty fast) in 0 degree weather and they start freezing up. How does that affect cnr mortality.


    Unfortunately a lot of fisherman do not know how to handle and properly release fish or hold them. Look at all the idiots on youtube. Those fish over 20 lbs are over 50 years old. Its simply to make money for the lodge and the "resident guide" guide. Glad I fished it for 10 years up until now. Big Lake char fishery is crap now ever since a new sporting goods company came to Anchorage in 2006. Only took 2 years to kill off all the 26-28" char we would catch and release , several every weekend. In March/April eyes can freeze over if very cold and laying trout on rough ice isnt good for fish either.

  16. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    136

    Default

    If you want to see some videos of how not to CR lakers go to the chasing tails website and watch for yourself. That is the guide service that is based out of the point lodge. Also take notice of his pics and the trebal hooks he uses to catch whitefish with.

  17. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    469

    Default

    The non profit that is involved with this fishing event received two grants, 100,000.00 to purchase a lodge plus 80,000.00 more for equipment and improvements, they purchased Mormon island on Lake Louise with the listed grant. i believe this is not going to be a one time event the fishing pressure on these lakes are only going to increase in my opinion to a unsubstanable level.

    response from the State Of Alaska



    The grant was closed in 2016. According to the notes the property purchased was ďMormon Island.Ē This is from the grants database--I do not have the complete paper file here in Juneau, but if you need further information I can obtain it. You can contact me directly by replying to this email or call 907-465-5541.

    Best regards,

    Robert Pearson
    Community Aid manager

  18. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    136

    Default

    There is no such thing as zero mortality catch and release, there are just to many variables to say that every single fish lives. Lake trout in my opinion probably have the highest rate of mortality of any fish. Large lakers stress extremely easily especially when brought up from deep water that is colder than the surface water. Even when properly handled there is still a pretty good chance that fish wonít make it, Ive seen it with my own eyes. I would say that a more conservative percentage of CR mortality for lakers would be in the 20-30% range in good conditions with proper handling. Now you factor in fish being brought up from depth, water temp, air temp with wind chill, time out of the water, handling the fish, wether or not it was dropped in the snow, and length of time the fish is allowed to recover in the water before the release, that percentage will jump drastically. My preferred method for releasing lakers is as follows. Get the fish to the hole as fast as possible, carefully hold the fish under the gill plate being very carefully not to nick a gill ( lakers bleed very easily and can bleed out in seconds a released bleeding laker will not survive). I keep the fish in the hole while I remove the barbless hook. Once the hook is out I pull the fish out of the water turn it around and place it back in the hole and hold it completely under water until it completely recovers and swims off strong. I take no photos and the fish Never touches the snow and ice. Even with this system it is still impossible not to loose fish, like I said to many variables to account for. If you fish for any length of time you will inevitably kill fish itís just the nature of the game.

  19. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    The non profit that is involved with this fishing event received two grants, 100,000.00 to purchase a lodge plus 80,000.00 more for equipment and improvements, they purchased Mormon island on Lake Louise with the listed grant. i believe this is not going to be a one time event the fishing pressure on these lakes are only going to increase in my opinion to a unsubstanable level.

    response from the State Of Alaska



    The grant was closed in 2016. According to the notes the property purchased was ďMormon Island.Ē This is from the grants database--I do not have the complete paper file here in Juneau, but if you need further information I can obtain it. You can contact me directly by replying to this email or call 907-465-5541.

    Best regards,

    Robert Pearson
    Community Aid manager

    I should uld have added that Mormon island is set up for a large number of people to stay,

  20. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    There has been over 4,000 views and over 80 replies, please if you support or or want to voice your concerns in this issue please call the point lodge at 907-822-5566 Ken Hobbs is the person you would need to talk to. I talked with him about my concerns and that I could not support it and he sent me a thumbs up.
    The only way to stop this event from growing is to call the Point Lodge and let them know your concerns and that having this is not going to be a positive thing for thier customer base, nothing will change anybody that wants to go fishing up at the lakes can just no organized events, we just do not need it on a lake with a frail wild stock fishery.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •