Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Trouble on louise

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Not that I am for or against at all. One I was not planning on fishing this one and two I would not be worried about this hurting this fishery. I would of liked to see how many people were actually going to fish this. My opinion is this would of not have drawn a huge crowd and it would most likely of been people that typically fish the lake anyways. Also being catch and release the rules they had in place the mortality rate would of been low. If we are so scared of this fishery being hurt then there needs to be some changes to the regs. Barb less, no trailer hooks, no bait, catch and release only, one line no matter what species fished for ext..... Not trying to be the black sheep here, just my thoughts.
    I'm with you Tyin, We pay F&G to be the experts, we should let them be the experts and manage the F&G they are paid to manage.

I'm sure there are lots of people that wouldn't be against the derby. The reason they don't speak up here is because of posts just like the one immediately preceding mine. If you do you will be treated harshly here, insulted, belittled and dog piled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it kcrew. Some people aren't worth the time arguing with. He doesn't need convincing bud. I doubt he's even familiar with the fishery or even has anything to do with it.
    Your making a bad assumption.....
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by mark knapp View Post
    I'm with you Tyin, We pay F&G to be the experts, we should let them be the experts and manage the F&G they are paid to manage.
    We "should" be able to for sure, but unfortunately that hasn't worked out too well at times.....ie, the Kenai river kings. Believe me, I WANT to have faith in them but many times over the years I feel it's misplaced...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I can think of several instances of mismanagement of our freshwater stocks. Lake Louise burbot, Nancy Lake burbot, Hidden Lake lake trout are 3 examples

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    We "should" be able to for sure, but unfortunately that hasn't worked out too well at times.....ie, the Kenai river kings. Believe me, I WANT to have faith in them but many times over the years I feel it's misplaced...
    The Kenai river kings would be a very bad example to give for "Bad management" It's my understanding that those fish are being caught in the high seas as "by catch" by foreign vessels illegally. So many variables out of our F&G department's control. All they can do is try their best.

It's a far cry from a contained fishery like Lake Louis.

I just feel the need to point out that mismanagement is NOT F&G, itís the BOF.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The Kenai river kings would be a very bad example to give for "Bad management" It's my understanding that those fish are being caught in the high seas as "by catch" by foreign vessels illegally. So many variables out of our F&G department's control. All they can do is try their best.
    It's one thing to not know what's causing the decline, but it's entirely another to let fishing for them continue in their weakened state....

It's one thing to not know what's causing the decline, but it's entirely another to let fishing for them continue in their weakened state....
    Our fish and game managers are faced with pressures from all different sides. From fisherman that want it closed, some that want it open, to guides and businesses that have a real financial stake in having an open fishery. Personally I wouldn't want the job.

I don't fish the Kenai much, I prefer to be in less crowded waters, but it seems to me that that the managers have been making use of all the tools available to them from C&R to not lifting kings from the water to closures.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. My original post was more about how some people here treat others when they share a differing opinion.

Our fish and game managers are faced with pressures from all different sides. From fisherman that want it closed, some that want it open, to guides and businesses that have a real financial stake in having an open fishery. Personally I wouldn't want the job.
    Yes, I agree. But they did take the job, and in my opinion, no matter who screams the loudest, the "experts" should always err more on the side of caution and ultimately make their decisions for the long term betterment of the resource. An with that said I refer you to this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...n-this-process

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it kcrew. Some people aren't worth the time arguing with. He doesn't need convincing bud. I doubt he's even familiar with the fishery or even has anything to do with it.

Nope I am just sitting here in India trolling some site that I have no clue about and a fishery I have no clue where its at!! Where is Lake Louise anyways?? LOL Some people
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Yes, I agree. But they did take the job, and in my opinion, no matter who screams the loudest, the "experts" should always err more on the side of caution and ultimately make their decisions for the long term betterment of the resource. An with that said I refer you to this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...n-this-process
    In my opinion, they do that pretty good. I'm not going to jump down any rabbit holes. My point again, was how people get treated on the forum and on this thread when they have a different opinion than some.

Fish and Game managers are handicapped on so many levels. As Homerdave already pointed out, its not the F&G its the BOF. How many times do biologist recommend proposals to the BOG and BOF just to be shot down by the board? Answer: All the time.
    So how is this said person who took the job suppose to set the regulations as they see fit when they get told "no" from Juneau. Just answer this. Should the river be closed while the commercial industry is fishing? Answer is no, and the F&G isn't going to get very far shutting down commercial interests with the current status of the BOF. So them allowing C&R in river is doing their best to allow everyday residents an equal opportunity if other groups are still fishing.

Didn't want to hijak the threak, I just wanted to point out the job reality and your perspective of the job are two totally different things.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910