Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Trouble on louise

I truly hope you are correct that the people that have concerns about this fishing event are completely wrong and have nothing to worry about. I for one believe we do have lots to worry about, I believe this is just the beginning of something much bigger. The non profit that is promoting this event has a very large investment there, for one thing they own Mormon island in my opinion they purchased this island for the sole purpose of being able to house large events, they purchased this island with a grant from the state of Alaska $100,000.00 for the down payment plus they received an additional grant from the state of Alaska for $80,000.00 for upgrades to the newly purchased property.

The vice president of the non profit that is promoting this event has a history of promoting very large fishing events (see the excerpt below Jeremiah)
    I also enclosed a link so everybody can see just what this organization has done in the past and what they are looking forward to in the future.

There was a statement concerning giving Northern Pike a break, ok let's look at this, it is well known that Northern Pike are a huge issue in South Central Alaska, why not have this event on one of those fisheries such as flat horn or figure eight lakes it would be a great time, no worry about mortality (as long as the fish was a Pike) and the extra benefit of riding the area of an evasive fish (please see excerpt below)

In the end follow the money, take a look at the IRS 990 filings for Alaska Healing Hearts pay attention to where the money is coming from almost all of it looks like it is coming from Grants most likely from the State of Alaska, I have tried to find out how much of this non profits money is being used for the sole purpose of what the non profit was created for but at this point I have not found this information and it appears they do not make this information public. Look up the business lic. for the point lodge it is a limited liability corporation (LLC) what is the significance of that Non Profits can be silent partners.
    Can this event eventually become huge the answer is yes, lodging, campers, motor homes, Mormon island all will give people a place to stay. Will this turn into a summer/winter fishing extravaganza for the benefit of one lodge and a not for profit I would think with the investments that have been made the answer is yes, will the non profit be able to justify more grants because of these activities yes, will the lodge benefit from these events yes. This lake is open to anybody that wants to fish, bring the family and have a great time, but in my opinion we do not need to basically have the fishery become commercial for the benefit of a few at the expense of the many.

Northern pike were illegally introduced to southcentral Alaska in the 1950s. The study looked at two tributaries of the Susitna River: the Deshka River, which continues to have a sustainable salmon fishery, including chinook salmon, and Alexander Creek, where pike are believed to have caused the decline in chinook, chum, silver and sockeye salmon, plus rainbow trout and grayling, leading to fishing restrictions.

Jeremiah’s own Annual Hardwater Warrior’s Ice Fishing Derby; one of the largest ice fishing tournaments in the state. Jeremiah resides in Wasilla

When you read the information that cabela's and the sportmans warehouse help out/sponsor this program take a look at the Bio of the non profits ( Alaska Healing Hearts) president and his connection to these organizations.
    https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Lo...504278921.html

Somebody posted about taking kids out fishing and let them catch thier first lunker we just so you know you do not need a huge event to be able to do this, I added a couple pictures to show this, I love taking kids out fishing.

image.jpgimage.jpg

We’re on the lake now. Haven’t caught anything. There’s no fish in this lake. Not sure why there’s going to be a tournament on a lake with no fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Look, for what its worth...I know Jeremiah and while he use to hold a very large fishing tourney for the benefit of a military unit on JBER, his pivot from that tournament format and in helping with AHH was because during his tournaments he took extreme measures in helping advert fish mortality - most notably a man-made live well pond to revive measured fish before putting back in to the lake. ADFG didn't see any benefit in measured data of "stocked fish" but did send him a letter stating that each fish caught could not be transported alive - even if the fish stayed within the lake boundaries. They threaten to have each fish transported to be fined. At that time there were three-four major one-day tournaments in the valley. Because he could no longer keep fish alive and because he didn't believe the lake systems could withstand fishing pressure that could sustain three-four major fishing tourneys a year, he packed up and teamed with AHH and began taking small groups of people out on the lake for one day trips. Careful to mix locations, and capping the numbers of participants for each excursion, Jeremiah has done many great things in the respects of getting folks out fishing and respecting the resource. As for the SCO...the genesis of that tournament was not the brainchild of Jeremiah but a few hard-fishing diehards who put multi-day tournaments together - some were lower 48 transplants who fished bass-tourneys and other were lake fishing guides in the valley. After a few fledgling years of fishing different lakes they relocated to Big Lake and the rest is history. So…you mentioned where will Jeremiah grow this in five years? I can guarantee you this - if it will diminish the fishing environment and resource it will not continue. Just like his large tourneys from three-four year ago. Lake Louise may have enemies, but I stand to say, one is not Jeremiah.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakJack View Post
    Look, for what its worth...I know Jeremiah and while he use to hold a very large fishing tourney for the benefit of a military unit on JBER, his pivot from that tournament format and in helping with AHH was because during his tournaments he took extreme measures in helping advert fish mortality - most notably a man-made live well pond to revive measured fish before putting back in to the lake. ADFG didn't see any benefit in measured data of "stocked fish" but did send him a letter stating that each fish caught could not be transported alive - even if the fish stayed within the lake boundaries. They threaten to have each fish transported to be fined. At that time there were three-four major one-day tournaments in the valley. Because he could no longer keep fish alive and because he didn't believe the lake systems could withstand fishing pressure that could sustain three-four major fishing tourneys a year, he packed up and teamed with AHH and began taking small groups of people out on the lake for one day trips. Careful to mix locations, and capping the numbers of participants for each excursion, Jeremiah has done many great things in the respects of getting folks out fishing and respecting the resource. As for the SCO...the genesis of that tournament was not the brainchild of Jeremiah but a few hard-fishing diehards who put multi-day tournaments together - some were lower 48 transplants who fished bass-tourneys and other were lake fishing guides in the valley. After a few fledgling years of fishing different lakes they relocated to Big Lake and the rest is history. So…you mentioned where will Jeremiah grow this in five years? I can guarantee you this - if it will diminish the fishing environment and resource it will not continue. Just like his large tourneys from three-four year ago. Lake Louise may have enemies, but I stand to say, one is not Jeremiah.

i am sure your friend is a great person and I would think it would be fun to have a cup of coffee with him and tell Alaska stories, but the investments and local partnering up at the lake system tells me and I am sure others a different story. I just hope other people do some basic research
    concerning these programs, thier history, who is connected, where is the money coming from, what is the percent of collected money going for the intended cause, Look at thier IRS 990 filing that will give a good idea where the money is being spent.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakJack View Post
    I have a question, just so I know could you explain how the before mentioned organization will know that the fishing has declined? I talked with the Glennallen fish and game and they were very upfront that lake Louise was very low priority so I am assuming they will not be cking,

I want to thank all of you for your concern for Alaska Fisheries. It is nice to know that people have such a big conviction on this issue. I too share each of your convictions to keeping Alaska fisheries healthy. As a long time angler I understand how over fishing and poor angler respect and regulations can have on fisheries around the world.

Copper Basin Scales and Tails Tournament is designed to have a minimal impact on the environment and the fishery. We believe we can have a successful tournament that teaches proper techniques and to respect our environment. We have placed many safeguards into this tournament to assure we keep this fishery healthy for many years. I have included some below:

1. This is a mandatory catch and release tournament.
    2. We have a biologist teaching the proper way to catch and release fish before the tournament begins.
    3. We have limited the fishing hours to only 36 hours over two separate weekends.
    4. We have tightened the rules over the state, Example: to only one hook. (no trailing hooks)
    5. We made sure this is a Copper Basin Tournament covering many lakes, this limits the effort on any one lake.
    6. We have limited the transportation to only snow machines on trails and will DQ any car or truck on the ice. (with support from the snow machine club)

As we all know there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything. We believe we will show that we can have a successful tournament that can be a template for other tournaments around Alaska and the USA.

This tournament is designed to promote fishing. We have a kids class that hopefully will teach healthy competition and teach them the proper way to care about our environment. This may get them off the XBOX and spend quality time with family and fish.

We are pleased to support the Alaska Healing Hearts. I picked this nonprofit for many reasons. They support the lodges on Lake Louise. They support our Veterans. They understand how important our Alaska environment is. There is NO personal or business connection between The Point Lodge and Alaska Healing Hearts other then the Point Lodge supporting there cause. There is no plan for any other fishing tournaments at this time.

The lake system being fished in this tournament is over 30,000 sq acres. Assuming the highest probable entries in the tournament and 2 hooks per angler the ratio of hook to acres is 375 acres to each hook. This is a very low ratio of hook to area.

We thank you all for your concern and we have taken steps to mediate every concern we possibly can to keep this fishery healthy for many years to come.

The Point Lodge will offer no more comments or statements on this forum.

Ken Hobbs
    The Point Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by spedfrk13 View Post
    I want to thank all of you for your concern for Alaska Fisheries. It is nice to know that people have such a big conviction on this issue. I too share each of your convictions to keeping Alaska fisheries healthy. As a long time angler I understand how over fishing and poor angler respect and regulations can have on fisheries around the world.

Copper Basin Scales and Tails Tournament is designed to have a minimal impact on the environment and the fishery. We believe we can have a successful tournament that teaches proper techniques and to respect our environment. We have placed many safeguards into this tournament to assure we keep this fishery healthy for many years. I have included some below:

2. We have a biologist teaching the proper way to catch and release fish before the tournament begins.
    3. We have limited the fishing hours to only 36 hours over two separate weekends.
    4. We have tightened the rules over the state, Example: to only one hook. (no trailing hooks)
    5. We made sure this is a Copper Basin Tournament covering many lakes, this limits the effort on any one lake.
    6. We have limited the transportation to only snow machines on trails and will DQ any car or truck on the ice. (with support from the snow machine club)

As we all know there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything. We believe we will show that we can have a successful tournament that can be a template for other tournaments around Alaska and the USA.

This tournament is designed to promote fishing. We have a kids class that hopefully will teach healthy competition and teach them the proper way to care about our environment. This may get them off the XBOX and spend quality time with family and fish.

We are pleased to support the Alaska Healing Hearts. I picked this nonprofit for many reasons. They support the lodges on Lake Louise. They support our Veterans. They understand how important our Alaska environment is. There is NO personal or business connection between The Point Lodge and Alaska Healing Hearts other then the Point Lodge supporting there cause. There is no plan for any other fishing tournaments at this time.

The lake system being fished in this tournament is over 30,000 sq acres. Assuming the highest probable entries in the tournament and 2 hooks per angler the ratio of hook to acres is 375 acres to each hook. This is a very low ratio of hook to area.

We thank you all for your concern and we have taken steps to mediate every concern we possibly can to keep this fishery healthy for many years to come.

Ken Hobbs
    The Point Lodge
    Thanks for your report Ken. I know you said you wouldn't respond to this forum again. Could you respond via an email or private message? After reading your report, I am wondering just 2 things. #1) you stated this tournament will be offered on more than one lake. Could you tell us what lakes are being included? #2) you stated that cars and trucks are not allowed and will be disqualified from the tournament. Does this restriction include ATVs? Are you allowing 4-wheelers and other ATVs?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by spedfrk13 View Post

Ken Hobbs
    The Point Lodge

Well yea of course we are doing it for the kids what a wonderful idea, and of course you do not see this as a money making event for your lodge. I for one hope people
    take the time to research any connection to this non profit and the history of the non profit itself. I also hope the people that you depend on for a sunificant amont of your income see this for what it is and choose to spend thier hard earned money somewhere else. Yep when I told you that I could not support your event in a message nor could a posible large group of the local area land owners you sent me a thumbs up, I personely took that as who cares. If that is any indication of your business savvy, I am sure we all should have a warm fuzzy feeling about your ability to be part of an event.

On February 21, this Thursday, the matanuska Susitna borough game and fish commission is having their annual meeting. It will be held at the matanuska Susitna borough building in Palmer at 5:00pm. This will be a good opportunity for the public to raise concerns on tournaments and derbies held on natural unstocked lakes, specifically the lake Louise drainage. There will be time at the end of the meeting for public comment. If you google the game and fish commission you will be able to see their agenda for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    On February 21, this Thursday, the matanuska Susitna borough game and fish commission is having their annual meeting. It will be held at the matanuska Susitna borough building in Palmer at 5:00pm. This will be a good opportunity for the public to raise concerns on tournaments and derbies held on natural unstocked lakes, specifically the lake Louise drainage. There will be time at the end of the meeting for public comment. If you google the game and fish commission you will be able to see their agenda for the evening.

Thank you you for the information I will do my best to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Well yea of course we are doing it for the kids what a wonderful idea, and of course you do not see this as a money making event for your lodge. I for one hope people
    take the time to research any connection to this non profit and the history of the non profit itself. I also hope the people that you depend on for a sunificant amont of your income see this for what it is and choose to spend thier hard earned money somewhere else. Yep when I told you that I could not support your event in a message nor could a posible large group of the local area land owners you sent me a thumbs up, I personely took that as who cares. If that is any indication of your business savvy, I am sure we all should have a warm fuzzy feeling about your ability to be part of an event.
    I assure you wishing ill will on this gentleman and his business will get you nowhere. In fact it almost makes your comments seem petty.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    I assure you wishing ill will on this gentleman and his business will get you nowhere. In fact it almost makes your comments seem petty.
    Thank you for conveying your opinion, you have yours and a large number of people have theirs as well as I have my opinion.

I take it someone does not like someone. KIDS We should just call this Alaska Outdoor Facebook
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    I take it someone does not like someone. KIDS We should just call this Alaska Outdoor Facebook
    i do not know them, but I am sure they are very nice people, personely I just do not like the idea that somebody would put on this event and all the other things that will most likely follow. At the expense of the many,

How did things go at this meeting??

Somebody posted about taking kids out fishing and let them catch thier first lunker we just so you know you do not need a huge event to be able to do this, I added a couple pictures to show this, I love taking kids out fishing.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Do you have any pics where the kids actually caught fish.... jus asking....
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

The meeting went good. The commission was able to give us some valuable insight on the the steps we need to take in the future. They were happy to see how concerned we were with this issue and how passionate we are about the lake Louise system. I have a lot of work to do but I will not stop until lake Louise gets the management it deserves. My end goal is to have the Louise system setup under a trophy management plan, and to convince ADFG to do that will take a massive amount of research and work. It might sound crazy but it will be the only way to protect the fish for the future.

The meeting went good. The commission was able to give us some valuable insight on the the steps we need to take in the future. They were happy to see how concerned we were with this issue and how passionate we are about the lake Louise system. I have a lot of work to do but I will not stop until lake Louise gets the management it deserves. My end goal is to have the Louise system setup under a trophy management plan, and to convince ADFG to do that will take a massive amount of research and work. It might sound crazy but it will be the only way to protect the fish for the future.
    thank you for the update, I truly wanted to be there but for family reasons I was not able to attend, I have a contact inside the Point lodge that has become alarmed with the fishing trend on Louise/Crosswind lake system, I am being told that the guides are become concerned that the fishing has slowed down and are having to travel a longer distance to catch fish, he/she also told me that last week they had a minimum of 42 clients taken out fishing if that were to continue at that rate that would be 2,184 clients a year they are doing mostly catch and release so no telling what the mortality numbers are. The person told me that the fishing on crosswind has become so slow they have basically given up on that lake as well as Louise and have started fishing the active pockets on lake susitna.

he/she also told me that last week they had a minimum of 42 clients taken out fishing if that were to continue at that rate that would be 2,184 clients a year
    Sounds like the tournament is a drop in the bucket.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast