Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble on louise

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Sometimes people do things with the best intentions. Healing Hearts is a program with good intentions. The lodge probably had good intentions too. More than likely, after this they won't try it again.
    I completly agree with your insight, although when I was communicating with the lodge owner letting him know that there was a sizable group on this forum that did not support his event he sent me a thumbs up sticker, letting me know I assume that he did not care. I considered that as being a strang response.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I completly agree with your insight, although when I was communicating with the lodge owner letting him know that there was a sizable group on this forum that did not support his event he sent me a thumbs up sticker, letting me know I assume that he did not care. I considered that as being a strang response.
    Maybe with the thumbs up, he was acknowledging your concern. Hope for the best. Most of the time communicating on the internet instead of face-to-face leaves a lot to misinterpretation of the intended message.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Not good for the lake. I have fished it for 35 years, some of my family for 45 years, this is not good at all. I have witnessed much variation in fish populations. The fish grow very slow, we are not talking about bluegill in a park pond here. DANG IT!

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    Not good for the lake. I have fished it for 35 years, some of my family for 45 years, this is not good at all. I have witnessed much variation in fish populations. The fish grow very slow, we are not talking about bluegill in a park pond here. DANG IT!
    Yep and for the lodge it will make them a couple bucks, and they will move on, one of the values of having property up there is the fishing, I can assure you property values will drop when it gets to a point you can no longer catch a fish or two with your family . The fish and games phone number was listed I one of the post call them with your concerns.

those lakes up there are not a resource to gamble with. It takes all the fish in those lakes along time to grow of a decent size. They should stick with big lake for their tournament. I am not sure if its the same people who put on the big lake one or not. If it is, a few years ago they attempted to have a tourney in laker country but it had a huge push back from the forum goers. With their social media following it could unfortunately bring alot of people that way and yes people will be using ATV's.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Hereís a Facebook post I saw this afternoon. Pretty much applies to Lake Louise and lake trout waters in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Congrats on the most boring super bowl to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep, but two out of three members of the Holy Trinity are happy.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    those lakes up there are not a resource to gamble with. It takes all the fish in those lakes along time to grow of a decent size. They should stick with big lake for their tournament. I am not sure if its the same people who put on the big lake one or not. If it is, a few years ago they attempted to have a tourney in laker country but it had a huge push back from the forum goers. With their social media following it could unfortunately bring alot of people that way and yes people will be using ATV's.
    Please call the point lodge (ken Hobbs) and the fish and game in Glennallen and voice your concerns.

I will be. I sent the lake Louise snowmachine club and email informing them that the lodge is promoting the use of atvs on the lake. If thatís the case people will be going on the groomed trails and creating a disaster and a hazard for all users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Please call the point lodge (ken Hobbs) and the fish and game in Glennallen and voice your concerns.
    I see people posting on here that they are upset about this, but I don't see a single comment or post on their Facebook page stating the concerns. If I were you, I would express your concerns where the public would see it.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I see people posting on here that they are upset about this, but I don't see a single comment or post on their Facebook page stating the concerns. If I were you, I would express your concerns where the public would see it.
    The only concern that many of the people that have replied to this posting have are based on the fishing pressure on a wild stock fishery and the mortality rate of a catch and release event. Other then that the Point Lodge is a great addition to the Lake Louise area. In terms of getting the word out there have been over 2,500 views with almost 50 replies to a very specialized group of people that have an interest in the continued viability of a fishery..

What are the stipulations on the event? Catch and release only? How long is a fish out of the water to determine size/length if it is catch and release only type derby?

The only concern that many of the people that have replied to this posting have are based on the fishing pressure on a wild stock fishery and the mortality rate of a catch and release event. Other then that the Point Lodge is a great addition to the Lake Louise area. In terms of getting the word out there have been over 2,500 views with almost 50 replies to a very specialized group of people that have an interest in the continued viability of a fishery..
    Those 2,500 views are the same people coming back over and over to read the replies, so you don't have nearly that many individuals actually seeing it. I'm just saying that if you want to be effective in expressing your concern to those who are looking to attend the event, target those areas where the event is being advertised, like on their Facebook page. You don't have to slam the lodge, but just good, well stated opinions posted as comments to their advertisement of the event can go a long way. Yes, here is one of the places to reach some people who may consider attending, but why not take advantage of other resources as well?

Some of us like myself are not on Facebook so unfortunatly we cant comment on their sight. You are right though, commenting on their sight would probably be a more effective way to get our opinions across and like you said do it in a civil manner. Like I said earlier itís highly unlikely we will be able to get this shut down but we are raising awareness about the issue so hopefully it will be easier for us to get some regulation in place to stop future events. By no means am I saying quit, I will fight these guys till the end we just need to be better people and educate the uneducated.

So I have done a little digging. I found their Facebook page and read all the regulations. No treble hooks allowed and all fish must be immediately released after measured and photographed on the measuring board provided. I understand the angst around fishing tournaments. Playing devils advocate, whats the huge dispute over an activity that is releasing every fish caught immediately after being landed and measured. Research has shown lake trout caught and released in cold waters in the winter show almost a 100% survival rate. The thing that stresses and kills lake trout after being caught is warm water temperatures. Not an issue here.
    So is it a conservation problem, or a problem more people will be using the area fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehawk View Post
    So I have done a little digging. I found their Facebook page and read all the regulations. No treble hooks allowed and all fish must be immediately released after measured and photographed on the measuring board provided. I understand the angst around fishing tournaments. Playing devils advocate, whats the huge dispute over an activity that is releasing every fish caught immediately after being landed and measured. Research has shown lake trout caught and released in cold waters in the winter show almost a 100% survival rate. The thing that stresses and kills lake trout after being caught is warm water temperatures. Not an issue here.
    So is it a conservation problem, or a problem more people will be using the area fishing?

100% ? There have been all kinds of studies,here is one the Alaska Department of Fish and Game referred to while talking with them. I know it is hard to read but well worth the effort. I hope everybody can measure their fish and get a pic and the take a pic of their self with it in less then60 sec.

Ferguson and Tufts (1992) found that there were direct effects of air exposure duration on mortality of rainbow trout. Rainbow trout that were chased for approximately 10 minutes had a survival rate of 88%, however this fell to 62% for fish that were subsequently exposed to air for 30 s and survival was only 28% for fish exposed to air for 60 s (Ferguson and Tufts, 1992). This study demonstrates the detrimental effects of air exposure, and highlight the need to reduce handling time and air exposure during catch-and-release.

I appreciate the devils advocate it helps in developing our opinions in a Civil manner. Several of the issues I see are guys coming up to fish with undersized gear. What happens is they have to play the fish to exhaustion to get it to the hole, then they have to wrestle with it to get hooks out and pics further stressing the fish. Once the fish is released it useally dies from stress. Another one is the burbot will be spawning at this time and itís highly unlikely they will release a big mature burbot. I relize the regs say 1 per day 1 in possession but when you get say 50 guys out there keeping one fish each thatís a pretty big chunk out of the spawning population. I think the biggest one that pisses me off the most is they are promoting the use of 4 wheelers which causes major problems at that time of year for those of us that need to haul freight. They will tear up the trails and cause a major safety hazard that has injured folks in the past. In all I think this is just a ploy to promote a business that in the end doesnít care about the resource just making money.

100% ? There have been all kinds of studies,here is one the Alaska Department of Fish and Game referred to while talking with them. I know it is hard to read but well worth the effort. I hope everybody can measure their fish and get a pic and the take a pic of their self with it in less then60 sec.

Ferguson and Tufts (1992) found that there were direct effects of air exposure duration on mortality of rainbow trout. Rainbow trout that were chased for approximately 10 minutes had a survival rate of 88%, however this fell to 62% for fish that were subsequently exposed to air for 30 s and survival was only 28% for fish exposed to air for 60 s (Ferguson and Tufts, 1992). This study demonstrates the detrimental effects of air exposure, and highlight the need to reduce handling time and air exposure during catch-and-release.
    I understand your concerns. I myself am not fishing or promoting this event. Although, I give them credit to at least make it catch and release ONLY when the state regulations say you can keep one.
    Also the study you presented is about rainbow trout. I was specifically referencing lake trout. Look up some in-fisherman articles about the issue. I'm not saying 100% survival, but if 100 fish get caught and released I would imagine 90+ will survive. I myself have caught many lake trout through the ice, and am fairly confident to say zero have ever died after a release.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    I appreciate the devils advocate it helps in developing our opinions in a Civil manner. Several of the issues I see are guys coming up to fish with undersized gear. What happens is they have to play the fish to exhaustion to get it to the hole, then they have to wrestle with it to get hooks out and pics further stressing the fish. Once the fish is released it useally dies from stress. Another one is the burbot will be spawning at this time and itís highly unlikely they will release a big mature burbot. I relize the regs say 1 per day 1 in possession but when you get say 50 guys out there keeping one fish each thatís a pretty big chunk out of the spawning population. I think the biggest one that pisses me off the most is they are promoting the use of 4 wheelers which causes major problems at that time of year for those of us that need to haul freight. They will tear up the trails and cause a major safety hazard that has injured folks in the past. In all I think this is just a ploy to promote a business that in the end doesnít care about the resource just making money.
    I can't comment why they are running the said event. Promoting a business is one of the big parts of it I am sure. I just know fishing tournaments are nothing new in the fishing community around the country. The part of releasing the fish is a big step IMO towards conservation. These fish are hardy in the winter, and way more than most will survive.
    I also can't say anything about the use of 4 wheelers or burbot issue. Those concerns seem very legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehawk View Post
    I understand your concerns. I myself am not fishing or promoting this event. Although, I give them credit to at least make it catch and release ONLY when the state regulations say you can keep one.
    Also the study you presented is about rainbow trout. I was specifically referencing lake trout. Look up some in-fisherman articles about the issue. I'm not saying 100% survival, but if 100 fish get caught and released I would imagine 90+ will survive. I myself have caught many lake trout through the ice, and am fairly confident to say zero have ever died after a release.

Yes that surprised me too that the Alaska Fish and Game in Glennallen ref. Rainbow trout in there studies, they even talked about rainbows in the mortality rate for bleeders. They said a lot of them survived. That surprised me as well.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast