2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Default PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    I just cleared out my PM folder give it another shot
    Tried again

My wife and I purchased a 21' north river commander back in 06 and used it alot in the rivers and lakes in the interior and also valdez it was fantastic boat in rivers and lakes and it did great for us in the salt also. It had a 5.7 w/ 212 pump, stomp grate also. I never really had a problem with trash in water. Whenever I would put boat on trailer I never drove it on cause there always was alot of debris at the boat launch, I would pull it on, didn't take any longer by doing this. Also when we would leave the entrance of the harbor I would shut off motor and then hit stomp grate, there would be debris that would release from the intake. We would start up and be on our way.
    We would always leave early and try and get back to port before the afternoon winds.
    It would burn about 8.0 gph at 34mph cruisin. We came down with twofootitus and we sold it and after looking for a few years purchased a bigger boat with a few more comforts.
    You won't go wrong with any of the boats you listed, your family will have a great time. Good luck and happy hunting for your boat!!

Contact info sent to you via PM...
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

I have a 23í x 9í 2015 TJ Maxim Classic that I am just about to post for sale. The boat was purchased brand new in 2017 and has less than 100 hrs on the Kodiak Marine LS3. Not a cheap, but a great boat for all around fishing both inland and out in PWS.

Feel free to PM me if you would like further information.

Aaron.

I think youíre over thinking this. I had a 22 ft North River that I took everywhere. I did have to clean out seaweed from my intake... once. That took all of 15 minutes. I did get stuck once on a gravel bar. That took over an hour. Like anything else there is a learning curve, embrace that and be prepared for the normal stuff and stay inside your abilities in the beginning. The one off -running over a black trash bag suspended a foot below surface that you canít see is ...a one off. Aceptable risk for many hours of enjoyment. I have since moved up to an ocean boat because....once youíve had salt...itís hard to go back. BTW most things that obstruct your intake will rob you of mid and upper power, not cause a complete loss of comtrol. Even with a parially blocked intake you can maneuver against the current and land your boat safely, the impeller will cavitate at the higher rpms but will still move water at lower.
    Alaska Armory -- http://www.facebook.com/AlaskaArmory
    Underwood Ammunition Dealer

I used to have a 24' Duckworth with a 211 Hamilton. It worked fine in the salt. I did have one time where I ran over one of those big bands of seaweed in the sound and had to idle back in to Whittier and put it on the trailer to clear it out. The stomp grate would not do it, but that was the exception. A pure ocean boat is definitely better for the sound, but not really necessary. I just decided that I liked the ocean more than rivers, so switched to a boat designed for that. It was a good experience in that it allowed me to explore a wider range of things and settle on what I wanted to focus on.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I love jet boats, there is so much to talk about. And fix. Generally I find they are way more forgiving than a prop. Anything can get FUBAR, but a jet is less likely compared to an outdrive. A jet boat in the ocean falls off step pretty easy because of boat design not because the jet is not working.

I currently have a 3 stage hamilton/kodiak (they are exactly the same). It is infinitely change able which is good to a point. They are very popular and will be for decades. Advice, get stainless impellers. They used to use brass, and those impellers are still around. I have some for emergency spares. Also, upgrade the jet nozzle from the "T4" old stock nozzle. If you run it in salt, take it apart every year and clean off the salt deposits. Good advice in general to take it down once a year if you have been using it a bunch. I have seen jets that have not been serviced for several years that take blow torches and pry bars to get things out. Kodiak suggests an impeller combination and nozzle size. For almost all applications, it seems to do well with boats in the 20ft range.

I pal around with a big 23' duckworth and a 211. I do not recommend it over the 212 in the sporting arena. The 211 cavitates with a heavy load, will fall off step in a turn and is VERY cumbersome to get a turbo impeller into. And, parts are getting scarce.

If I had to pick a jet pump for a new boat or rebuild, I would look at Scott Jet 2 stage or go with the Hamilton 212.

I pal around with folks using the Mercury Sport Jet. I am not a fan. Loud, tight tolerances, hard to fix, and does not carry a heavy load like the 212 or 3 stage. It is light and will go fast, at that is the intended design.

Also seen the x-treme Jets. Really not a fan. Small nozzle, bucket. Impellers are hard to fix up. Often no stomp grate. They fail quickly if you run some trash through them.

I spent 3 years thrashing around the sound in a 23ft jet boat. I learned a lot, and it is quite possible to do. Just not comfortable.

Maybe a better option is an outboard platform where you can change lower units between prop and jet.

As i mentioned before, i have a lot of time in fresh and salt water in a jet. I loved it in interior rivers but only tolerated it (although I always made it back to port) in salt. Anything can happen on the ocean, itís really big water. Not trying to scare you, just telling you like it is. Let me know if you buy something and make it to Valdez. Iíd be happy to shadow you the first couple of times in an ocean boat.

I've thought a lot about an OB and switching the lower units. We actually have a 18' boat now that I was thinking of buying a new motor for with both units. In the end I really want the security of a little deeper hull, higher sides, covered top, and heat. I know I could cover and heat any boat but the IB jets seem to usually have wider bottoms, more freeboard, and carry a little more v towards the transom. Ideally we would get an ocean boat and keep our river boat, but financially thats not in play. Also at this point we only plan on hitting Valdez a few times a year, a little shrimping and silvers. A buddy let me use his 22' Hewes OP last year and after about an hour or so the kids (2-5-7) were ready to get out and explore. So maybe down the road will get that ocean boat. Just thinking that right now the IB jet would be the best compromise for us. Thanks for the offer and I'll be in touch if this all works out.

This Jetcraft just popped up on CL. It's worth a look, good price too. The base gasket on the intake needs to be replaced but that's not really a big deal, could be done in an afternoon by a couple guys if you have access to a shop and engine hoist.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa...843856368.html

Haven't been on here for awhile, just caught up on this thread. Have had a couple inboard jets over the years - Duckworth Silverwing and an Alumaweld formula V. Both had 3 stage Hamilton pumps and worked great in the rivers and pretty well in the ocean. Best thing you can get for the 3 stage pumps is an extension collar to raise the height of the inspection port to above the water line. Then if you have anything clogging the intake you can shut down the engine, open the port (from inside the boat) reach inside and clear any issues. Used to carry a 16" prybar to help dislodge stuff, but it can be done. Since then I have moved fully to the salt, with dual 200HP outboards. Hope you get your boat and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by streak26 View Post
    Haven't been on here for awhile, just caught up on this thread. Have had a couple inboard jets over the years - Duckworth Silverwing and an Alumaweld formula V. Both had 3 stage Hamilton pumps and worked great in the rivers and pretty well in the ocean. Best thing you can get for the 3 stage pumps is an extension collar to raise the height of the inspection port to above the water line. Then if you have anything clogging the intake you can shut down the engine, open the port (from inside the boat) reach inside and clear any issues. Used to carry a 16" prybar to help dislodge stuff, but it can be done. Since then I have moved fully to the salt, with dual 200HP outboards. Hope you get your boat and have fun!
    streak26, do you know if the extension collars can be purchased pre made or would it need to be custom fabricated?

They are off the shelf. Professional Marine has them in stock, their place is on Potter Drive in anchorage. I think that Greatland Welding in the valley also carries them.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    They are off the shelf. Professional Marine has them in stock, their place is on Potter Drive in anchorage. I think that Greatland Welding in the valley also carries them.
    Thanks KC, asked Professional Marine last week when I had my jet unit worked on, unfortunatly the batteries on my jetcraft are in the way and would take extensive modification to fit the extention in. Just have watch out for those seaweed patches.
    By the way, want to give Professional Marine a Thumbs Up, final bill came in less than quote, several things did not need work once they tore it apart. I know at least one shop that would have gone ahead with all work as originaly quoted.

I think I bought mine from KEM Equipment. Totally premade, in fact I just looked at their website and it is part #102564 Hatch Extension. Uses the same cap as you already have.

Well guys after lots of looking we finally got a boat. Like most things in life I didn't get exactly what I wanted but it will do. Also it was about 5K to 20K less than the other boats I looked at. Looked at 2 different commanders, a wooly sportstour, a TJ, and a duckworth. Started talking with an old friend who moved out of state and he told me would like to sell his northwest Jetboat. So ended up getting a 2001 20' NWjet with 201 hours on it. Has stomp grate, kicker, new lowrance finder/gps, heater, canvas, and seating for 6. Has on AT pump (which was not my first choice) and a 351 redline motor. I feel super fortunate that I know the previous owner, have been in the boat before, and went and drove the boat for an hour or so before agreeing to purchase. One guy wanted $1000 nonrefundable to drive his boat! Thanks for all your help on here and I am sure I will be back with even more questions. Also if anyone is looking for a nice smaller boat I have an older Jetcrat with a 90/65 for sale.

The AT is a good pump once you figure out how it works I run with guys that have Hamiltonís and can go where the go run the same water, hauled a ton of freight, and the pump has never let me down
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Just a note on extension collars, they will not work on some boats due to something in the way. Use one if your lucky and can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123