Just returned from the Russian River where my daughter and I managed to yard out a few reds. Thought I'd offer some updates for those interested.
1. The limit on reds has gone up from three to four. Lots of fish there now, but if you don't go right away...
2. The two cubs that were left over after last summers' shooting of a sow and cub; One of the two cubs was wounded and the other was feeding it by fishing on behalf of the other cub. No word on whether the second cub had a proxy permit or not, but I heard that the uninjured cub was relocated to the Moose Pass area, and the other is in the Russian River area learning how to fish on his own.
3. A brown bear sow was shot just below the ferry crossing on Monday, I believe. The bear left two cubs behind, which have not been located. The news said that the ferry operator told folks all day that a sow with cubs was in the area, but against her advice, two individuals went bushwacking in the area anyway, ran into the bears and shot the sow.
4. There have been both black and brown bears spotted along the Russian. Yesterday morning there was a brown bear sitting at the foot of the stairs leading down from the Pink Salmon parking lot.
5. Which handgun should I use for bear protection? Heh.