Thread: Swamp and slough conditions north of Yentna Station

Default Swamp and slough conditions north of Yentna Station

How are the swamps and sloughs once you get up past Yentna Station (namely around the Lake Creek area)? How about the ponds? Between the earthquake and this warm, rainy winter there are just some areas I am afraid to trust

I wasn't that far north, but last weekend I was upriver from Yentna Station up to around the Kahiltna. Some sloughs have open water - we had to build a bridge across one to access a cabin. The swamps were fine and most side river channels were good as well as long as you travel carefully, though there certainly were exceptions with sections of open water. I can't speak to the ponds, as we didn't travel on any.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    How are the swamps and sloughs once you get up past Yentna Station (namely around the Lake Creek area)? How about the ponds? Between the earthquake and this warm, rainy winter there are just some areas I am afraid to trust

If if there is even a question about the safety of traveling in an area why would you even consider going? Be safe out there.

Not a consideration at this point, we have a cabin off of 20-Mile Slough, which has been horrible for the last few years when it comes to overflow. We like to take the Overland Trail in order to avoid the problems 20-Mile can give, but there are a few large ponds back there that also have nice overflow or unseen open hole problems that can ruin your day. Typically we can pick around them but this year has been "different" and good trail reports have been slim pickins. Just when you think things are good, it warms up and rains again lol

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    If if there is even a question about the safety of traveling in an area why would you even consider going? Be safe out there.

Last Saturday we went up 20-Mile Slough as far as the first cabin on the left. Just past that the trail we were on ended and we decided we didn't feel comfortable going any further. Just an FYI in case that's your cabin.