Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 37' x 15' ACI Montague F/V "Strait Crazy" New Construct

Only thing worse than a Volvo drive is an ETEC. Just sayin.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by jon_h View Post
    If Volvo is your choice of engine why not go with IPS?

It is the most fuel efficient drive system.
    Forward facing counter rotating props running in a place with floating sticks, logs and popweed with rocks attached to it, what could go wrong with that ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I think the OP has made his decision. Hope it turns out well for him. Beautiful boat!

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I think the OP has made his decision. Hope it turns out well for him. Beautiful boat!
    Agree....fun to watch these builds. Crazy Ray...can we hear some details about your nav, fishing finding, and radar details when you get some free time? Why you chose them?

I will chime in again on the other side of the Volvo Issue. I have a single D6-370 and an DPH drive with about 1400 hours. The volvo motor has been great. For me, I do all the maintenance on schedule, and it just runs and runs. I am around 14,000 lbs, and run it typically around 70% power. I did have one top bearing failure, but I think a lot of the issue was that it was an early drive. I rebuilt it, and keep it as a spare, and now have a DPH-C which is beefier. A lot of the haters have had experience with early products; it seems like they are more reliable these days.

One word of caution, especially if you have 'for hire' captains running your boat. Ease into the throttles. The D6 generates a ton of torque if throttled up fast, and I suspect that this is where at least some of the drive failures come from. Also, I was told early on to be careful at both warm up and cool down with the turbo which may lead to better life as well.

Looks like a great boat for the sound. Mine gets great economy as well. 10 or 11 gph at 26kts. Saves fuel and also gives lots of range.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Ok Ray, its been a while and we want to see/hear an update on the Strait Crazy!

Sobie2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123