Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 37' x 15' ACI Montague F/V "Strait Crazy" New Construct

Ray that is one hell of a boat awesome brother wife and I cant wait to ride in it on 7/6
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it on the sound!

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Ray that is one hell of a boat awesome brother wife and I cant wait to ride in it on 7/6
    Looking forward to it Chris.

Great looking boat! Cory builds a nice boat.
    A word of caution from someone who has dealt w Armstrong and then ACI extensivly over the past 5 years.....
    Both have a love affair with outdrives. This is their boat's achilles heal... You may want to contact Tim Berg, the previous owner of the Tia Rose out of Seward or the current owner of Alaskan Fishing Adventures, Mark Burner. Their maintenence schedule to maintain functioning outdrives on the Tia Rose is incredulous and costly. The owners of your "sister boat" in Seward may have useful info re maintaining the outdrives as well. Weight is a big part of the issue w these outdives.
    JD
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'N Crazy Ray View Post
    Twin Volvo D-6 Diesels with Duo-Prop Outdrives

Quote Originally Posted by Jrddiver View Post
    Great looking boat! Cory builds a nice boat.
    A word of caution from someone who has dealt w Armstrong and then ACI extensivly over the past 5 years.....
    Both have a love affair with outdrives. This is their boat's achilles heal... You may want to contact Tim Berg, the previous owner of the Tia Rose out of Seward or the current owner of Alaskan Fishing Adventures, Mark Burner. Their maintenence schedule to maintain functioning outdrives on the Tia Rose is incredulous and costly. The owners of your "sister boat" in Seward may have useful info re maintaining the outdrives as well. Weight is a big part of the issue w these outdives.
    JD
    Glad you brought that up! When i saw what that boat is going to have for power all i thought was
    hand over face.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Glad you brought that up! When i saw what that boat is going to have for power all i thought was
    hand over face.jpg
    The new generation volvo outdrives are having better success (monohulls) so I'm told. Basically at 500 hrs they're pulling the drives off of the boat and having the top gears replaced. I ordered 2 complete extra drives so I can swap when we hit hrs and have rebuilt out of the critical path. I'm also adding drive showers and drive oil temp sensors to monitor while underway. The boats are custom made so really you can put whatever you have money for in them. Shafts weren't really an option for me due to lack of speed/efficiency.

The boat weight is about 25k loaded.

The new generation volvo outdrives are having better success (monohulls) so I'm told. Basically at 500 hrs they're pulling the drives off of the boat and having the top gears replaced. I ordered 2 complete extra drives so I can swap when we hit hrs and have rebuilt out of the critical path. I'm also adding drive showers and drive oil temp sensors to monitor while underway. The boats are custom made so really you can put whatever you have money for in them. Shafts weren't really an option for me due to lack of speed/efficiency.

Good Luck my friend, your going to need it. Add pyrometers on the motors so you know what your exhaust temps are when the boat is fully loaded. I'd buy the extended warranty if available from volvo then have a lawyer on retainer for when volvo declines any claims.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

What a beautiful boat. I hate to pile on but the two gents are absolutely correct about Volvo. My advice is to put a halt to that right now and use Cummins. If you must have an outdrive for commercial use on a heavy boat it’s Konrad all the way. Requires a real marine gear in front of it so it’s a heavy and expensive proposition. You can idle it and shift it (what a concept) without taking out the top box.

The work season is way too short in AK to deal with Volvo’s BS. Awesome package for a weekend water skier.

Again what a beautiful hull and classic design. Very, very envious.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    What a beautiful boat. I hate to pile on but the two gents are absolutely correct about Volvo. My advice is to put a halt to that right now and use Cummins. If you must have an outdrive for commercial use on a heavy boat it’s Konrad all the way. Requires a real marine gear in front of it so it’s a heavy and expensive proposition. You can idle it and shift it (what a concept) without taking out the top box.

The work season is way too short in AK to deal with Volvo’s BS. Awesome package for a weekend water skier.

Again what a beautiful hull and classic design. Very, very envious.
    I totally forgot about the konrads and agree if you have to go outdrive they are tough units. Cummins, John Deere or even yanmar would be way better than volvo's. Another option would be a call to Tony Athens of Seaboard Marine in Ca. He is a Cummins/Yanmar guru and has a very good reputation.
    https://www.sbmar.com/repower-projects/raptor-a-repower-of-a-custom-36-ft-new-wave/
    https://youtu.be/zOOg_j8VDKY

I bet Tony could come up with a nice dependable power package to make it scoot right along.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Per Volvo..., 10,000 # per outdrive. Anything more than that you are taxing the propulsion. Weight is weight Cat v Monohull. Ray, this is just an fyi. I have no interest in telling you what you need, but I've done this dance with Josh and Cory. I have an idea what you are going to face. Just go in w your eyes wide open.
    I know what ACI is telling you. I heard the same thing.... don't do shafts... too slow... inefficient, etc...

When we renovated our boat I didn't have ACI do it even though my Cat is an Armstrong for a number of reasons, but one was because he wanted to do outdrives. They refused to do V-drives which is what we wanted.
    FYI..... we get a 1mpg fuel burn at cruising speed (25knots) and have a speed of 35mph WOT on our boat which we put a pair of V-drives in w a pair of Cummins QSB 6.7 550 hp engines. 28" props. 48 feet LOA, 37,000# loaded.
    Caveat Emptor.....

Tony Athens did our propulsion system. He's awesome. Agree w Potbuilder 100% on Seaboard.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I totally forgot about the konrads and agree if you have to go outdrive they are tough units. Cummins, John Deere or even yanmar would be way better than volvo's. Another option would be a call to Tony Athens of Seaboard Marine in Ca. He is a cummins/vanmar guru and has a very good reputation.
    https://www.sbmar.com/repower-projec...6-ft-new-wave/

Rays boat is fairly skinny for its length and i bet Tony could come up with a nice dependable power package to make it scoot right along.

Tony Athens did our propulsion system. He's awesome. Agree w Potbuilder 100% on Seaboard.
    Correction on my comment on Ray's boat width its kinda fat for its length not skinny( brain blockage due to flashback of volvo's)

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Great thing about this forum, if you have a question of how to do something, or should I use this product, chances are pretty dang good either someone had a good or bad experience and will share advice. I know I got a ton of information when I was building my boat.

Having owned a prior boat with Volvo diesel/outdrive, I know I'll NEVER do that again.

Awesome looking boat Ray, hope you are one of the lucky ones with whole Volvo experience.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

If Volvo is your choice of engine why not go with IPS?

It is the most fuel efficient drive system.

Beauty of a boat that you have coming together! I'll second the notion that you'll need to have extra outdrives on hand to deal with service issues and downtime potential--just read through these forums. The choice to add drive showers and a temp sender is a good one. As Steve mentioned you should add a pyrometer to look at how much work you're putting through those volvo engines--especially at the weight that you anticipate to cruise. I run a D6-310 and have both a DPH-A and DPH-D drive for a 7500lb boat. The DPH-A top gear at 30kts cruise gets so hot that you can't keep a hand on it. Be fastidious about your fluids and there's a chance to get some hours out of your combo. Consider a sort of bypass valve on the raw water intake (right before the raw water strainer) if you are going to put the pink stuff in your engines during the winters. Makes it WAY easier to drop in a few bottles to keep them from freezing. Make SURE that you have zero water intrusion into your engine compartments, especially drips into the injector valleys or on the end caps of the heat exchangers/intercoolers. Make SURE that you have the "sightglass" tops to the raw water strainers, not the screw-tops. Good luck and can't wait to see that monster out on the water!

Bob

Hey Ray, I cant wait to hear your actual reviews once you get some use out of it. She is gonna be nice!! What was your reasoning for going aluminum over fiber?
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Per Volvo..., 10,000 # per outdrive. Anything more than that you are taxing the propulsion. Weight is weight Cat v Monohull. Ray, this is just an fyi. I have no interest in telling you what you need, but I've done this dance with Josh and Cory. I have an idea what you are going to face. Just go in w your eyes wide open.
    I know what ACI is telling you. I heard the same thing.... don't do shafts... too slow... inefficient, etc...

When we renovated our boat I didn't have ACI do it even though my Cat is an Armstrong for a number of reasons, but one was because he wanted to do outdrives. They refused to do V-drives which is what we wanted.
    FYI..... we get a 1mpg fuel burn at cruising speed (25knots) and have a speed of 35mph WOT on our boat which we put a pair of V-drives in w a pair of Cummins QSB 6.7 550 hp engines. 28" props. 48 feet LOA, 37,000# loaded.
    Caveat Emptor.....
    Been pretty busy lately but found some time to get back on here. To respond I would have to say this, ACI actually recommended I go with shafts. I declined though because of one primary reason, and that is speed. With these engines on shafts I would never make it to where I need to go daily to fish. For pleasure you can do as you please but for business I don't have the luxury. The drives are more efficient then shafts and faster with the same power. To put things in perspective I would say this. I run an average of about 7 hrs daily of burn time which means I only have about 5 hours to get my job done. That's pushing it to the limit every day. Sure if I had more money I'd have gone with different power but this is what fit into my budget. I didn't exactly have 70k laying around for a pair of Konrad drives. Also I'd have to say I disagree about weight being weight. IMO Catamaran hulls perform entirely different than monohulls. They're like comparing apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Hey Ray, I cant wait to hear your actual reviews once you get some use out of it. She is gonna be nice!! What was your reasoning for going aluminum over fiber?

Weight, efficiency, and they are user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_h View Post
    If Volvo is your choice of engine why not go with IPS?

It is the most fuel efficient drive system.
    Money primarily

Internet haters are gonna hate whatever you choose. Volvo drives hate weight. My father in law marine surveyor sees most sterndrive issues come up from 2 scenarios: 1) running heavy in heavy seas, climbing waves 2) punching the throttle when heavy. I think so long as the straight crazy even when fully loaded after a great day is still light for the specs, the you will be ok. There have been problems for the bowpicker fleet due to running hard. Lastly I think the only more “controversial” move you could have done was throwing twin, triple, or quad Evinrude Etecs on the transom. Funny thing is I am doing just that with my tour boat this season.

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast