Thread: AK Muzzleloader Hunts

Default AK Muzzleloader Hunts

It's my impression that Alaska has fewer muzzleloader only hunts than most of the other states. Is this because other places have more hunting in populated areas? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense since inlines with sabot's, etc. have ballistics that aren't too far behind modern rifles. It would be nice to have more options. When are we going to have a flintlock seasons?
    Louis Knapp

Part of it is that the special seasons are relatively new to Alaska, compared to other states like Pennsylvania. It may be little more than lack of proposals to the board of game.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

User groups fighting amongst each other. One group feels another group is getting special treatment, when these hunts are proposed. So when a proposal is submitted to have a hunt for muzzleloader, archery the rifle hunters get in a big huff.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    User groups fighting amongst each other. One group feels another group is getting special treatment, when these hunts are proposed. So when a proposal is submitted to have a hunt for muzzleloader, archery the rifle hunters get in a big huff.
    Yeah, remember the s... show here a while back about youth hunts...
    “Move that fat ass Henry!”
    “Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Special hunts are special tools to fit a situation, usually in the face of larger more established special interests.

Sad to report, after growing abuse on our place in the Rockies we had to post it after more than 30 years of "By Permission Only." It just wasn't working. Too many guys cutting fences to channel elk and mule deer movement onto and off our place, guys sneaking on claming they had permission, and much worse. We sit right on the boundary of a GMU, and we even had guys using drones to harass elk herds into crossing the river from one side to the other so they'd be on the "right" GMU for their permits.

Got so thoroughly leaked off that we posted it. Now the only hunting is youth hunting- one youth with one adult at a time, each by permission and their names and dates filed with the local game wardens. And the wardens have a key to every lock on every gate.

If I can't do a darned thing about today's slob hunters I give up on them. Hopefully tightly controlled conditions for the next generation of hunters will thin the gene pool of slobs. I know for sure that I have a very bad "anti-hunting" rep with the slobs now. Perfect!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Yep it was bad... how can adults be against youth hunts?. Easy selfish/greedy/I have to get mine/ adults..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Yep it was bad... how can adults be against youth hunts?. Easy selfish/greedy/I have to get mine/ adults..
    And they wonder why the younger generation is not as interested in hunting. Don't get the kids out there hunting there won't be any hunting for anyone. Course most adults could care less about the younger generation getting to hunt but that is a sad thought in my book.