Thread: What brass for 410 shells?

Default What brass for 410 shells?

We got a beagle and are getting back into rabbit hunting. I have a little light weight 410 that I want to carry through the thicket. The price of 410 shells is nuts so I am going to roll my own. I have both 444 Marlin brass and 303 British brass that I can use.

Any of you guys done this? what are your recommendations?

This gun is my first shotgun that I got when I was a kid and want to use it. This kind of thread always draws the response....Use a 20 gauge! Save your breath on that line. I'm using the 410!

Try this article on for size. I've only used the Magtech version, but a run through usual sources convinces me they aren't made any more.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thanks BB. Nobody aint got any of the Magtech brass. I will fire form some 303 British cases.
    Temps are Alaska like right now. Suppose to be negative 10-20 the next 5 days with wind so I need a project or two for inside the house.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Thanks BB. Nobody aint got any of the Magtech brass. I will fire form some 303 British cases.
    Temps are Alaska like right now. Suppose to be negative 10-20 the next 5 days with wind so I need a project or two for inside the house.
    Temps like Alaska ugh??? It is a mild 38 degrees here...lots of rain, but it isn't freezing!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    EKC:
    That sounds like fun. Makes me wish I hadda 410.

And, I HATE the 410 .

I hope to hear how this project works out.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by play2mefish View Post
    Temps like Alaska ugh??? It is a mild 38 degrees here...lots of rain, but it isn't freezing!
    Maybe not your part huh🤭!

I use 444Marlin brass which works pretty good. I use a 44 mag gas check inverted over the powder then a thin card board wad, 3/4 oz 9s and another thin cardboard wad glued in with silicone. It's pretty effective on grouse or bunnies to about 30 yds. You don't need a whole lot of cases as they last forever.

Iíve inherited Grampaís old 410 bolt action and occasionally take it out with the dogs for spruce hens or rabbits. When I saw the price they wanted for new shells for a box I about fell over. I ended up picking up 3, maybe 4 boxes of old shells at a an estate sale. I think I paid about $4 bucks a box and one box was the old paper shells. Still have at least 2 boxes left after buying them about 6-7 yrs ago.
    Theres a good story to go with this old shot gun. When I was about 9-10 yrs old in 1967ish, my stern old gramps offered to let me use this shotgun at his lake cabin to go hunting with my older brother for ducks along the lakes edge. My older brother carried a single shot 20 gauge that I still have to this day. Anyhow, Gramps had warned me to make sure I leaned up against a big tree before i pulled the trigger. So my older brother and I jumped a couple mallards and they fly beautifully right by us both and he fires his shot, misses, and keeps yelling at me to Ďshootí! Iím looking for a big tree to lean on and thereís none close by, so I donít pull the trigger. The next several hundred yards walking I revealed Grampís warning. Long story shorter, I made my brother shoot the 410 ttwice in a row in front of me before I would pull the trigger. And when I did try it after my brother took two shots, I WAS leaning against a big tree.
    I could not believe my old Gramps pulled one over on me! I never looked at stern old Gramps the same way after that trick. I hadnít seen that shotgun for about 30 years when he gave it to me from its hidey spot under his bed on a visit with him and Gramma back about 1997-8. Just a year or two before his death.
    So that little 410 and the 20 Gauge have special meaning for me.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I use 444Marlin brass which works pretty good. I use a 44 mag gas check inverted over the powder then a thin card board wad, 3/4 oz 9s and another thin cardboard wad glued in with silicone. It's pretty effective on grouse or bunnies to about 30 yds. You don't need a whole lot of cases as they last forever.
    When I posted this thread my thought was I bet Rbuck has done this. After all he his very resourceful in regards to ammo. Iím going to give it a try!
    Thanks for being a forerunner in this kind of stuff. Itís always good to have a lead to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Iíve inherited Grampaís old 410 bolt action and occasionally take it out with the dogs for spruce hens or rabbits. When I saw the price they wanted for new shells for a box I about fell over. I ended up picking up 3, maybe 4 boxes of old shells at a an estate sale. I think I paid about $4 bucks a box and one box was the old paper shells. Still have at least 2 boxes left after buying them about 6-7 yrs ago.
    Theres a good story to go with this old shot gun. When I was about 9-10 yrs old in 1967ish, my stern old gramps offered to let me use this shotgun at his lake cabin to go hunting with my older brother for ducks along the lakes edge. My older brother carried a single shot 20 gauge that I still have to this day. Anyhow, Gramps had warned me to make sure I leaned up against a big tree before i pulled the trigger. So my older brother and I jumped a couple mallards and they fly beautifully right by us both and he fires his shot, misses, and keeps yelling at me to Ďshootí! Iím looking for a big tree to lean on and thereís none close by, so I donít pull the trigger. The next several hundred yards walking I revealed Grampís warning. Long story shorter, I made my brother shoot the 410 ttwice in a row in front of me before I would pull the trigger. And when I did try it after my brother took two shots, I WAS leaning against a big tree.
    I could not believe my old Gramps pulled one over on me! I never looked at stern old Gramps the same way after that trick. I hadnít seen that shotgun for about 30 years when he gave it to me from its hidey spot under his bed on a visit with him and Gramma back about 1997-8. Just a year or two before his death.
    So that little 410 and the 20 Gauge have special meaning for me.
    I did that shoulder against the tree thing once too only it just so happened that I was sitting with my right shoulder against a tree when I shot at a deer with my 20 gauge with a slug. I was 14 or 15 at the time and man did that pinch me. I had a whole lot of clothes on which helped but I do remember grandpa thought it was funnier than heck. He passed some of that twisted sense of humor on to me. Rock climbers and folk who dive off of cliffs into mud puddles donít get much sympathy from me when they have an oh $#!t moment!

I would not part with my 410 for love nor money!

EKC, if you need some 303 brit brass, just PM me. I'd be happy to mail some down. I've got lots.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."