Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Board Of Game Meeting

Great information. I am so excited about this game meeting.

ClearWater,

Don't get too excited. I have found these BOG or BOF meetings good for networking. Generally one can guess the way the Board will vote ahead of time. There are rarely any surprises. If you are going to give public comment, every so often they have a workshop on that or at least a handout at the meetings. Don't go first. Listen to what others say and more important how they say it. Have a well prepared and rehearsed message and you will be "heard" much better.

Default Kodiak goat problem

Experts say kill more nannies and add additional oportunity

http://www.kodiakdailymirror.com/new...2b1e94681.html

In 2008 the population estimate was 2200 animals according to the KDM article it is now 3500 animals and rising. The 5 year harvest average is around 300. It appears to me that changing the bag limit to two has had little effect. I guess because everyone wants a trophy billy.

I`m not sure what the harvest ratio is between guided nonresident and unguide resident is but obviously they are`nt selling many $6000 goat hunts.
    I think its time to reevaluate Kodiak`s nonresident "must be guided" clause.. There are hundreds of non res deer hunters who visit Kodiak that would love a chance at nannies. What say you resident hunters. Will you share the bounty??

I made this post on the game management forum and I have sent similar comments to the BOG.

"There are several proposals (94,95,96,97) that pretain to goat harvest season and sex. They imply some areas are being under exploited and over populated and that additional opportunity is needed to control the populations.

Is it more opportunity or more effort that is needed ?

I am a property owner and long time on again off again resident of Alaska currently a nonresident. I have harvested and participated in many legal and successful goat hunts and I have hunted trophy black tail in alpine meadows where they share the same habitat and terrain as goats. Too me the tactical difficulty is about the same. You go high and they go higher until the mountain runs out.
    There are many people like me living part time in area DG 480 (south half of Kodiak Is.). We are property owning part time residents there mostly for commercial fishing and recreational activities. Most are avid outdoorsman and sportsman, we know the country. We can only hunt deer, fowl and ptarmigan from our properties as nonresidents.
    I have never really appreciated the economic reasoning for the "must be guided" nonresident kodiak goat hunt stipulation. How about giving us a 1 per season unguided nonresident nanny registration tag. I`m sure it would help the over population problem on Kodiak."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default BOG and AC Process Info

INFORMATION NOTICE
    For Immediate Release: February 8, 2019

Alaska Fish and Game Regulatory Process Training Events Announced

The Boards Support Section in the Alaska Department of Fish & Game (ADF&G) is hosting several training sessions for the public in the next two months. Boards Support facilitates the Boards of Fisheries and Game regulatory process and the fish and game advisory committee system. The training courses offer a range of information from an overview of Alaskaís fish and game regulatory process to how to be effective at a board meeting.

Trainings, dates and locations include:

How to Be Effective at a Board of Fisheries Meeting
    February 21, Thursday, noon-1pm
    Anchorage Sheraton Howard Rock Ballroom, 401 E 6th Avenue, Anchorage (at the lunch break during the Alaska Peninsula, Chignik, and Aleutian Islands Finfish Meeting)

Understanding Alaskaís Fish and Game Regulatory Process
    March 7, Thursday, 7-9pm
    Menard Sports & Events Center, Meeting Room #3, 1001 S. Clapp St, Wasilla

March 13, Wednesday, 6-8pm
    William Jack Hernandez Sport Fish Hatchery, 941 N. Reeve Blvd, Anchorage

April 5, Friday, 4-5pm
    April 6, Saturday, 2-3pm
    Great Alaska Sportsmen Show, Sullivan Arena, 1600 Gambell Street, Anchorage

For detailed information please contact Glenn Haight, glenn.haight@alaska.gov, 907-465-6095.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    I am a property owner and long time on again off again resident of Alaska currently a nonresident. I have harvested and participated in many legal and successful goat hunts and I have hunted trophy black tail in alpine meadows where they share the same habitat and terrain as goats. Too me the tactical difficulty is about the same. You go high and they go higher until the mountain runs out.
    There are many people like me living part time in area DG 480 (south half of Kodiak Is.). We are property owning part time residents there mostly for commercial fishing and recreational activities. Most are avid outdoorsman and sportsman, we know the country. We can only hunt deer, fowl and ptarmigan from our properties as nonresidents.
    I have never really appreciated the economic reasoning for the "must be guided" nonresident kodiak goat hunt stipulation. How about giving us a 1 per season unguided nonresident nanny registration tag. I`m sure it would help the over population problem on Kodiak."
    The must be guided rule is in codified regulations........meaning it is a law set by the legislature. The BoG cannot change that. However, the BoG found a way to give out "Guide required" non res permits for moose in certain areas of Alaska. Perhaps they could figure out special non guided non res permits also!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Ya... not gonna find much sympathy here. Pretty simple to me, your trying to utilize a resource set aside for Alaska residents, and YOU ARENT a resident so you donít get to participate. If you would like to participate, become a resident, or go hunt black bears on POW with all the other non residents. Owning a seasonal recreational shack doesnít change the conversation for me 🤷*♂️, just be glad you are currently allowed to exploit the opportunities you are 👍

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Experts say kill more nannies and add additional oportunity

http://www.kodiakdailymirror.com/new...2b1e94681.html

In 2008 the population estimate was 2200 animals according to the KDM article it is now 3500 animals and rising. The 5 year harvest average is around 300. It appears to me that changing the bag limit to two has had little effect. I guess because everyone wants a trophy billy.

I`m not sure what the harvest ratio is between guided nonresident and unguide resident is but obviously they are`nt selling many $6000 goat hunts.
    I think its time to reevaluate Kodiak`s nonresident "must be guided" clause.. There are hundreds of non res deer hunters who visit Kodiak that would love a chance at nannies. What say you resident hunters. Will you share the bounty??

I made this post on the game management forum and I have sent similar comments to the BOG.

"There are several proposals (94,95,96,97) that pretain to goat harvest season and sex. They imply some areas are being under exploited and over populated and that additional opportunity is needed to control the populations.

Is it more opportunity or more effort that is needed ?

Default No sympathy needed !

Quote Originally Posted by jonath View Post
    Ya... not gonna find much sympathy here. Pretty simple to me, your trying to utilize a resource set aside for Alaska residents, and YOU ARENT a resident so you donít get to participate. If you would like to participate, become a resident, or go hunt black bears on POW with all the other non residents. Owning a seasonal recreational shack doesnít change the conversation for me 🤷*♂️, just be glad you are currently allowed to exploit the opportunities you are 👍
    My apologies Sir I did not mean to infer I was seeking your sympathy. I was simply offering a solution to the over population of goats on Kodiak Island with no intention of exploiting your resource that is out of control.

To set the record straight prior to 2018 I was a 15 year bonified resident and many years before that.
    I have recently changed my residency to care take a 90 year old family member and when its over I will reclaim my Alaska residency.

In the past 20 years I have hosted and Transported over 200 Alaska residents and as many nonresident hunters from my humble seasonal recreation SHACK and I have done more to protect the rights of Alaska RESIDENT hunters than you will ever know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a heads up, but I have heard that the BOG is considering moving the start date of the meeting to the 14th. Considering that the meeting dates are announced in the proposal book months in advance, and that ACís and members of the public that plan to attend make plans I think it is totally inappropriate for the board to change the date at essentially the last minute. Itís almost as if they want to make it difficult to participate .
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Might be a moot point. Dunleavyís budget may zero out travel expenses for AC representatives. Waiting to find out, but that will insure that the only folks who can make it to the meetings are the wealthy and the paid lobbyists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I donít know if I would take it that far. Look how many people spend ALL VOLUNTEER time going to the ACs now, or complaining on forums. Itís not ideal but someone will fill the roll 👍 what it will do though is not allow meetings in rural Alaska, because of cost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12